1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Brewing this weekend - 1/11 edition

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by CASK1, Jan 11, 2013.

1. CASK1

CASK1 Savant (345) Florida Jan 7, 2010

I'll start. I'm going to squeeze an English Mild in tomorrow before our club's annual banquet.
  2. mborden

mborden Savant (410) New York Jan 28, 2009

Scotch Ale for me! Looking forward to it.
  3. session pilsner
  4. dstc

dstc Savant (400) Florida Nov 2, 2006

Strong Golden Belgian on Sunday, guess I better get the yeast starter going.
  5. split-batch saison....ones's getting just wyeast 3724, the other's getting 3724 with some built up brett/bugs from a bottle of HF Arthur
    CASK1 likes this.
  6. I'm not brewing a new batch this weekend but I plan on bottling my first batch, an American Amber on Sunday evening. We finally have a few nights below freezing here in Phoenix so we plan on heading to the mountains this weekend to enjoy some cold weather and snow. Cheers and have a good brew day everyone!
  7. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

Not brewing. But started a wine (Chardonnay) last night, my first one.
  8. NiceFly

NiceFly Savant (375) Tajikistan Dec 22, 2011

I brewed a Porter yesterday.
    I have a monster brew planned, maybe Sunday.
  9. First lager Sunday. Munich Helles.
    jlpred55 and CASK1 like this.
  10. ipas-for-life

ipas-for-life Savant (400) Virginia Feb 28, 2012

Bottling a Stout and Ipa on Saturday. Taking advantage of the 60 degree weather and brewing an IPA on sunday.
    founder26 likes this.
  11. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (620) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

arent they just about all sessionable?
  12. FATC1TY

Oh, and no brewing for me.

I brewed a DIPA last weekend, I'm gonna be cleaning up and packing up my garage and brewing stuff to move in 2 weeks.
  13. Brewing a sour with some East Coast Yeast Bug County! Very excited, I have 3 different beers planned with some ECY yeasts that I have... and somewhere in there another Pale Wheat Ale with Amarillo and Motueka hops. I have a busy 2 or 3 months ahead of me.

I will also be transferring my dry stout (3.5%) to secondary to sit on some vanilla beans before kegging.
  14. MLucky

MLucky Savant (345) California Jul 31, 2010

Another installment of my continuing quest for the perfect German pils. No sparge step mash, FWH this time. Main things is it all needs to be done, cleaned and put away before the Niner game starts.
  15. jlpred55

jlpred55 Savant (270) Iowa Jul 26, 2006

Nothing for me. I just put a lovely IPA on tap this week that is going to get hit pretty hard this weekend. It currently is quite hazy from the dry-hops, just the way I like it.
    audioserf likes this.
  16. hopsandmalt

hopsandmalt Savant (310) Michigan Dec 14, 2006

I've got 5 gallons of Dunkel planned for Sunday with wlp833 that will be a starter beer for 10 gallons of bock that I will be brewing in a couple of weeks.

The Dunkel will be sort of SMaSH with Wyermann Munich and just a touch of carafa special III and a single charge of hallertauer at 60min.

I've never made an all munich beer before and I'm super excited to see how this one turns out!
    CASK1 likes this.
  17. Naugled

Naugled Savant (455) New York Sep 25, 2007

I'll be bottling an Irish Red

Brewing 5 gal of Dry Stout and (reusing the yeast from the irish red)

Making two 1 gal starters... Lactobacillus and Pediococcus
  18. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Champion (780) Texas May 21, 2010

MrOH likes this.
  19. I'm hoping to try my hand at a lambic. Going to perform my first turbid mash, but will probably cheat and add rice hulls just to cover myself. Also thinking about making a mild.
    AlCaponeJunior likes this.
  20. MrOH

MrOH Savant (440) Maryland Jul 5, 2010

Same here. Also, racking a cider into secondary, and stepping up some yeast for an imperial milk stout sometime next week.
  21. Transferred a Amber Ale (Fat Tire Clone) to secondary on Wednesday. Working nights all weekend and then making a overnight trip to Belgium for beer, so no weekend brewing. Plan on brewing either a IPA or Belgian Wit on Tuesday, but I might wait until next week.
  22. Racked three beers yesterday (Schwarzbier - tasting great, Belma Pale Ale - Interesting & BGSA - Tasted of apple cider, so I hit it with old ECY Brett 08 slurry). Saved the cakes for a Dopplebock & DIPA.

I made Kimchi & a fermented hot sauce today (using my sour to start it) along with two unfermented hot sauces.
  23. FATC1TY

Reminds me that I need to get stuff to brew another cider batch. My first ever was literally slurped down by my wife and inlaws last time. Could use 5g of it after I move to intice some labor help !
  24. scurvy311

scurvy311 Savant (355) Louisiana Dec 3, 2005

Doing my German IPA as I type.
  25. About to go fire up strike water and grind grains for a Simcoe/Centennial pale ale.
  26. MrOH

MrOH Savant (440) Maryland Jul 5, 2010

Yep, the cider is more for my GF and wine friends than for me to drink, even though I enjoy it. I probably use more for cooking than I drink.
  27. BILF

BILF Advocate (500) Israel Jan 9, 2010

APA - Hop Burst Citra Session Ale.

Target ABV 3.7 %.
  28. Second batch after so helpful advice from you BA'ers. Pale ale again. We will see how it goes!
  29. founder26

founder26 Savant (450) Michigan Sep 9, 2009

Just finishing my 3rd batch, its an ipa with falconers, citra, and nelson sauvin hops
  30. sommersb

sommersb Advocate (575) Tennessee May 25, 2010

Brewing a dubbel today as a celebration beer for my first grandchild on the way!
    CASK1 likes this.
  31. Congrats! speaking of celebrating...

Lots of firsts for me today. Brewed my first all grain (biab) today. First time brewing outdoors - new kettle, new burner. A celebration clone (Chinook/Cascade). Gravity came out at 1.062 instead of 1.067(5gal)... First time missing OG. Started with 7gal, lost one to the grain and another in the boil. Probably should have added DME when I tested it... Or regulated propane to boil more vigorously? At any rate, also first time making a starter... I put it in a carboy for primary (another first) so I can transfer it to the bucket for dryhops and bottling.

Also bottled 2.5 gal of witbier and racked the other 2.5 gal onto apricot purée and brett-l. (that was my second ever batch. First time adding fruit. First time adding Brett.)

Happy to have two things in glass that I can watch over the next few days/months.
    CASK1 likes this.
  32. memory

memory Savant (250) Pennsylvania Oct 2, 2005

No brewing for me this weekend, but been working with Irish ale yeast for the first time. Really like it. Made HB42's irish ale recipe and it's great. Did it again subbing Apollo for the bittering hop and think that should be nice. A stout came out tasting like Guiness but I added a cup of Ezra bourbon to it and it's also nice.
    Currently have an English barleywine fermenting with Irish yeast using Apollo, Northen brewer, Amarillo and Willamette. And a Dopplebock and Maibock using Bavarian yeast. No fridge but the outside temps are cooperating just right for fermenting the lagers.
  33. Ilanko

Ilanko Aficionado (180) New York Aug 3, 2012

Just finished bottling AIPA, the smell of the fresh beer is awesome... two weeks form now