1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Brewing a Mexican Lager need help with water profile

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by JUNCK, Apr 3, 2013.

1. JUNCK

JUNCK Member

I am looking for a water profile that will match this style, the recipe says soft water. I use EZ Water to figure out my profiles but I need help with the end result. My water profile looks like this:

Ca=17, Mg=7.8, Na=14, Cl=10, SO4=12, Alkalinity=90

So if someone has a water profile that would match this style I have my report and software to figure out what I need to add to my water to get to the appropriate profile.

Or maybe since this style needs small amounts of minerals I should start with RO water? If so, what needs to be added?
  2. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Member

Your water is pretty soft, as you have low Ca and Mg. Your alkalinity is a little high.

What are you brewing, something like Corona or Negra Modelo? That would make a little difference.
  3. JUNCK

JUNCK Member

I am brewing the Ska Mexican Lager clone from Can You Brew It.

83.5% 2-Row
    3.1% Munich
    3.1% Victory
    10.3% Dextrose
  4. VikeMan

VikeMan Member

I haven't had that beer, but since they specified soft water, I would probably start with RO water (or your water) and add Calcium Chloride and Gypsum (at about a 1.5 to 1.0 ratio) until I get at least 50 ppm of calcium. After that, adjust with acid if needed to bring mash pH into range.

Edit: I see you added the grain bill... you're probably going to need some acid if you want to keep the water soft and also mash in the ideal pH range
  5. jdauria

jdauria Member

Are you basically looking for a water profile for Mexican water to adjust to? Brewersfriend.com has one Mexican profile listed under water profiles. I would think you would want a base profile for the style of lager...for example Dos Equis and Negra Modelo are Vienna lager styles, Bohemia is basically a Bohemian pilsner style, Corona well basically a lite American lager. So if you know which base style of lager it is, then you can go from there.
  6. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Member

My thoughts also.
  7. JUNCK

JUNCK Member

Ok cool, I will do this. Thanks!
  8. JUNCK

JUNCK Member

One more question: I see on Brewersfriend.com that their profiles all list HC03 (Bicarbonate) and I only know my CaCOs (Alkalinity). How can I convert Bicarbonate to Alkalinity?