1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Bringing Beer To a Party

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SmoothHoosier, Apr 5, 2013.

1. First, hello, i'm new to this site & I enjoy what i've been reading so far !

Now...I often go to parties and we all pitch in and bring beer & I always wanna bring Dogfish Head beers or Left Hand Stouts & my friends never touch my beers. I wanna contribute, but I don't wanna drink their piss beer. What do ya'll usually bring to the cookouts or parties ?

2. lookrider

lookrider Savant (425) Pennsylvania Apr 22, 2007

I always bring what I like and I try to find out what others like and bring an offering of that style that I think they may like but have never had before

3. Don't drink bad beer for their sake, drink great beer for YOUR OWN sake! Just bring food.

Jeffreysan likes this.
  4. randal

randal Savant (325) Texas Apr 21, 2004

Bring what you want. It's free beer for them, if they choose to pass on free beer let them.

GoldenChild, EdH, Haydn-Juby and 7 others like this.
  5. premierpro

premierpro Savant (350) Michigan Mar 21, 2009

I bring what I like to drink and a few extras to share. You can always bring them back home if no one likes them!

Jeffreysan and kemoarps like this.
  6. ressling

ressling Savant (280) Georgia Oct 26, 2011

There's a simpler solution: find friends that drink good beer.

7. I bring what I want to drink myself (usually pales or ipa's, nothing crazy) and if someone else wants to drink it too then all the better.

kemoarps, JxExM and dianimal like this.
  8. I usually just don't contribute and then don't drink whatever they bring because it wouldn't be fair and because I don't want to drink macro lagers anyway. Still, if you want to contribute, I'd recommend Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold, Great Lakes Eliot Ness, Three Floyds Jinx Proof, Victory Prima Pils, Weihenstephaner Hefeweiss, Weihenstephaner Original, and pretty much any "easy" pale ale like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Dale's Pale Ale, etc. Besides the pales and the hefe, all of these are better, non-adjunct examples of the lagers your friends already drink.

seakayak and Reneejane like this.
  9. Rohkey

Rohkey Savant (350) Michigan Jan 13, 2013

I usually bring a 6 pack of some cheaper brews (New Belgium, Hoegaarden, etc) and offer to share if someone really wants one. Fortunately my friends are starting to get into craft beer more and usually have some pretty decent things, but they also like their vodka and such too. I don't bring the expensive stuff that I like because I find my friends inevitably want to try them and I only get to enjoy a couple before I either have to relinquish them or be a selfish jerk and hoard them to myself.

Dools9 likes this.
  10. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (780) Florida Oct 24, 2010

That falls into the "easier said than done" category

11. jchoffman

jchoffman Aficionado (195) Georgia Jan 28, 2012

I bring what I like and if they want some fine, but if not, fine also.. I will not drink beer that I don't like.. I would rather drink water(almost the same anyhow)

craigo19 and kemoarps like this.
  12. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (390) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

Most of my friends drink some type of craft beer so it's not a huge deal for me. I always make sure to bring something not only that I will enjoy, but is approachable to others. By approachable, I mean I'm not bringing anything I can't just go to a store and pick up more of. I will never attempt to leave with beer I brought to a party. People have their own opinions on this, but I think it's very bad form.

alex_hart and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  13. I'm with you. Funny thing is, if I leave my craft beer at their house & I go back a week or so later....BONUS because my beer is still in their fridge & I can drink it. Hahahaha !

14. Swik

Swik Savant (290) Indiana Oct 2, 2012

I just bring what I like and more and more I see them raising their brows and asking questions about it so their intres
    t is peaking, alot of them are starting to get on the gumball head wagon

15. Get better friends ;)

BostonPhilly and SmoothHoosier like this.
  16. Hahahahahaha ! I know, right.

'Round here, they like Milwaukee Best, PBR, Bud Light, Corona, or Natural Light :(

17. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (780) Florida Oct 24, 2010

But yeah, echoing some sentiments above, I usually go for a high-quality, but still easy and accessible sixer for $10 or less. In my neck of the woods that might be Sierra Nevada, Brooklyn, Smuttynose, Long Trail, Peak, Ithaca*, Sixpoint (though a 4-pack is 8oz less than a typical sixer), Saranac, Lake Placid, Goose Island, Founders*, and of course, Sam Adams.

*Often more than $10, but sometimes good prices pop up

JuliusCaesar likes this.
  18. BeerKangaroo

BeerKangaroo Initiate (0) Alaska May 30, 2011

You need sessionable brews, beers worth drinkin' with some food, try Founders All Day IPA, or even the Founders Pale Ale, do you get any New Glarus Brewing Co. in Indiana if so, try Spotted Cow (only New Glarus I've ever had)? I had the Dynamo Copper Lager by Metropolitan Brewing and I thought it was decent to have with some food. If you get Weyerbacher, look for Last Chance IPA, or Old Scratch Amber Lager by Flying Dog if that goes out there. Also, Great Lakes has the Dortmunder Gold, Eliot Ness, and Burning River that are sesionable and good with food (am thinkin' that goes to Indiana). Also, Bell's Best Brown, Amber, Porter, Oberon (seasonal) I'm assuming you get out there are good. Good luck. Have fun.

Dools9 likes this.
  19. Thank you ! I'll give it a gander

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  20. spicoli00

spicoli00 Champion (760) Indiana Jul 6, 2005

I would check one of the pilsner or lager threads for recommendations. Even BMC drinkers can drink those without making a weird face or commenting about drinking pine cones.

Sun King Cream ale?

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  21. cdmillard

cdmillard Savant (430) Maryland Feb 17, 2013

My daughter and her husband drink Bud Light. They swear its the best beer in the world. Whenever I go over there, I take a quality 6 pack, 4 pack, bombers, etc with me in an attempt to help them see the error of their ways. Never works, but at least there is something there for me to drink!

22. I feel ya. It's worse when you bring good beer, and everyone says "Oh Sean, we knew you'd bring good beer!" and everyone wants one, because it's delicious, and you share because you're friends with these people, and then you have one or two good beers and are stuck drinking their less-than-enjoyable beers for the rest of the day, and so the next time you go to a party you bring MORE beer so that you can have enough for yourself, but that doesn't really help any because you only get one more than you did before and everybody else just keeps grabbing your Firestone Pale 31, and you can't really afford to buy a case of beer every time you go to a cookout, and this is getting expensive and.... well - you get the point.

23. Most of my buddies will dabble in better beer, but in the end stick to primarily BMC and Sam Adams stuff. Lately I've been bringing a combination of my go to cheap beer in 'Gansett Lager, in addition to a few decent craft brews for myself. The way I see it, if we end up having a few too many beers, I'd rather drink 'Gansett than waste the good stuff when I can hardly taste anything. I shared a six of All Day IPA recently and a few of my friends thought it tasted like licking the pine sap off of a tree. Although a few off them have actually come a long way and show up with Troegs or Victory variety packs here and there which is pretty cool.

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  24. cmannes

cmannes Savant (400) Minnesota Mar 15, 2009

Bring a sixer of a 'gateway' beer. Fat Tire, Hoegaarden, etc. DIPA & Heavy stouts scare folks.

Then for people who've gone through the gateway, bring a sixer of something a little more potent.

kemoarps likes this.
  25. Sam_Frank

Sam_Frank Initiate (0) California Nov 29, 2012

I usually try to at least bring something that non craft drinkers might find more palatable. Like Sierra Pale Ale...

I've gotten in the habit of bringing things to my parents house when they have get togethers, to taste stuff. Not forcing it, but hey, why not have someone try something they haven't had?

My mom and sister actually liked Ovila Quad. that was a triumph. not that they're going to go out and buy any now

I do bring enough for myself too though because otherwise I'll have to drink Miller Light. my brother in law is the only other person who at least will drink good beers (though he doesn't stock them)

26. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Savant (445) Illinois Mar 19, 2012

Zombie Dust

alysmith4, JimSmetana and pschul4 like this.
  27. fredmugs

fredmugs Poobah (1,055) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

Are they snobs about other things but not beer? Do they wear Birkenstocks and drive Prius'? That type seems to love Fat Tire. I'm not sure if they really like it or it's just safe to say they like it.

28. Went to a baby shower the other day and brought some Red Peak brews. A few non-BA buddies tried them and really liked them.

Basically, dont force it on them, cover your own bases, and the rest will work itself out.

dianimal, mecummins, kemoarps and 4 others like this.
  29. These are simple folk that are set in their ways. These are folk that would spend money on bourbon or vodka, but not beer. It's just at some get togethers, we aren't tryin' to go too hard & a beer does good...but a good beer is what's in order & they don't wanna stray from the usual.

fredmugs likes this.
  30. mborden

mborden Savant (430) New York Jan 28, 2009

Reading this I imagined you saying it all in one breath

PuckIt, PortLargo and kemoarps like this.
  31. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (965) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I can drink pretty much anything. This helps me greatly in part situations. I usually just bring a Sam Adams seasonal 12 pack or maybe even a variety pack. Bringing something that I know other people won't want to try would be bad for the whole advocacy thing.

RoninTK3 likes this.
  32. Reneejane

Reneejane Savant (445) Illinois Jan 15, 2004

I agree with all previously mentioned, dogfishhead 90 minute is not an approachable beer, nor are some left-hand stuff, plus, east coast and Colorado.

try local.

When you get to Oktober stock up on 3floyds Munsterfest, it's LOCAL and that'll appeal to people and it'ls very approachable, plus an amazingly perfect example of a non-export Oktoberfest.But, I agree also Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold, also approachable but local. two brothers Domain DuPage coudl be close to you and approachable and local.

33. A mix pack of something sounds like a good idea. There are usually a couple more approachable beers for the macro crowd and a few enjoyable beers for people more into craft.

kemoarps likes this.
  34. Brooklyn Lager and lots of it.

35. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,050) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Pics or it didn't happen.

36. jcb7472

jcb7472 Savant (475) Florida Jul 13, 2011

Summer cookouts, if I want to bring something that pretty much everyone at the party will enjoy, a lot of times I will grab a 12 pack of Sierra Nevada Summerfest Lager. Seriously, I haven't found a single person that doesn't like it, even Bud Light drinkers. It's something I don't mind session-ing on a hot day and it opens my BMC-drinking friends eyes a little. If I bring IPAs, I end up having them mostly to myself because most of my friends don't like them.

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  37. Why didn't I ever think of getting a local brew. I live right across from Louisville & we have Bluegrass Brewing Company, too. Thanks, ya'll !!

Reneejane likes this.
  38. Rainier

Rainier Savant (280) California Dec 20, 2012

LoL, I wouldn't waste money on bringing expensive beers to a party... I just wouldn't drink though.

DarkDragon999 likes this.

39. Sssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ;)

draheim likes this.
  40. Mattco

Mattco Savant (250) Illinois Jun 5, 2011

NB Shift is always a safe choice for BMC drinkers.

Prh27 likes this.