1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Brewing & Brewing Related Stuffs 02/08 Edition

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by jbakajust1, Feb 8, 2013.

1. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (500) Oregon Aug 25, 2009 Staff Member

Anybody brewing or doing any brewing related stuffs this weekend? No brewing for me, but I am packaging an IPA (first time kegging) and a Black IPA from the same mash and boil. Different yeast and Dry Hops. How bout yall?
  2. MrOH

MrOH Savant (440) Maryland Jul 5, 2010

Nothing too fun here. Just peeling labels. Maybe bottle the blueberry mead to free up a carboy to put an impy stout into secondary with some bourbon soaked oak.
  3. I dunno. Thinking about an American Light Lager (just to piss around with my ability to make clean lager) but still on the fence and unsure of the time I will have.
  4. GatorBeer

GatorBeer Savant (350) Florida Feb 2, 2010

Bottling a 100% brett c. pale ale today
  5. crawfman

crawfman Disciple (70) Missouri Feb 27, 2012

Hopefully bottling a 2.5 gallon batch of a sour wheat/hef that was inspired by Jolly Pumpkin's Bam Weizen...I included the bottle dregs too. It's been sitting for well over a year now and tastes great! Was also wanting to bottle my persimmon blonde sour but still needs more time on the fruit. Also planning to keg up my Hippie Stank Buttcrack Spiced Saison with lavender, coriander, and rose hips (wife says it smells like a hippie).
  6. Likely brewing a Pale Wheat Ale tonight with Golden Promise, White Wheat, and Aromatic malts with Riwaka and Centennial hops with WLP090

Half batch of Roggenbier on Sunday - very excited for this one

Carbing up a different Pale Wheat Ale which was 2 Row, White Wheat, and Munich with Amarillo and Motueka hops with WLP090

Drinking my Vanilla Irish Dry Stout
  7. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

Bottling 15.5 gallons of Flanders Red thats been sitting in a Cab barrel for a year.

Brewing a 5 gallon BIAB batch of a Cascadian Dark Ale with Mystery Hops for a contest (Pro-Am Qualifier for GABF) and then 10 gallons of Imperial Milk Stout, which will become 5 gallons of a Vanilla Chai Spiced Imperial Milk Stout, 2.5 gallons Imperial Milk Stout, 2.5 gallons Peanut Butter Chocolate Imperial Milk Stout.

Last batches before in full thesis & publication writing mode [I need beer to last me through the next 2-3 months].
    LostTraveler and NiceFly like this.
  8. Possibly adding a ball valve and a Blichmann Brewmometer to my new 15 gal Bayou Classic kettle. I have the parts, I just need to work up the courage to drill into my shiny new pot :eek:

Also, need to fire up my new Blichmann burner for a test run to see what my boil off is...
  9. Brewing a California Common today. Also getting ready to lager my Oktoberfest, just waiting for it to finish attenuation.
  10. Sounds painful! but the beer sounds delicious.

Good luck!
    barfdiggs likes this.
  11. Hopped up, low gravity red ale.
    Probably beer gunning some bottles of Kentucky Common-ish beer too.
  12. ipas-for-life

ipas-for-life Savant (400) Virginia Feb 28, 2012

Bottling an Ipa on Saturday and brewing an Imperial Stout on Sunday.
  13. Red, hoppy ale with simcoe and cascade, dry hopped with simcoe, and a boat-load of it...
  14. premierpro

premierpro Savant (290) Michigan Mar 21, 2009

I am bottling a Coconut Stout. I made this for my wife and she does not want it in a keg.
  15. I'd prefer it in a 5 gal growler myself ;)

Why not a keg?
  16. premierpro

She does not drink as frequently as I do,and I have found that after 24 years of marrige it is easier to do as she asks!
  17. I hear you! Her wanting it in bottles rather than a keg is a champagne problem--better than than her hating the hobby!
  18. premierpro

She puts up with alot!
  19. 5:5:2 Nelson/ Centennial/ Calypso IPA tomorrow:

90% Pale 2-Row
    6% Wheat Malt
    2% Crystal15
    2% Carapils

WLP090

OG60
    IBU90

12 oz total between 15min, k/o, and DH

First Nelson, first San Diego Super yeast for me. A little worried about the heavy hand of Nelson. We'll see!
  20. cracker

cracker Savant (395) Pennsylvania May 2, 2004

Probably Sunday instead of tomorrow with this Nor'easter coming.

Hellesbock (10 gallons)
    18 lb German pilsner malt
    12 lb Light Munich malt
    2oz nugget @60
    2oz saaz @15
    slurry of Bohemian lager

OG 1.072
    IBU 38
  21. jmich24

jmich24 Savant (415) Michigan Jan 28, 2010

On Wednesday I brewed up an ESB with MO and EKG, touch of caramel and aromatic malt. I thought about doing a SMASH but chickened out. I was worried about it being too one note, so I toasted some of the MO and added the caramel(3%) and aromatic(3%). WLP002 is fermenting great at 67 degrees.
    sergeantstogie likes this.
  22. Naugled

Naugled Savant (455) New York Sep 25, 2007

Kegging 10 gal of Vienna and brewing 5 gal of bock and 3 gal of doppelbock.

And shoveling snow
    sergeantstogie and NiceFly like this.
  23. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (695) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

I have a stir plate with an Ardennes starter on it. And I've already done a cereal mash. I'm making a Belgian... cream ale.
  24. I have always wanted to brew this: http://www.maltosefalcons.com/recipes/dougweiser
  25. THAT sounds delicious!
  26. yinzer

yinzer Savant (385) Pennsylvania Nov 24, 2006

Did you get that from BCS?? I'm doing:

88% MO Gleneagles , I think it's a darker than most MO
    6% Aromatic
    6% Crisp C-120
    WLP013

I'm going to take a chance and go high on the mash. Still pondering about that but I'm might go >156*F. I'm still thinking about a cask ale that I had that was mashed over 160*F. Wonderful mouthfeel and malt flavors. But it was probably made with a lighter base and less specialty malts.

For my hops I'm going with horizon and some type of citrus - Citra/NS whatever.
  27. NiceFly

NiceFly Savant (375) Tajikistan Dec 22, 2011

I enjoyed the Damphbeir I made so much I am brewing 10 gallons. Then getting the starter going for a tripel.

Managed to get a job interview for next Friday. I will have to go back to being a normal human being.

I will be outside in shorts soaking up the sun;).
  28. kegging a helles today, and brewing an American Amber tomorow (Nugget/Simcoe/Centennial).
  29. sergeantstogie likes this.
  30. jmich24

jmich24 Savant (415) Michigan Jan 28, 2010

Honestly I just winged it with the ingredients I had available to me. I have not tried any of JZs recipes. I was out of work early and my wife was working late, so I decided to brew. I also mashed high, 156.

I am going to add corn sugar and an ounce of EKG to the keg and let it carbonate that way with to get a more of a "authentic" cask feel.

I am happy you dig my recipe, I have much more confidence in the final product now!
  31. FYI although I've never carbonated naturally, but from what I have heard I would suggest that you apply some pressure into the headspace otherwise you could lose all the carbonation as the keg is not necessarily airtight at low pressures.
    jmich24 likes this.
  32. If anyone cares I did it today. Single infusion mash to 145F for 3 hours (planned). Added 5+ gallons of water to the mashtun before a single (slow) runoff. My tun is brutal with flaked corn. 6.5 gallons of 1.031 wort, hopefully boiling down to 5.5-6 gallons. Bittering with .2 oz of Belma to ~10 IBUs. Hoping to get it down to 1.005 (or lower!)
  33. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

Bottling tomorrow for a competition. I still don't understand why the judges can't just pop 'round for a pint right out of the faucet. That would be so much easier.
    OddNotion and pweis909 like this.
  34. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Champion (780) Texas May 21, 2010

Just got in a bulk hops order. now I have 11 hop varieties (asterisk means more than one pound each)

cascade*
    millenium
    willamette*
    serebrianka
    super galena*
    tettnanger
    magnum
    belma*
    bravo
    cluster
    fuggles

I would like to pick up some of the most sought after varieties, but either they're not available, or way too expensive. I'm just not into spending a fortune when there's so many hop varieties that are sooooo much cheeper. None of these was over $12 a pound but most were 10-something and a few were less. Some are leaf, some are pellets. most times I don't really have a preference, unless there's a ton of hops in a recipe, in which case I prefer pellets because I lose less wort. For low-hopped recipes I suppose I slightly prefer leaf.

Besides, cascade/willamette with some magnum bittering hops sounds like a marvelous IPA to me.
  35. Brewed the Pale Wheat Ale on Friday, everything went smoothly and it is fermenting away as we speak.

Went to put a different Pale Wheat Ale on tap last night but ran out of CO2 and am not able to move my car until next weekend &#$@^@#$. So I will be cold conditioning this one for a little while until I can get some CO2 in that tank.

Performing a double decoction mash now for my Roggenbier, hoping that all goes well.
  36. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (695) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

Brewed that one yesterday and kegged a bitter today. It will have to wait for another keg to kick before it goes on tap. As per usual, I saved one glass for a pre-carbonation tasting and am really pleased with my first brew with West Yorkshire Ale yeast, even though it attenuated more than anticipated.
  37. bishopdc0

bishopdc0 Savant (400) Maine Jan 23, 2010

I've been on a crazy brew kick, brewed 30 gallons, an IPA, Imperial Stout, rauchbier and sour, last weekend with a friend, I also decided being I was stuck home due to a blizzard I would brew again, I brewed an Imperial Stout and an Imperial IPA which I will be blending together. I've done this before and came out great.
    AlCaponeJunior likes this.
  38. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Champion (780) Texas May 21, 2010

I'm just testing my second elderberry wheat It's gonna be good. Needs a little more conditioning time, but it's very similar to the first version, which was also good! Bavarian wheat yeast kicks ass! I may have to go on a wheat kick and brew another one.
  39. Ejayz

Ejayz Savant (270) Iowa May 15, 2011

Just bottled my first all grain brew today and man bottling is a PIA. I really need to start kegging!
  40. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Savant (415) Utah May 2, 2006

Just turned down the temperature control on a Cz/G Pils to start the lagering process. In a few days I start up the starter (2 stage) for a Cz dark lager, similar to Morana in the recent BYO (p. 40), although I'm shooting for something not quite as dark, SRM ~ 17 or so. Gonna try CP's Cry Havoc yeast for this one. I hope to brew it next weekend (on President's Day).