1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

brewing drunk

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by jlordi12, Nov 12, 2012.

1. I'm no good at it. Anyone else enjoy it ?
  2. sarcastro

sarcastro Savant (405) Michigan Sep 20, 2006

Maybe I am weird, but I have never wanted to try. I never really understood the whole needing to drink a lot while brewing. I might have 1 beer.
  3. is dangerous
  4. JM03

JM03 Initiate (0) Ohio Nov 12, 2010

Will result in a bunch of hombrew being dumped in the drain at a later point
  5. I keep the drinking for after.
    Oneinchaway likes this.
  6. MLucky

MLucky Savant (355) California Jul 31, 2010

I might have one beer, but drunk? Way too dangerous, at least if you're as much of a clutz as I am. And I'm not talking about missing my late hop addition dangerous. I'm talking about light the garage on fire dangerous.
    Duff27 likes this.
  7. Nope! Too much going on. Too much expensive equipment to break. Too dangerous. Too much stuff that wouldn't get cleaned. Too much risk of making a crappy beer. Too much... (You get the idea)
    Duff27 likes this.
  8. MMAJYK

MMAJYK Savant (455) Georgia Jun 26, 2007

I had 2 beers while brewing yesterday, which is 2 more beers than I usually have. I had 2 friends over who were brewing with me, and they had it under control, and it was a pretty laid back brew day. Otherwise, I just wait til I'm done brewing. My first beer is usually had while cleaning.

I do know some people that get ripped while they brew...I just dont get it. One guy in my club told me a story that he passed out while boiling one time. Woke up 3 hours later to a pretty bitter and high grav beer. Another guy (a friend of that guy) basically has a party every brew day. People coming over, neighbors, beers flowing. I just couldnt keep it together. I think I'm just too focused for all that. I thought having 2 other people over yesterday was a little too much for me. Maybe I just take it too seriously? :confused:
  9. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Advocate (515) Vermont Mar 10, 2006

Too dangerous. I usually brew early in the day and drink coffee. If I drink at all, I'll have my first beer after flameout. I did it once or twice in the past and it was obvious at the time that it was a bad idea. Plus, if you stick with coffee you'll finish your brew day an hour or 2 sooner.

Now bottling, cleaning equipment, tinkering and such is a different story...
    wspscott and rocdoc1 like this.
  10. I've done it before and I always forget to take a hydrometer reading.
    spry, ncaudle, jtmartino and 2 others like this.
  11. There's a reason they give you free drinks in Vegas - because it makes you do stupid things. You want to avoid doing stupid things while brewing.
    Andygirl, Duff27, wspscott and 2 others like this.
  12. DubbelMan

DubbelMan Aficionado (170) New York Mar 17, 2009

I used to get tooled up brewing with my friends in the early days. That ended right after a wort chiller accident that got my buddy a 2nd degree burn on his leg. Needless to say now the drinking happens after the brewing is done! Lesson learned..

Cheers!

DM
  13. I usually drink a few beers while brewing.
  14. sfsean28

sfsean28 Savant (390) New Jersey Dec 17, 2008

Does working at a brewery while drunk count? Never tried homebrewing but will some day soon. I'll wait til I'm finished and then start drinking.
  15. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Champion (790) Texas May 21, 2010

I drink lightly but don't get drunk when I'm brewing. I screw up enough on my own without adding lots of alcohol to help things along :rolleyes:
    JrGtr likes this.
  16. itsjustzach

itsjustzach Aficionado (190) Ohio Oct 23, 2006

I usually drink while I'm brewing, but with all the shit going on it's pretty much impossible to drink enough to get drunk. I'm usually ready to have a few once the wort's in the fermenter and will half ass clean up though.
  17. I had a few beers the first time I brewed with a buddy of mine... was my most disorganized brew day ever. Ok to have one or two, but drunk just screams disaster.
  18. Naugled

Naugled Savant (455) New York Sep 25, 2007

My self imposed rule is that I don't have a beer until after the yeast is pitched. There's usually only clean up at that point.
    JrGtr and GreenKrusty101 like this.
  19. Brewed drunk once. Came out with about 2/3 of the volume I was shooting for and a horrible tasting beer. Now that could have been due to many factors but I no longer brew drunk and wont have my first beer of the brew day until the boil begins. I never have more than 1 or 2 until after.
  20. I have a feeling this this will be my story in a couple months when I get to taste what I concocted on Sunday.
  21. Stopped doing it after I dropped a 5 gal carboy and lost a batch. Now I start drinking when the wort is in its final resting place. Smoking what mother earth provides is a completely different story though.
    suspect, drperry11 and BigCheese like this.
  22. I'll have one or two, but nothing to push me over the edge.
    The last time I had more than two I pitched my stir plate bar into the fermenter...
    Ricelikesbeer likes this.
  23. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (595) Illinois Apr 15, 2011

We have signs up in our brewing space that say "Irish moss, dumbass!" and "Take original gravity reading!!"
    antlerwrestler19 likes this.
  24. Naugled

Naugled Savant (455) New York Sep 25, 2007

Hah! Done that sober. I bought a spare stir bar just for that reason.
    epk, kjyost and pointyskull like this.
  25. mcc1654

mcc1654 Savant (355) Illinois Mar 20, 2011

I got drunk the first time I brewed and it just made things more difficult. I also forgot to add yeast nutrient and whirfloc until I was at flameout. Not the worst mistakes, but it just made brewing seem like a chore once I was intoxicated. Now when I brew its never more than two beers until I am least cooling the wort. Most times I don't even have one.
  26. cpinto6

cpinto6 Savant (365) Georgia Feb 25, 2010

Brewing is a science and its not exactly straight forward. I don't brew but I know I wouldn't want to deal with shifting hot liquid from one place to another and hot equipment, not to mention you have to take accurate readings of stuff. I just see it as a disaster waiting to happen which could end at best in an ok batch of beer and at worst with someone disfigured for life by burn scars or maybe even dead from the infections or something else. I usually cook when I'm drunk and I've burned myself slightly and also cut myself but I'd have to be blacked out drunk to be stupid enough to deal with boiling wort and such when I'm drunk.
  27. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

I don't typically drink while I brew, mostly because I usually brew on Saturday or Sunday mornings and don't feel much like drinking.
    GreenKrusty101 likes this.
  28. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

Brewing is a craft. Science has definitely improved the brewing process, but being a brewer doesn't make you a scientist.
    inchrisin and pointyskull like this.
  29. cpinto6

cpinto6 Savant (365) Georgia Feb 25, 2010

Agreed, I think its both. I don't think being a brewer makes you a scientist but you are dealing with science even if you're just blindly following steps because you don't understand shit when it comes to the science of it.
    JrGtr likes this.
  30. Doesn't work for me. 1-2 beers usually saps my energy, much more than that and I'm likely to screw things up. Also I prefer to to brew in the morning, I'm usually done around 2 or 3.
  31. NiceFly

NiceFly Savant (375) Tajikistan Dec 22, 2011

I usually have a few beers while brewing. I would not say I get drunk though.

So much time in between steps, what the hell else am I going to do? Twidle my thumbs? Sometimes I get lucky and the kid takes a nap during the boil and I can break off a piece of ass. Aside from that though, I'll have a beer or two.
  32. I usually start well before 9:00 am, done by 2 or 3 at the latest, depending on how much of a hurry I'm in. Not too interested in drinking that early in the day (that's reserved for homebrew judging events :) ). I may have a half pint or two, but I stop well before the inevitable effects kick in. It's just too important a hobby to me to be stupid about it.
    pweis909 and Ricelikesbeer like this.
  33. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (350) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

I highly advise people not to brew buzzed or drunk, and for many reasons. Man, if you really research some of the messed up stuff that's happened to homebrewers from hot wort or especially breaking carboys, you'll find the less chance of these things happening the better. We are dealing with at least 40 lbs (full) of liquid here, and glass that can easily break. I wouldn't chance having a severe injury occur, let alone having a mistake that screws up the brew you've been planning for so long.

I try to limit myself to a beer or two during the entire 4 or 5 hours. I'll only bust out more beer once i'm in the late stages of the brewday.

"It's just too important a hobby to me to be stupid about it."- well said mike
    DubbelMan likes this.
  34. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Advocate (535) Minnesota May 11, 2007

If I am having one, the first beer doesn't get poured until all the wort is collected and working up to a boil. I often brew very early in the morning (5am start), so I don't usually drink when brewing (maybe a coffee stout if one is around).
  35. I liked your post as soon as I saw you are a female. If you aren't a female, Ima take my 'like' back.
    oregone and antlerwrestler19 like this.
  36. You guys are too serious. I tried brewing without drinking and made more mistakes than ever. Drunk? No... but drinking? Of course!

I try not to start until the boil, which still leaves plenty of drinking time.
    sugit and pointyskull like this.
  37. epk

epk Savant (325) New Jersey Jun 10, 2008

I'm in the 1-2 brews camp. Keep in mind, thats spread out over hours and we usually start brewing in the morning, so I'm not popping one until after noon anyway.
  38. The busyness of the brew day regulates my beer drinking. But you can guarantee we are pouring our first beer during the mash no matter what time it is.
    NiceFly likes this.
  39. I brew usually with a friend or 2. We usually have 1 beer each during mash, 1 beer during boil, And between 0 and 10, after pitching yeast.
  40. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Savant (380) New Mexico Jan 13, 2006

I have worked on drilling rigs for 34 years now and for me the primary issue is safety. I have 12 gallons of boiling syrup perched on a waist-high stand, hoses and cords on the ground, so the last thing in the world I need to be is drunk and stumbling. When the wort is chilled and headed to the fermentor and the burners are off I'll pour myself a congratulatory pint, but not before then.
    This is also why I prefer brewing solo. Friends who want to brew with me think it's a great time to get hammered and for the same reasons I stated above, I don't need a drunk friend staggering around my garage.