1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bringing beer into the US from Canada

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jborg, May 6, 2012.

1. jborg

jborg Savant (250) New York Dec 13, 2009

We're taking a vacation to Quebec City this summer, and I was wondering if anyone knows the laws on bringing beer into the US. I was hoping to visit Brassirie Dieu Du Ciel and pick up a few cases. I can only get one or two varieties of their brews around here even at the better distributors.

Also, if anyone can recommend another brewery to check out I'd love to hear about it! (but my French stinks!)

2. Going into canada from the u.s is 9L per adult after a 48hour period. I hope for you that it's the same on the way back.

3. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (545) New York Jun 11, 2007

If you have a sedan and no flags on your passport, the answer is "as much as you can fit in the trunk".

That said, I seem to remember it being a case per adult, but that was only ever going into Canada - we never brought anything back.

4. It is was a few years ago, but my dad drove me from FL to Nova Scotia for college.. He straight up told the customs lady he had a few bottles of liquor and some wine and it was no problem (although their are strict limits). I drove from Canada to the US a couple times but I really do not remember many if any questions about how much alcohol my dad had. My advice is talk to a customs agent on your way into Canada and ask what you are allowed to take back with you.
    Grab a case of labatt blue for me eh!

5. madlypat

madlypat Disciple (50) Apr 11, 2012

one case per adult, after that I think you have to pay tax

6. As long as you declare what you have it usually isn't a problem.

Just tell the custom agent you have a couple cases of Canadian beer. They won't think anything of it.

7. LadyOfMuchBeer

LadyOfMuchBeer Savant (380) Texas Apr 30, 2011

I agree with the idea of asking going in. Good luck!! :)

8. LostTraveler

LostTraveler Savant (375) Maine Oct 28, 2011

Last time I went (last yr) I believe it was $2.85/case duty. You can bring back all you want, just have to declare it and the govt has to get their cut. (They often round down the # of cases, they dont really care too much)

9. If only there was a governmental agency charged with administering laws regarding importing items into this country. If there were such an agency, I would imagine they would post that information somewhere. Perhaps on some sort of worldwide web

http://cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/paying_duty.xml

10. bfg75

bfg75 Aficionado (235) Washington Feb 26, 2011

I regularly bring a case or two back from BC when I go up there to visit and I've never had a problem. I've been searched with two cases in the trunk and it was fine. From what I understand as long as it doesn't look like you're bringing back stuff to sell (cases of the same beer) US Customs generally doesn't care.

11. Yeah, just stock up& tell customs what you have. Make sure to get plenty of Unibroue, when I went to Montreal it was ridiculously cheap. DDC will be much cheaper there as well

12. premierpro

premierpro Savant (290) Michigan Mar 21, 2009

1 case per adult. After that you will pay taxes.

13. Always thought bringing beer from the US to Canada was ideal since it's cheaper and there's a different variety. Guess its opposite from an American point of view though.

If your going to Quebec, stock up on Unibroue. ;)

14. avenuepub

avenuepub Savant (295) Louisiana Apr 23, 2009

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/11056

These guys are worth seeking out. Trois Mouskatiers. Not sure exactly where they are located but it says Quebec.

Also there is a wonderful resturant in chambly that is associated with Unibroue. Can't think of the name at the moment but I'm sure Unibroue can tell you.

15. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Savant (405) New Mexico Jan 13, 2006

IF the agent feels like doing the paperwork. A week before liquids were banned in carry-ons we brought about a dozen 750's and several 4 packs from Belgium, plus about 6 bottles of wine from France, and a 10 liter box of good red wine in each suitcase, I think it came to about 35 liters total for the 3 of us. We declared every drop and got a lecture about how much paperwork was involved in collecting a minuscule amount of duty.

16. jborg

jborg Savant (250) New York Dec 13, 2009

Thanks for the replies! I'm traveling w/ 4 kids, so more than a 2 cases may not be possible. I'd like to get to Unibroue as well, but many of their offering are pretty common around here (fortunately).

17. You should check out the Canada part of the forum. Most of the discussions revolve around the opposite problem (i.e. getting beer from the big market), but the advice is still there!