1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Brewery's unethical behavior in Chicago?

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Flyway, Feb 1, 2013.

1. JakeT469

JakeT469 Savant (330) Illinois Jan 13, 2012

Magee vs Koch in a no rope barbed wire electrified cage of death match. Time to settle the score Japan death match style. Enough of this back and forth Internet shit talking garbage!

2. Grohnke

Grohnke Savant (380) Illinois Sep 15, 2009

Saw magees tweet earlier, was kinda bummed he used the same facebook ambiguity as koch. But count me in as patiently awaiting koch's rebuttal

3. To throw some more fuel on the rumor fire, Boulevard just switched to the MillerCoors family of distributors in Chicago apparently.

4. Windy City was sold to Reyes Holdings in December. Reyes also owns Chicago Beverage Systems, part of the MillerCoors distribution network.

5. Wow. Mcgee is not at all shy about throwing down a gauntlet and havin it rattle around on the floor, is he?

6. trbergman

trbergman Savant (405) Illinois Nov 17, 2006

Yes, but Boulevard was formerly distributed by Fox Deluxe, not Windy City.

As for Lagunitas, I can't even get all of the cases I order. If they can't keep up with demand, why the fuck would they give beer away for free? Sense, this makes none.

Edit: By the above, I mean to say that the allegation against Lagunitas is bogus, just to be clear.

beergurujr likes this.
  7. I wonder if Greg's ambiguity is biting him in the ass. It's possible he's not referring to Lagunitas right? In which case be probably should have named names or said nothing at all.

8. beergurujr

beergurujr Savant (350) Illinois Oct 27, 2003

Fox DeLuxe, a very small specialty beer distro, lost about 3/4 of their business with the departure of Boulevard. Tough break for FDL, they're good guys.

9. I just saw that on BeerPulse. Show's what I know!

10. TMoney2591

TMoney2591 Champion (895) Illinois Apr 21, 2009

Truth. Always quick and helpful. I hope they pick up some good stuff to pick up the slack...

beergurujr likes this.
  11. TimothyC100

TimothyC100 Initiate (15) Feb 12, 2013

Apparently, you sir, Mr Magee seem to care an awful lot, writing about it and all...

12. Phooey on Boulevard leaving Fox Deluxe. Time comes when a boy outgrows his sneakers! Only, they seemed like family to each other.

I met one of the Fox Deluxe sons at a festival this summer. He was wearing tie-dye and had a friendly way about him -- I sense they might be a good fit for Lagunitas.

beergurujr likes this.
  13. From what I understand, part of the Reyes deal was Lagunitas signing a longer contract. If lagunitas left that would be a massive hit to the Windy City portfolio. I can't verify if this is 100% true, but I heard it from a reliable source.

14. StoneGreg

StoneGreg Savant (290) California May 16, 2002

Your post is accurate. They have already indicated they are listening and got the message, although I don't have high expectations that the course will change.

Apologies to all for my sending out a 140-or-less tweet that was a bit cryptic. I had no idea so many folks would get in a tizz over me not being a direct snitch. So be it. I'll be more careful in the future (he says without the expectation that he'll be able comply with his own good advice ;-]-= ).

The craft brewing industry is a wonderful industry, and as Sam (DFH) has famously said, it is 99.9% asshole free. I have more wonderful friends from this industry than from any other facet in my life. Just got to host my good friends Jason and Jim of Two Brothers Brewing, and homebrewers (and soon to be pro-brewers), the Aleman guys in San Diego last week for our collaboration beer we're calling the Aleman / Two Brothers / Stone Dayman Coffee IPA. I'll be visiting Chicago in March for its release (at Two Brothers on March 17, and the Hopleaf on March 18). Can't wait as I friggin' love that town. Anything I ever say about Chicago comes from that place.

We serve more beers from other craft breweries on tap and in the bottle in our restaurant than our own beers. We're upping from 32 beers on draft to 40 in our soon-to-be-open 2nd spot in San Diego. There will be guest San Diego craft beers on tap and bottle in our upcoming spot in the San Diego airport. We have had 40+ guest breweries at our annual charity Stone Anniversary Celebration & Invitational Beer Festival. We distribute for more than 35 great specialty and craft breweries in the five counties of SoCal. We have brewed more than a dozen collaboration beers over the years. We have hosted the Welcome Reception (1400+ industry folks in attendance) for the Craft Brewers Conference when it was here in 2008. We have had to do none of that. We do it because we love the craft brewing business, and we love craft beers.

I am in Brazil at the moment to meet with Brazilian craft brewers, and to view their operations and give advice (not saying they need any!) and support as I can. They are treating me like an honored guest and I could not be more humbled by their hospitality. No, not looking to start Stone Brazil, so please no rumors (although what an awesomely cool idea that would be, huh!).

OK, back to paying attention to the goings on here in Rio, then Curitiba, so I won't be able to respond the rest of the trip (don't want to be rude to my hosts).

Cheers!

Greg

archey, baker2gs, tommyz and 2 others like this.
  15. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

Cant be a lawsuit if what you say is true....

teal and MarcatGSB like this.
  16. Apparently the way way to kill a thread is to use the word "lawsuit".

Or, everything that really needed to be unspoken was unspoken.