1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Brewmasters (your dream series)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by bismarksays, Feb 6, 2013.

1. bismarksays

bismarksays Savant (435) Iowa Dec 7, 2008

I know the show had mixed reviews here, but if it were to magically get another season, which brewer/brewery would you like to see followed?

For the record, I loved the show and thought Sam and Dogfishhead did a great job representing the difficulties and successes of being a smaller business/brewery and following your own dreams.
  2. beerme411

beerme411 Savant (350) California Sep 28, 2010

Sierra Nevada, I'd like to her from ken and go through some of the history of craft brewing in the US as well. Although I could be a homer as my first beer was SNPA in chico. I would think it would be a good introduction into the world of craft.
    njhopspop, AmitC, bismarksays and 2 others like this.
  3. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

Lagunitas - Tony M. has the personality that could do well on TV - kind of an Anthony Bourdain edge.

I'm sure season 1 was fine, but I couldn't make it past the first episode.
    JuniperJesus, tronto and gtermi like this.
  4. I'm thinking Greg Koch would do a nice job.
  5. Brunite

Brunite Savant (420) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

Rogue.

I'd love to hear the actual reasoning behind the decision to do a beard-yeast beer, which the host/reporter would surely ask about. In addition...the hype generated by the show would likely get all the hipsters buying up all that maple bacon stuff off the shelves so we would no longer see any more threads about it:cool:.
  6. djrn2

djrn2 Champion (790) New Jersey Nov 4, 2009

Lost Abbey/Pizza Port with Tomme Arthur
  7. HF. I'd be interested in seeing the rapid development from little brewery in the middle of nowhere to the hype train darlings, and how they deal with that.
  8. Knapp85

Knapp85 Advocate (690) Pennsylvania Dec 25, 2009

All of the breweries. Do a few different ones through out the season. Hit places like Cigar City then Kuhnhenn, Then Hair of the Dog and maybe hit Anchorage after that. Travel the entire country and show us a little of everyone. Each successful brewery out there has a nitch and that is what keeps people coming back for more. Show us, the people who love this stuff what it is all about and how they're making it possible. Hell, you might even find out about a new brewery along the way. I thought the show was really good as well and I even said while it was on that they should be doing more than just DfH on this show. I'd love to see it come back and have it be almost worldwide instead of just in Delaware.
  9. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

I think you nailed it with Lagunitas. He is crazy and is will say whatever he thinks.
    Lantern likes this.
  10. GregoryVII

GregoryVII Savant (335) Michigan Jan 30, 2006

Short's
    bismarksays and MSEGUIN like this.
  11. I liked the idea of the show a lot but I wasn't impressed with the format. It was so over the top reality show. Each episode had some dramatic story that had to be resolved in 60 minutes with the longer story arch of building the new brewery. Brewing is just not the kind of thing that needs or contributes well to that kind of dramatic interpretation. They could have easily have made each show about some interesting aspect of what the brewery does/new stuff they are working on and intermingled lighter material to keep it upbeat and more than just watching people dump dry hops in a fermentor for an hour. Alternatively they could have focused on a product/project and discussed an issue in the craft market per episode. It was never going to be a show with big ratings numbers but I think they could have taken that show out a few seasons in a profitable manner if they hadn't made it so douchey.
  12. Brunite

But....wasn't the reason it was pulled due to outside pressure rather than the show being so "douchey"?
    audioserf likes this.
  13. I think BMC pays a lot of advertising money to Dsicovery and they were none too pleased about Brewmasters being a thing.

I'd be pumped on a Stone Brewing Co season of Brewmasters. Greg would be great.
  14. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

Even if it hadn’t been pulled due to the objections of sponsors I don’t know that it would have had a shot at season II unless they moved away from the “Bill and Ted’s Brewing Adventure” / dudebro vibe that I got from the little bit of the show I did see.
    Brunite likes this.
  15. Brunite

Agreed. I lost interest in the daily adventures of Sam. But a different brewery each episode? That would be interesting. Founders, Three Floyds, Firestone Walker, the list would be endless.
    creepinjeeper likes this.
  16. Lantern

Lantern Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2011

I loved the show. DVR'd every episode that aired. It won't see the light of day again with ANY brewery that matters to us.
  17. Until AB-InBev wants to feature Goose Island...
  18. I'd love a show similar to Diners, Drive-Ins, & Dives...but for craft beer. Find a personable/knowledgable host that hits breweries of all sizes in all regions of the country and shows what they're about.
  19. Lantern

I'm not into Goose Island. Had nothing spectacular from them. Give me DFH, Founders, Stone, Bell's, Oskar Blues or Avery over them anyday.
  20. Blanco

Blanco Savant (490) Pennsylvania Oct 11, 2008

exactly. oh and beer bars. I'd even take a "No Reservations" style show going from city to city.
    bismarksays and creepinjeeper like this.
  21. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (480) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

They couldn't handle FFF and DLD! Lol
  22. abaculy

abaculy Aficionado (245) Michigan Sep 14, 2005

There is a show in (West) Michigan caelld Great American Brew Trail. Look it up online and catch episode segments on YouTube!
  23. IceAce

IceAce Advocate (560) California Jan 8, 2004

These fine folks: http://www.beergeeks.tv/

...were filming at Stone today...
  24. I think you missed the point.
    gwdavis and fujindemon74 like this.
  25. Gotta have Anchor as well then as they helped SN when they were starting out. Oskar Blues would be another good one. I like the triple D/No reservations idea though, that would be awesome. Who would be a good host?
    beerme411 likes this.
  26. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

The problem is cost. It is expensive flying around to all these breweries and shooting a show, and with such a small niche audience I just don't see anyone doing it on a large scale. There are a few decent web shows out there...and I think that is the best we are going to get.
  27. Lantern

No, I understand. I was just making a statement. I was drinking.
    tcanaday and TheBeerAlmanac like this.
  28. Meh, the ratings would be flat.
  29. Rosty

Rosty Aficionado (190) New York Nov 29, 2006

It is called Drinking Made Easy with Zane Lamprey.
    UHCougar12 and mpyoung215 like this.
  30. I watched this abortion of a show once, worst thing to ever be on TV. The fact that a television station decided to air it makes me fear for humanity. This asshole goes to bars, gets blistered drunk, then makes a cringeworthy ass of himself on camera and fails to be remotely humorous in the process, which is difficult when you get blistered drunk all the time. Don't waste your time on this show, it would be more productive and entertaining to stick safety pins through your eyelids.
    njhopspop likes this.
  31. Douggo

Douggo Aficionado (235) Minnesota Oct 24, 2009

So, what you're saying is you kind of liked it?
    njhopspop and MSEGUIN like this.
  32. It was ok.
    njhopspop likes this.
  33. What do you expect a show about drinking will be? Hell, when Iron Chef had a bourbon episode, those judges were blasted. Made for great television.
  34. EyePeeAyBryan

EyePeeAyBryan Savant (470) Arizona Dec 20, 2011

I would like to agree but it's Discovery and they have tons of dumb niche shows about flying mail around Alaska, 2 or 3 gold mining shows, the very fake "man vs. wild" and building motorcycle shows. All shows I don't care about, especially how the freakin' mail gets delivered in Alaska. Does ANYONE even care about that? It's beer, we all drink it!
    fickenmeimirish likes this.
  35. I bet they dont even deliver on saturdays. I'm with you though there are way less entertaining shows currently on.

36. Wayyy too pretentious.
  37. I honestly would love just another season with Dogfish.

Vinnie and Russian River would be amazing, but he seems like the Joe Montana of brewers; just doesn't want to be in the spot light.

Stone, I could see Discovery choosing them easily.
    Lantern likes this.
  38. mattafett

mattafett Savant (465) Iowa Mar 9, 2009

luwak and Blueribbon666 like this.
  39. I tend to agree. Why does a beer show only have to cater to a beer audience? Deadliest Catch doesn't cater to fishermen? Make it entertaining and worth watching, then everyone will want to watch it.
  40. endovelico

endovelico Savant (335) Portugal Jul 25, 2008

Garret from Brooklyn Brewery. That guy oozes charisma.
    bismarksays and luwak like this.