1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Brewing the last weekend of 2012

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by CASK1, Dec 28, 2012.

1. CASK1

CASK1 Savant (345) Florida Jan 7, 2010

I got an early start and just hit the boil on a Dortmunder Export. What about you?
  2. Nothing. I have a hearty surplus of homebrew - plus I need to cut my consumption a bit as part of my weight loss plan :eek:
    CASK1 likes this.
  3. MMAJYK

MMAJYK Savant (455) Georgia Jun 26, 2007

Mosaic IPA. Really looking forward to this brewday!
  4. BobCS

BobCS Aficionado (205) New York Sep 15, 2006

Gearing up for brewing a Belgian Strong Golden on Sunday, racking an IPA to keg, and a barleywine to secondary.
  5. NiceFly

NiceFly Savant (375) Tajikistan Dec 22, 2011

I have a few finished beers to keg.

I may brew a massive Weizenbock with an OG of 1.130 or so, if not that then a Porter. These are the next two in my pipeline and will just about exhaust the current stock of supplies.
  6. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Champion (780) Texas May 21, 2010

I am probably brewing Juniper Pale Ale II tomorrow. And bottling Bleach Blonde Ale II as well. Gotta get one more in before 2013... :D

Next year will start off with an ESB, then ???

I may be in the mood to try a double IPA sometime during January. o_O
  7. jlpred55

jlpred55 Savant (270) Iowa Jul 26, 2006

i just racked an IPA into keg and added dry hops. Will let that sit for a week at room temp then into the keezer. Also plan on kegging an ESB later tonight while consuming other beers. This weekend brewing a Munich Helles...hopefully, it is pretty cold and snowy here which is great but it is almost too cold to brew!
  8. Naugled

Naugled Savant (455) New York Sep 25, 2007

No brewing for the last week of 2012, but I am looking forward to brewing the first week of 2013. Lager season is almost here for me.
  9. dethTr0ll

dethTr0ll Disciple (70) Delaware Dec 7, 2010

I made my starter before leaveing for work today. Doing a chinook ipa tomorrow. Im really looking forword to it.
  10. No brewing, but I have 24 gallons of a Belgian dark strong to bottle. It will have to wait tho., threw the back out yesterday cleaning up after a storm.
  11. 33nickadams

33nickadams Savant (270) Michigan Apr 12, 2010

Got a pound of Celeia hops for X-mas and doing an ale to see what they are like. So far so good. Also having a homebrewed west coast IPA. Is there anything better than drinking your own beer while making more beer?
  12. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Champion (780) Texas May 21, 2010

Drinking more than one of your own homebrews with friends while you're making a new batch of homebrew? :cool:

Do tell how the celeia hops taste!
  13. 33nickadams

True that! I'll tell you what though...this is the first and last time I'll try cooling down in a snowbank...wtf??
  14. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Advocate (535) Minnesota May 11, 2007

Some sort of a Belma IPA on Monday, did the starter on some harvested and washed WLP007 today. Gotta get one done for me as my only free weekends of January will be used up brewing for a couple of different barrels our HBC acquired.
  15. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Advocate (535) Minnesota May 11, 2007

I am guessing many of us have learned that it doesn't work. Amazing how well snow can insulate, isn't it.
    kjyost likes this.
  16. 33nickadams

I know it now. I'm at about 90 degrees and 1 and 1/2 hours in. The wife just asked why didn't I just use the wort chiller. I said shut up woman.
  17. I brewed a Northwest IPA yesterday for my last session of 2012. Plenty of Warrior and Citra hops and pitched a healthy starter of Wyeast 1332. Next week a big black IPA goes onto the cake.

2012 was a good year for me, 28 sessions (one was a ten gallon, the rest five), and after a slow start I kept six or seven taps running all year. Looking forward to the same in 2013.
  18. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

I just pitched an AG Sculpin clone at 8:05 AM, an all time early record for me.
  19. Once I even used snow & water saturated in my tub. It took a few hours even with mixing the wort and moving the water in opposite directions. The added bonus is I ruined the finish on our tub (it is a crappy old beige thing, but I still didn't make friends with my wife when it happened).

I have had it chill in about 90 minutes in -30 with a wind though...
  20. udubdawg

udubdawg Advocate (505) Kansas Dec 11, 2006

Belgian pale ale now, with German Pils coming up in a couple days. may throw together a mead or two as well.

cheers--
    --Michael
  21. Naugled

What method do you use to carb your BDSA's? I made on a few months ago and it's barely carbonated. This is the first time in my life this has ever happened to me. I've experimented with a few bottles by adding more sugar to see if that would help. It didn't. Next experiment is to add yeast. Any other ideas?
  22. kbuzz

kbuzz Savant (495) Pennsylvania Jan 22, 2011

mashed in on my pepper RIS about 20 mins ago...brewing in the snow...what a combo!!
  23. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

I have a friend who is curious about brewing and a wife who wants me to brew a witbier. I'm thinking about two birds with one stone tomorrow. Plus with all the great citrus out right now it would be nice to do an assorted fresh citrus zest instead of dried peel.
  24. MMAJYK

MMAJYK Savant (455) Georgia Jun 26, 2007

Fresh citrus zest is the only way to go, IMO.
  25. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Savant (415) Utah May 2, 2006

Brewing up a Chocolate-Orange Belgian Wit, a wit with coriander, fresh orange zest, and Simpson's pale chocolate malt. Cacao nibs later in the fermenter. A total experiment. About time to get the sparge going...
  26. kbuzz

kbuzz Savant (495) Pennsylvania Jan 22, 2011

I bet this ends up pretty tasty...love the potential flavor profile
  27. pvllbum

pvllbum Aficionado (245) Illinois Sep 4, 2007

taking a swing at a zombie dust clone tomorrow. Got everything cleaned and prepped for tomorrow. Hopefully it turns out well.
  28. Yesterday I drank my Gravecrawler IPA, a Two Hearted clone. While brewing a Northern Brewer/Surly Bender clone.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  29. Just got finished brewing a Fat Tire clone, my second batch. I'm a little worried. I took a temperature reading before pitching the yeast at 75, but after pitching and carrying the batch upstairs to ferment, the thermometer read 81. Have it sitting in the window to cool, then it should keep between 64-68.
  30. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Savant (415) Utah May 2, 2006

This is, of course, inspired by the chocolate oranges that abound this time of year.
  31. jmich24

jmich24 Savant (415) Michigan Jan 28, 2010

Drinking this (HBT recipe) as I type, it is an amazing beer. I don't have access to ZD for a side by side, but the keg wont last long that's for sure! I upped the dry hop(4 oz) and the FWH (1.25 oz) from the original recipe. Really hitting its peak right now 8 weeks since pitching yeast.
  32. akakii

akakii Aficionado (125) Virginia Jun 18, 2009

My wife likes Shiner Cheer enough that she wants me to try to replicate it. It's basically a dunkelweizen with peaches and pecans. I'm either going to brew that or a vanilla porter.
  33. Naugled

Could you post your recipe for the Zombie?
    Hotmetal1 likes this.
  34. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Exactly. Tangerines are out, some lime, hopefully I can score somre meyer lemon ttoo.
  35. All Amarillo APA brew day tomorrow. Victory and Honey malts make up ~9% of the grain bill.
  36. jae

jae Aficionado (230) Washington Feb 21, 2010

Doing a Maibock since the basement is nice and cool now:

OG 1.065

Pils 70%
    Munich 15%
    Vienna 15%

Pearle to 22 IBUs

WLP Bock
    CASK1 likes this.
  37. I brewed my first homebrew ever yesterday, an Alaskan Amber clone. I was most worried about cooling the wort quickly, and ended up getting it below 70 degrees in about 40 minutes by way of an ice bath so I considered that a success. Was a lot of fun, got the OG very close and it is showing clear signs of fermentation at exactly 24 hours after pitching. It sure was a relief to see the bubbles in the airlock. Now I'm hooked.
    FeDUBBELFIST and CASK1 like this.
  38. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

Monster brewday a few days ago. Bottled an 80/-, transferred a saison onto Brett Brux Trois, and brewed my third attempt at an Adam clone. Absolutely perfect brew with no complications; nailed my mash temp and OG. The big yeast cake from the 80/- went to town too! This one is going to get an oak cube and vanilla bean treatment in secondary once the krausen drops. Hoping for magic.
  39. You are dryhopping with the Mosaics also, right?...let us know how that turns out.