1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Brewmasters (your dream series)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by bismarksays, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Rosty

Rosty Aficionado (190) New York Nov 29, 2006

Jealous?

2. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I watch every episode. Outside of me wishing they would stick to beer and breweries I enjoy the show. If you went in thinking you were going to be watching a serious documentary style show I can see where you'd be put off, but I've been watching him since the show was called Three Sheets.

3. I think you're right. I hoped it would be more about the places he goes and the stories behind the bars and their drinks, not just a guy getting drunk. It is what it is, I suppose.

Hanzo likes this.
  4. nhindian

nhindian Savant (370) Pennsylvania Feb 26, 2010

This. Incredibly knowledgeable about styles and pairing with food. Could easily help elevate beer status.

5. GFG

GFG Savant (295) North Dakota Oct 24, 2012

I liked Brewmasters and I thought Dogfish Head was a great brewery to choose because of the amount of crazy beers they make. Not many breweries do things like Dogfish Head, which is why I thought they were the best idea for TV.
    And screw Discovery channel, put it on Travel Channel.

6. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

I couldn't listen to him refer to himself in third person for an hour.

djrn2 and Blanco like this.
  7. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

Personally for my tastes you could make a show that would start in the infancy of a Brewery. I really liked Ace of Cakes which after the success of the show they got huge and so did the cakes. If you followed around a brewery that is just starting up you get more of that "drama" without it being manufactured. Perhaps you follow three start-ups and how each one progresses or fails.

MarcatGSB likes this.
  8. This came up when the show got canceled.

It's probably best that they chose Calagione and Dogfish Head because of the traveling to different places to source ingredients and recipes and his great on-air persona. Think of a show that just went to different breweries, and you have owners and brewers who are not comfortable on camera saying, "Uh yeah...this is the grain and hops we use...here's the mash...you can see the wort is boiling now...yeast is important...grain to glass in about a week...people love beer..." You and me might take a serious interest, but it's going to turn off a lot of people to the show (even more than a person as entertaining as Sam Calagione did).

Sure, there are some other great personas in brewing, but when it comes down to it, I don't think the show would last that long skipping from brewery to brewery.

luwak likes this.
  9. Great show...Zane Lamprey does an awesome job!!

BoneyardBrewer likes this.
  10. jmmy3

jmmy3 Savant (335) Massachusetts Nov 30, 2010

I was under the impression that DFH had control of the show, if they were to continue further, but regardless it would be great to see SN due to how large of a scale they operate on, while still maintaining excellent craft beers. I.could even get on board with Sam Adams for the same reason, Jim Koch seems very passionate and likable. I think either of those breweries could have solid viewership due to their brand popularity.

That said, I would also have loved to see stone doing some of their many collabos, lagunitas, founders, and surly would definitely be cool.

11. Would they focus on the people who actually brew or the pitchmen who promote the beer/breweries?

12. djrn2

djrn2 Champion (815) New Jersey Nov 4, 2009

It would be a laugh riot

13. I might be alone here, but I though the show was excellent, it was as much a comedy to me as it was interesting to see the daily processes and history of DFH. The premise was kind of on repeat for each episode, but it didnt stop me from enjoying every minute and being bummed out when I finished the 6th and final episode. Sam is just funny as F*** as far as I'm concerned. I especially enjoyed the Bitches Brew episode.

creepinjeeper and bismarksays like this.
  14. Blanco

Blanco Savant (490) Pennsylvania Oct 11, 2008

where did you find the 6th episode? It didn't air on TV, right?

15. It's on youtube

16. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (500) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Overall, I liked the show & I gained a new respect for DFH given my initial disappointment of it focusing on 1 craft brewer. If that is the format then I think every season should be a different brewer...however, being that there is seriously sick competition in this business & I'm sure plenty of trade secrets to be kept perhaps a broader overview of the movement as a whole. Maybe focusing on a region of the US & several brewers in the region. It would be interesting to see a competition type show, hell how many more cooking & baking competitions can we possibly pass over...I mean seriously, cup cake wars??

creepinjeeper likes this.
  17. Blueribbon666

Perhaps I'm on the outside but, Moonshiners, Duck Dynasty, Swamp People...ahem Toddlers & Tiaras how are these NOT niche?? Toddlers seriously, how do you put that on as a programmer of content for the public to see? And as for flying around there are plenty of people flying around for food shows, I just don't see the difference. At least the web shows aren't hampered by content and language restrictions.

fickenmeimirish likes this.

18. I agree 100%

This is what I had wished the show would have been. Make it like the food paradise shows on travel channel or diners, drive-ins, and dives, except have hour long episodes and one brewery per episode. It could be ran year round and they still wouldnt have to worry about running out of tape.

19. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

All good points, I've never watched any of those shows so I can't tell you why those shows have a following, I'm just saying that craft beer drinkers are what 6% of the beer drinking population, and of that 6% how many would want to watch a craft centric documentary style show? I mean of course we would, but we are in the vast minority even in our own niche.

20. The difference is this showcased any bar, and all types of alcohol. I think I saw 2 episodes total about craft beer (one was stone and was half way decent)

21. LocalBrew TV has a few YouTube episodes about Maine breweries. Only two in, but they started with Baxter Brewing, then went to Maine Beer Co. Spends about 75% of his time in the breweries, then hits local bars to ask people their thoughts on the brewery he just visited.

http://local-brew.tv/

22. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Savant (465) Texas Feb 21, 2011

Ill be back in an hour

23. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Savant (465) Texas Feb 21, 2011

The show is definitely made by Sams personality. I haven't met a lot of brewers, but of the ones I have none come close to the combo of personality and passion to beer that Sam has.

Nectar likes this.
  24. This!

25. the top 50 places to get a beer!

Travel channel has gone down a long way. I have no idea which personality would even be a good fit for that.

26. hardy008

hardy008 Champion (760) Minnesota Jan 12, 2008

Agreed. I'm not a Travel Channel fan. They don't even have shows about travel. It's just shows about food all the time. Do they think they're Food Network now?

27. Giovannilucano

Giovannilucano Savant (445) Wyoming Feb 24, 2011

And you know what I am about to say. The fact that Sam/Dogfish Head is the only brewer I know of in America teaming up with the Italian brewers says a lot. ( The lost episode of Brewmasters, 3 Beers for Batali examines Italian craft) Yes, I know you may call this hype on my end, but am I really that crazy to say it? Italian craft is here to say and Sam is helping that become so!

creepinjeeper and luwak like this.
  28. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (765) California Jan 31, 2005

Hahaha I get it...but I like some of their "flat" beers, ie Deliverance Ale.

29. mjryan

mjryan Savant (480) Minnesota Dec 22, 2007

I really liked Brewmasters.

30. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Not trying to be a Homer, but Larry Bell would make an excellent travel beer centric show. He's got some edge, some I don't give a f attitude...

bismarksays likes this.
  31. Some brewers/brewery owners live for the spotlight, the rest make make good beer.

32. Blueribbon666

I completely agree. I find it interesting that you are yet another person who doesn't watch any of the compelling reality TV shows spat out for mass consumption. I'm guessing the masses are clogging up hospital beds unable to change the channels in their rooms left on by the staff...:rolleyes:

Hanzo likes this.
  33. Actually, they are both owned by the same company, Scripps Networks Interactive.

34. The Travel Channel was bought by the parent company of the Food Network a couple years back. So yes, they think they are the Food Network.

Edit - late.

35. Blueribbon666

Sadly most TV especially in the reality age is douchey...w/one network after another putting out inferior versions of an already successful show...YAWWWWWWWWN...but then again that's always been Madison avenue no matter what the product is be it TV, music, movies, food, & of course beer, no finger pointing needed we all have a few that come to mind opinions may differ but the song remains the same, corporations make most things LAME...;)

36. TheFunGuy

TheFunGuy Aficionado (210) Virginia Dec 27, 2011

I missed this thread, and just posted in another thread about two minutes ago how how the show prevented me from wanting to go to the Alehouse one mile away for a few months, because I found the timelines, deadlines, and fake pressure drama insulting.

Funny how thoughts run sometimes.

I would have welcomed a real show, based on making beer and making real marketing decisions. It would have been more old school history channel, though, and less storage transportation motorcycle making wars.

37. jbck109

jbck109 Savant (340) Michigan May 30, 2010

I agree, plus the popularity and interest of craft beer is growing rapidly. I think that a show that has more of a variety of brewers with different brewing styles and personalty could be very entertaining to a wide audience.