1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Brewing & Brewing Stuffs 02/22 Edition

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by jbakajust1, Feb 22, 2013.

1. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (595) Oregon Aug 25, 2009 Staff Member

Anybody else brewing this weekend or doing brew stuff? I am doing an overnight mash, 17.5# Pils, 1.8# Munich I, 1# CaraPils @155*F. 13 gallon boil with Santiam, Liberty, US Saaz. 10.5 gallons into 2 fermenters. 1 gets a cake of Munich Lager, the other gets 3724 Belgian Saison (Dupont). Also bottling my Dopplebock from 8 weeks ago (the Munich Lager cake). 1.050, 38 IBUs, 4 SRM, hoping for 1.011 and 1.005 FG respectively.

How bout yall?

2. VikeMan

VikeMan Champion (785) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

Vienna Lager

Naugled likes this.
  3. HerbMeowing

HerbMeowing Savant (395) Virginia Nov 10, 2010

Belgian golden strong ale dubbed Jursey Duvel.

4. koopa

koopa Champion (825) New Jersey Apr 20, 2008

All pilsner grain Belgian Strong Golden myself. My 50th batch and the first one I'll be bottling in 750ml cage and cork bottles

5. jlpred55

jlpred55 Savant (305) Iowa Jul 26, 2006

Bo Pils. 11lbs Floor Malted pils and 5 oz Saaz. I'll be kegging a Vienna Lager and using the cake for the Bo Pils.

6. Not too sure... Looking forward to getting my Simcoe (never brewed with them before) and contemplating a SMaSH with a new brand of MO I got 100# of last weekend...

7. MrOH

MrOH Savant (490) Maryland Jul 5, 2010

Brewed a Saison w/3711 today. All crystal hops to 26ibus plus 1oz @ 10, 2oz @ FO, 70% TF Golden Promise, 10% dark wheat malt, 10% torrified wheat, 10% black rice, and a small handful of oats that were in the cupboard for shits and giggles. First time using crystal, it smells really nice. The black rice looked like it was going to add a bunch of color during the cereal mash, and also during run-off, but then after the boil, it really didn't. We'll see how it turns out.

8. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

Nothing super interesting. Pulling first set of dry hops (1:1 Calypso, Rakau) and adding second set of dry hops (2:2:1 Galaxy, Simcoe, Rakau) to an Imperial Red w/ Rye (10 Gal). Dry hopping Black IPA with mystery hops with some more mystery hops and a touch of Galaxy and Simcoe. Adding 3 Madagascar vanilla beans to an Imperial Milk Stout with Chai Spices.

koopa and mattbk like this.
  9. Making my last batch of my house brown ale for the season, got that and two more to brew until I'm out of space.

10. Mattreinitz

Mattreinitz Zealot (80) New York Mar 1, 2012

This is a slow weekend for me, I'm just bottling my irish red ale in prep for saint patty's day.

11. Brewing my first 100% Brett ale with Brettanomyces Custersianus (ECY19). It will be a low gravity beer and using some acidulated malt to lower the ph. I cant decide between keeping the hops extremely simple (small bittering addition) or adding some Nelson Sauvin or Galaxy late/dry hop.

barfdiggs likes this.
  12. Naugled

Naugled Savant (490) New York Sep 25, 2007

Will be tapping into two kegs of Vienna to check on their progress, might bottle some if they are ready. I plan to enter in a local comp.

Will also be checking on a Bock and Dopplebock I have in the primary.

That's about it, a slow weekend. I may have to get that list of brewing projects out and review it. Might be a good weekend to get some of those going.

13. Was going to brew up a chouffe clone, but the weather will delay it a bit.

14. CASK1

CASK1 Savant (380) Florida Jan 7, 2010

Split batch of table Saison on Sunday. Half with WLP570, the other half 100% Brett.

15. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Advocate (540) Vermont Mar 10, 2006

Bottling a saison and cleaning kegs and carboys (the dark side of homebrewing).

16. wscaffe

wscaffe Savant (345) Florida May 6, 2011

I'm kegging a cider for a St. Patty's day party and throwing together another batch of cider. I am also thinking about brewing a hoppy saison. I might toss some Brett Claussenii in there.

CASK1 likes this.
  17. Thorpe429

Thorpe429 Champion (895) Illinois Aug 18, 2008

I'm transferring a blended imperial stout (part base and part aged in a 3-gallon whiskey barrel) with vanilla to a keg to start force carbonating, after which I'll bottle it up with a Beer Gun.

Other than that, I'm adding pineapple, mango, and lambic dregs to a pale beer with Citra to start secondary, and also adding raspberries and fresh lime juice/zest to a batch of Berliner.

Depending on the amount of time I have tomorrow, I'm going to brew a batch of either no boil Berliner or a Flanders Red.

18. Just finished my first berliner and first ten gallon batch. Kept it quick and went extract, 4lbs pils light DME and 4 lbs wheat DME. White labs berliner blend and 2 oz's of german hersbrucker.

We'll see what happens in a few months. I'm excited!

19. ipas-for-life

ipas-for-life Savant (400) Virginia Feb 28, 2012

Bottled a Citra/Simcoe Ipa and got a chest freezer for the summer.

20. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Champion (800) Texas May 21, 2010

Hopefully monday doing a PtE Clone using Barfdiggs' hop schedule from another thread.

21. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (715) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

Have a keg to clean and a Belgian pale ale to transfer to it. Will flush the air out of that and stick it into cold storage while I hook up a special bitter to the vacant gas line.

22. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Savant (465) Utah May 2, 2006

The weekend the burners are cooling their jets. However, yesterday I integrated yeast-starter calculations into my brewing spreadsheet (based on data in Yeast by White and Zainasheff, similar to the online YeastCalc calculator). Other than that, I'm just watching last Monday's Dark Cz Lager bubble away. Also beginning to plan three beers -- all IPAs -- that will be ready when my sister comes out in August to run a half marathon with me (my first -- I've made a huge mistake). I'll probably do an American IPA, British IPA, and an IIPA. Heck, maybe I'll also do a Black IPA. She is a HUGE IPA fan. She's not huge, just her love of IPAs.

Beerontwowheels likes this.
  23. Brewed a Citra DIPA today

24. LAWbrewing

LAWbrewing Zealot (80) Wisconsin Nov 23, 2010

Racked an IPA (Magnum/Cascade/Glacier) to secondary to free up my primary. Which, actually, brings up a question... time to search the archives then start a thread...

25. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (730) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

Had a few brew chores myself. Had 2 kegs kick, this past week, so I pulled them from the keezer and cleaned them up and tossed some starsan in them.

I pulled some Comet hops from my hopped to death DIPA, and added some Cascade to it to cover some of the funk from the Comet in that keg. It's half gone, so I've got Kern Rivers Double Citra DIPA ground up and ready to go with some harvested Conan from Heady Topper. Should be a good one.

Anyways-

Kegged my "White Wine Saison", a 3711 saison, with Nelson and some Belma. Added .50oz to the keg to dry hop for a week and then gonna pull it. Ended up being a bigger beer than I wanted, but taste so damn fantastic I'm excited to carb it and kill it.

Kegged my Mosaic IPA as well. Tossed 2 oz of leaf Mosaic in there to chill for a bit. It's Chinook, Mosaic and Amarillo. Was pretty tasty, didn't get as low as I wanted, and stopped at 1.012, but it's only 2 points from where I was shooting.

Also found out my wife is pregnant with our first child, so I'm already planning on a big brew to have ready for the birth, and something I can age and crack open on birthdays perhaps.

koopa and jbakajust1 like this.
  26. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Advocate (540) Vermont Mar 10, 2006

I think it's them Belma hops...

27. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

Congrats. Just found out on Friday, and planning on doing something similar.

jbakajust1 likes this.
  28. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (730) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

Congrats back'atcha!

Pretty stoked myself

29. The weather was better today so we brewed up 18 gallons of the chouffe clone and 6 of a russian imperial stout:)