1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bringing beer to another party/get together!?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by thecraftculture, Jan 18, 2013.

1. I tend to bring beer that I believe everyone will join. Not all my friends are into craft beer and I want more friends to enjoy the beer I do. I will bring a random hefeweizen/wheat beer or something local that they can relate too.

Do you bring beer to your friends house with the intent in sharing!?
  2. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

Most of the time I go to a friends house, its for a tasting. That said, yes I normally do bring somethong to a tasting.

I normally don't go to parties where the intention is just to get drunk. Makes it easier. Anytime im going somewhere to drink, its for quality beer.
    thecraftculture likes this.
  3. I need new friends.
    clubarsky91 likes this.
  4. i always share my beer!
  5. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

I usually bring some beer that I enjoy and I always share. It insures that there will be something there that I will drink and it can be a great ice breaker too if it's a party where you may not know a lot of guests.
    Nectar likes this.
  6. vertigelt1

vertigelt1 Initiate (0) Texas Nov 11, 2009

It really depends on the crowd. I recently went to a party that was essentially a French salon (where the purpose of the gathering was intellectually stimulating conversation about some heady topic or another). I brought some bombers and 750ml bottles of some special beers I'd picked up for the event. I also brought some Crispin ciders. I brought my own glassware for myself and a few tasters for anyone who wanted to try. At another party, a game night, the hosts can't stand beer of any kind, though their guests are craft-aware and game to try beers that aren't TOO daring. So, I bring one or two bombers of something mild but interesting and a few six packs of something like Firestone Walker Double Barrel Ale or SNPA. Something that I used to drink around the bonfire out of the bottle, and if I had to, I can drink from the bottle again without losing much of the experience. Luckily, at such parties, whatever doesn't get drunk goes home with me, so I cant complain too much!

At any rate, no matter the crowd, I always bring something I don't mind drinking and I always share with anyone interested.
  7. Crusader

Crusader Savant (345) Sweden Feb 4, 2011

If someone expresses an interest in the beer I'm drinking or holding, which happens now and then, I'm happy to let them try it and get a conversation going. For a party I typically bring the beer I plan on drinking myself as does everyone else pretty much. My circle of friends consists of casual craft beer drinkers, as am I, so neither of us will typically bring only craft beer, so the ones we do bring we'll want to drink ourselves apart from letting others taste them (though sometimes we've gone shopping for beers together and some of us end up buying the same beers to try). I have been treated to free craft beers from friends though, whilst I myself have mostly given away macro lagers to people (to both non-craft beer drinkers and casual craft beer drinkers). There might be a slight imbalance there that needs to be corrected on my end.
  8. I bring my own beer to whatever party or get together I go to. I don't care what my friends drink, but if they want to try a sip, I'll let them.
  9. I always bring a sixer or tw if its a beer crowd. Depending on the crowd I will bring better or avg( SNPA type) beer. All my crowd drinks good beer. I recently went to a party around Xmas that was a different crowd. I brought a 750 of Kwak as that was what I had around that I thought was not a crazy beer and it was for the host, like a bottle of wine, not a six pack. The beer served was coors light in a keg. I drank the coors and had a good time. After a few hours we came back to my place and drank our type of beer.

Enjoy
  10. mrcraft

mrcraft Advocate (595) California Dec 15, 2012

I intend to introduce my non-craft friends to craft beer at our next gathering, Super Bowl Sunday. I already have beers picked out. Whether any of them convert is another question though...
  11. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Noble Pils or Pride and Joy for the masses.

Crazy, goofy stuff for yourself.
  12. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

You don't have to bring things for other people to enjoy, but I think if you want to be a real beer advocate you should always let people try things and let them know about what style it is, the brewery, etc.
  13. NorCalYeti

NorCalYeti Savant (340) California Dec 18, 2008

yes...that's always the protocol. i know what some of my friends are into...ipas...and others that are more experimental...i always know what i'm getting into and plan accordingly. simply stated, high alcohol heavy hitters is what always seem to make it in the bag. maybe a bottle of red, sparking wine, or scotch to share with the ladies.