1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Brewing and water treatment in 1872

Discussion in 'UK & Ireland' started by Sundnes, May 2, 2012.

1. Sundnes

Sundnes Aspirant (35) May 2, 2012

I am writing a book about the Norwegian-American William Copeland who became a beer pioneer in Japan in the 1870-ies. In 1872 he went to UK, probably London, but maybe other towns as well to learn more about brewing. It's impossible to find out where he actually went. But could anyone help me with suggesting places, people, breweries he might have visited to to learn the latest and best of British brewing at the time? He also got hold of a bottle of bisulphate of calcium/lime to harden the water on the same journey to England. Is it possible to suggest where he got it or to name other breweries who used this to treat the water at the time? He also got some kind of a pamphlet for the same kind of treatment from "a well known chemist in England": Dr. Daighton. Could he be traced? Any attempts to answer anything of this would be highly appreciated.

2. Zimbo likes this.
  3. Seconded that recommendation. Sounds like a fascinating project, keep us updated on it!

4. Sundnes

Thank you very much! Glad to see that the forum works, for me as well. I will keep you updated!

5. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

The obvious places, other than London, would be Burton and Edinburgh.

As for who would be using water treatment, anyone trying to brew Burton-style Pale Ale without the right type of water. Which, seeing as few places have that water in Britain, that could be just about anywhere, including London.

Not heard of Dr. Daighton.

6. Sundnes

Makes sense. Thank you!

7. Sundnes

One more thing, but I suppose it doesn't make anything easier at all: 16.th of Apry 1880 W.Ellis. Esqr. London was sent a letter from William Copeland in Japan. I know that the brewer the autumn before had received corks and taps from the same, and that he had ordered Bales beer corks, Bale quarts and Bale pints from the same W. Ellis earlier the same year. Just in case anyone is familiar with the name of Ellis.

8. Only in terms of Rugby :p

9. Sundnes

:) At least we keep the link to 1872.

10. mikeg

mikeg Initiate (15) May 22, 2012

I wonder if Sundnes has come across the name Edgar Abbott in his research. I am trying to write something about him because of his sporting prowess. He father was a famous brewer in the UK (but went bankrupt around 18861) and Edgar lived in Japan from 1870 to his death in 1890. In 1885 he set up Japan Brewery with J Dodds and took over Copeland's site in Yamate. It is their company that became Kirin Brewery. Foreign community in Yokohama was very small in 1870 and I feel there must have been some connection between these two guys.
    I understand a lot of Copeland's letters apparently survive and I wonder if the name Abbott appears in them. Edgar's old address used to be the Brewery, Bow in London famous for its IPA. Copeland may have visited that brewery......

11. Sundnes

Oops, for some reason I didn't see the last posting before something else must have taken all attention for a while.
    The mentioning of Edgar Abbott is very interesting, it must somehow be the Hodgson brewery? I haven't found Mr Abbott in my research before, but I've had a long break concerning Japan. I know that Wilson Walker also was involved in establishing the Japan Brewery, but I suppose that dosen't help you. It migh be too late anyhow, but I will watch out. He might be mentioned among other people who are buried at the Foreign Cemetery in Yokohama.