1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Broadening Your Beer Horizons

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Neary, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Neary

Neary Aficionado (125) Ohio Jan 31, 2013

So, I've been managing a beer section in a liquor store in Toledo, Ohio with an amazing selection (Almost anything you can buy in the state) for about a year now. I've tried a lot of beers, mainly IPA's, stouts. Been getting more into Belgian triples, pales, and ipas (piraat, duvel, l'chouffe ipa) and even some american belgian-style triples. I just tried the onibroue 17 reserve and loved it. I want to try some different styles but I just don't know what to try, at least of a certain style. Any help and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

2. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

What store? I'm in Cleveland and I drive by Toledo all the time.

3. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

I would do like I do and just try every style you can. See which ones in each style you can get that other folks rate highly and give em a try.

creepinjeeper and dianimal like this.
  4. drtth

drtth Champion (860) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

Welcome to the site and a beer journey!

To expand on Cavedave's comment just above:

Click the link near the top of this page that says "beers."
    Then on the new page, click the link that talks about beer styles.
    Pick a style you haven't had and click on it.

Up will come a description of the style (which is more or less accurate) and a list of the beers available in the database ordered by how often they've been reviewed, which is at least partly related to how widely available they are.

You can also order the list by its average ratings (adjusted statistically to compensate for how many reviews a beer has had).

Start sampling at the top of either list and find out
    a) whats available to you and give it a try, and
    b) which you and other BAs enjoy the most.

This site can be a great place to explore and there's lots of useful information scattered about here and there so while drinking those beers spend a bit of time exploring the various links, etc., etc.

5. Neary

Marino's

davemathews68 and beercanman like this.
  6. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Hefeweizen, Dopplebock, Barleywine are a few that I would recommend.

TongoRad likes this.
  7. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Savant (405) New Mexico Jan 13, 2006

My technique is very detailed and requires no planning-I walk into a store(pass the macro-swill section) and start looking for beers I've never heard of. Buy a couple of beers, drink them and THEN research the style. This way you have no preconceived notions or expectations. Hype builds up pretty fast on sites like this and it can cause a person to "want" to like a popular beer. If you don't like it you may question your ability to properly enjoy a beer or wonder why you don't like what everybody else loves.

8. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

Since you work at a store, why not just try different stuff? Figure out what you like and don't like. No need for hand holding...

JrGtr, leedorham and 5thOhio like this.
  9. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (490) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

Gueuze. Lots of it.

10. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Champion (910) New York Aug 25, 2010

11. Schwartzbier, marzen, kriek( not lindemans!), and Berliner weisse

ChipMurray and RochefortChris like this.
  12. rgordon

rgordon Savant (370) North Carolina Apr 26, 2012

Samuel Smith ales to get an idea about English beer. When you have tried those, branch out to more obscure English and Scottish selections- check (darn) Shelton Bros website (also B United Intl). Your store is certain to carry a number of these.

TongoRad likes this.
  13. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

I second that. Just drink a bunch of different beers. It's not hard.

14. Lots of great suggestions so far- but the first thing that came to my mind was that you need to get some Weizenbocks, stat! Go straight to Schneider Aventinus, Ayinger Weizenbock and Weihenstephaner Vitus. If you like Tripels, you'll love those beers.

DrStiffington, cavedave and Neary like this.
  15. Neary

Well I tried the Dupont Avec Les Bons Voeux today and that was amazing. Also made a trip to MI for some short's beers. Either way, it isn't a matter of hand holding. I just wanted to see what other people like or reccommend. Most everyone loves a good IPA or stout and I was just trying to try some different styles.

16. geneseohawk

geneseohawk Savant (370) Illinois Nov 4, 2008

I just got into Saisons this past summer. I don't see myself drinking them over the cold months here in IL but in the spring and summer they are fantastic: I love Saison Dupont, Brooklyn Sorachi Ace, and Tank 7.....

creepinjeeper and deadonhisfeet like this.
  17. Lots of great suggestion so far, mine is a bit more long term both for you as a beer advocate, and for your store.

Start homebrewing/talk to local brewers and friend's with homebrewing experience. This will complement the previous suggestions about trying new beers very well. The ratings/reviews are a great start, but knowing what a style should taste like, and what specific malts, hops, yeast...etc. taste like is an amazing advantage.

Second, travel to Europe. There's beers and experiences over there that you simply can't get here.

18. This! I made it my goal to try as many good saisons as I could over the summer and really explore the style for the first time. There certainly are some great beers to be found in that category. Might do the same thing next summer with Belgian IPAs.

Greywulfken likes this.
  19. klaybie

klaybie Savant (275) Illinois Nov 15, 2009

Buy a different brand or style each time and DO NOT look at the reviews/style description before drinking the beer! That way if you think Lagunitas Sucks actually does suck then your opinion won't be based on anything but your own taste buds.

For some style recommendations:
    Hefeweizen
    Belgian Strong Dark Ales (Chimay Blue should be readily available)
    Sours (watch the price tag though, these can bust your wallet wide open! Try Rodenbach for a cheap intro sour)
    And seeing as Autumn will soon be upon us: Pumpkin Ale

Enjoy the journey!

20. dieBlume

dieBlume Savant (280) Virginia Mar 18, 2013

There was a thread sorta kinda like this on reddit the other day. OP asked people about creating their ideal 6pk. Perhaps you'd be interested to see what people say? Link.

21. Something I just did which was a lot of fun was go through the 250 and make a list of the ones that are super easy to find. Among them are a ton of imports and wacky styles that I don't think I would have tried otherwise.

Give Gruit and Rauchbier a try.

22. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Champion (910) New York Aug 25, 2010

Belgian IPAs! Another winning style! :D

deadonhisfeet likes this.
  23. Mandark

Mandark Savant (305) Illinois Apr 8, 2008

A saison during the first real snowstorm, stuck at home and watching the flakes fall, is a delicious thing. I love stouts, porters, brown Ales, etc in fall/winter as much as anybody, but don't let the seasons limit you. I make sure to have a bottle of Dupont's Bon Voeux on hand every New Year's Eve, as well. Because saisons are awesome.

24. Buy singles, try everything.

25. Brenden

Brenden Champion (815) Ohio Feb 25, 2008

I love Marino's. I actually began, after a couple Sam Adams and the like, with Belgians. It's an interesting place to start. It's really just a matter of trying all kinds of different stuff. I branched out and have discovered that there's at least one beer in every style I've tried that I like. That's not the case for everyone, but nothing gets accomplished without a little experimentation.

26. saisons, hefeweizens and berliner weisse's