1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Brewery's unethical behavior in Chicago?

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Flyway, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Flyway

Flyway Zealot (85) Wisconsin Oct 22, 2012

2. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

OMG, really? I read that tweet...Didn't think Beerpulse was, umm,...so desperate for news?
    Vav likes this.
  3. Flyway

Flyway Zealot (85) Wisconsin Oct 22, 2012

Not sure I follow. I am assuming you are taking it as completely unsubstantiated twitter garbage (which is probably the correct assumption)?
  4. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

Unethical behavior in Chicago?!?! Nooooooooooo!
  5. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (435) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

Hold the phone; unethical business practices? In Chicago!? Since he specifies a larger brewery, I've gotta assume he's talking about Lagunitas or Goose with the latter being more likely.
    Brunite likes this.
  6. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (445) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

holy shit, you mean the most corrupt city in the most corrupt state in the country has unethical business practices? shock! awe!

dunno if he would consider goose to be craft. maybe he means deschutes?
  7. Vav

Vav Savant (485) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

Hey guys, i'm now selling my BA posts & Tweets, FYI. So if you'd like to see the @beeradam account to respond to Greg's tweet, or the Vav account advertise your son's/daughter's birthday, BM a reasonable monetary offer.
    drewba, JohnB87, beergurujr and 14 others like this.
  8. MarcatGSB

and that tweet was followed by someone (BeerPulse I think) asking him to call out who it was, and the response was something like "I don't call out brewers, I call out practices"...blah blah.
    I'm not making judgment at this point, but this is coming from the same guy that says German brewers are boring, and he's ready to change the culture over there. Come on Greg. If I had a dollar for everytime I saw a 6 month old Ruination on the shelf...
    beerepiphany likes this.
  9. MarcatGSB

YES, FUCK YES. Thank you.
  10. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

You know, there's a brewery bus tour that's on my FB feed and they've been posting the same sort of cryptic junk for a few days now. Say what you mean or don't mention anything. We're not in high school.
  11. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

The pay for play culture in Chicago has been known for a long time. Greg and Stone have always been a vocal opponent of this. If you have paid attention this is nothing new from Greg and he is not the only brewery to make similar comments. Deb Carey has made the comment that brewers call Chicago a "whore's market".
  12. Lansman

Lansman Savant (400) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

If this is in reference to what I think it is, anyone who knows what's going on in the current distributor environment in Chicago knows the brewery being referenced.
  13. lurchingbeast

But why the passive-aggressive b.s. from Koch? Be arrogant or whatever your marketing claims these days. Don't be like all of my ex's.
  14. MarcatGSB

I must have missed the pictures of Greg beaten and bloodied with an apple tied in his mouth...
    PDZ, MarkIntihar, Vav and 5 others like this.
  15. lurchingbeast

That was me in that picture. Last time I oblige your continuous requests for pics....
    MarkIntihar, Vav and MarcatGSB like this.
  16. Etan

Etan Advocate (745) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

What's the point of Tweeting about it if you're not going to give details. As it is now, it's just a vague, substanceless accusation of something or other against nobody in particular...
  17. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Savant (325) Illinois Dec 31, 2010

doesn't that pretty much sum up 90% of social media these days?
    Hdredfern, misterid and Etan like this.
  18. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

Don't quote me on this but I think there has been bad blood between Stone and Lagunitas in the past.

Edit: Still would like to hear some details though.
  19. MarcatGSB

Long haired hippy.
  20. ChefBergo

ChefBergo Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 9, 2011

I wouldn't think Goose because they are already part of AB-Inbev and as such have a decent distribution right? I'm not surprised by corrupt business practices at all...it is Chicago.
    WassailWilly likes this.
  21. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Savant (325) Illinois Dec 31, 2010

C'mon people, isn't the big news here that AB is trying to buy out Grupo Modelo? If the price of Corona Light goes up...wait, I'll just stop there...
  22. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Why did Greg grow a craft beard?

Anyways - wonder what he is accusing Goose of doing.
    CBlack85 and kipp724 like this.
  23. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

I think people are really overreacting to Greg's comments. This is nothing new. For some perspective, here is a portion of an article with the quote from Deb Carey I referenced before. No one is going to give Deb much of a hard time for her comments, they are not all that different from Gregs.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/arti...hicago-beer-market-crains-investigation-finds
  24. lurchingbeast

But Koch is maybe possibly thinking about considering calling out another craft brewery!!1!
    mychalg9 likes this.
  25. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (435) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

I think the difference is that Deb was implying BMC were driving the grafting/kickbacks, which we all assume but Greg is accusing a craft brewer which some may not assume.
  26. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

He said he calls out practices, not brewers. lol
  27. lurchingbeast

"I'm not mad at you, I'm mad at your choices"
  28. MarcatGSB

Does anyone know details on the DFH v. Glunz lawsuit? I know New Holland was on there as well, but was DFH not being repped like they thought because of this sort of thing? I'm interested to dig more into it.
    http://www.guysdrinkingbeer.com/dogfish-head-v-glunz-the-battle-over-reasonable-compensation/
    There is a good look at the lawsuit, with the entire legal document available...
    From what I have heard from distributors, 10 times the annual profit is the going rate for distro rights.
  29. otrejo

otrejo Savant (270) Illinois Mar 8, 2011

If he doesn't name names, he can't be sued. And if any of his followers are associated with the brewery in question, they probably got the message.
    Etan likes this.
  30. Brunite

Brunite Savant (420) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

Speak for yourself! Er...opps. My cover is blown:oops:.

Kidding aside....things ARE getting better in Chicago. Al Capone...IS dead. One of our 2 imprisoned Governors was released to home confinement yesterday. We have the Prez as our favorite son and his bud is mayor. We are STILL the land of Lincoln. Lagunitas is coming. We can still cross behind the cheddar-curtain to get our New Glarus. The Hawks are 6-0-1. Derrick Rose is closer to returning than not. Da Bears can maybe draft some O-Linemen this year. The Cubs are rebuilding. And most importantly.....BCBS was available like never before across this town. So what's up with the vague tweet stuff?
    Rempo, JimSmetana, ppohio and 2 others like this.
  31. Brunite

Just a guess here...but, perhaps getting ready to do a beard-yeast brew if the stuff Rogue is going to put out takes off?
    jgluck likes this.
  32. MarcatGSB

How do you tell the difference between a hipster beard and a lazy man I need to grow this for warmth beard?
  33. Maybe this is just paranoia which would fall in line with him looking more and more like the Unibomber all the time.
    Brunite likes this.
  34. WHOA! Dude's that serious?!?! This shit just got scandalous, y'all...
    jegross2 likes this.
  35. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

awe cmon, tell us!
  36. lurchingbeast

Yea, really man. No need to go all Greg Koch on us.
  37. robboyd

robboyd Savant (285) Indiana Aug 7, 2011

What's up with the tip toe? Out with it if you know the reference. I feel that many in this thread are "in the know" of the distribution environment yet I haven't seen any evidence of a particular brewery being the one in question.
  38. Brunite

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with this girl who knows what is going on in the current distributor environment. I guess it's pretty serious.
  39. nachos

nachos Aficionado (215) Minnesota Jun 4, 2012

Word on the street is, all of the tattoos on Three Floyds employees are fake.
    NpD, pudgym29, jgluck and 9 others like this.
  40. robboyd

robboyd Savant (285) Indiana Aug 7, 2011

Just stopping by to say that I miss Trey and it will take me weeks to get accustomed to Chuck.