1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Brooklyn Brewery and D. Carnegie & Co. to build a brewery/restaurant in Stockholm, Sweden

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Todd, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (1,410) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

BROOKLYN AND D. CARNEGIE & Co. TO COLLABORATE ON NEW BREWERY IN STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN

BROOKLYN, NY—Brooklyn Brewery, D. Carnegie & Co., and Carlsberg Sweden today announced the launch of a new brewery and restaurant in central Stockholm.

The Brooklyn- New Carnegie Brewery will be built in the landmarked Luma Factory buildings in Hammarby Sjöstad , a residential and commercial complex that fronts on Stockholm harbor. The waterfront brewery will have brewing capacity for 8,000 BBL’s and restaurant capacity for 100 visitors inside and another 150 visitors outside.

The Brooklyn Brewery will manage and operate the project through a wholly owned Swedish subsidiary, and Brooklyn Brewmaster Garrett Oliver and his team will be brewing special Brooklyn beers and developing new beers for the New Carnegie brand. “We love Stockholm, and the whole Brooklyn brewing team is looking forward to their stints at Brooklyn-New Carnegie. We’re going to have a lot of fun brewing and creating beers with our Swedish team,” said Oliver.

In 2011, the Brooklyn Brewery collaborated with Carnegie to produce a bourbon barrel-aged version of the world classic beer Carnegie Porter to celebrate the 175th anniversary of the Carnegie Brewery.

“We distributed Carnegie Porter years ago in New York,” said Brooklyn Brewery Chief Operating Officer Eric Ottaway, who is spearheading the project for the Brooklyn Brewery. “We have great respect for the tradition that Carnegie represents, and we look forward to developing the portfolio of beers.”

Joakim Losin, CEO of New Carnegie, said the brewery and restaurant would be a meeting place for Sweden’s craft brewers and their followers, and a school for Swedish beer lovers to learn more about craft beer. The new brewery/restaurant will be open for tours and regular lunches and dinners. It also will host special events in a demonstration kitchen.

Carnegie is the oldest trademark in Sweden. The company was purchased by Carlsberg when it bought the Pripps Brewery in 2001, and Carlsberg Sweden was established.

Brooklyn Brewery brands have been imported by Carlsberg Sweden since 2006. Sweden is the largest export market for the Brooklyn Brewery.

Brooklyn ships many of its bottled beers to Sweden, including its flagship Brooklyn Lager and its 750-ml bottle-conditioned beers like Brooklyn Local 1 and Brooklyn Sorachi Ace. It also ships tankers of beer to Sweden which are kegged in Falkenberg. Brooklyn Lager and Brooklyn East India Pale Ale are available on draft all over Sweden.

Brooklyn Brewery is America’s leading craft beer exporter. Brooklyn also has a joint venture partnership with the Amarcord Brewery in Apecchio, Italy. Brooklyn imports Amarcord’s Ama Bionda and Ama Bruna beers to the United States.

More: http://brooklynbrewery.com/blog/news/new-brewery-stockholm/

http://brooklynbrewery.com
    http://www.dcarnegie.se

###
    MarkJBurch likes this.
  2. Crusader

Crusader Savant (345) Sweden Feb 4, 2011

This is really interesting news. I wonder if the Carnegie brand will remain a bottom fermented Baltic Porter as it has been since 1993 when it was moved from one brewery to another within the Pripps conglomerate. Perhaps they will develop top fermented porters as well, since the 175th anniversary porter used a combination of a lager and an ale yeast (which was the case from 1983 to 1993, before which it was top fermented). Either way I'm excited to see where Carlsberg Sverige choose to take the brand, and their brewing, in light of this, in cooperation with Brooklyn Brewery.
  3. Sounds interesting to me although to reference another recent thread, would Brooklyn maintain their craft status to people if they are partnering with the 4th biggest brewer in the world?
  4. Crusader

This is a can of worms to be sure. The strong beer sales, above 3.5%, in Sweden amounts to 240+ million liters per year via the monopoly, some 400+ million liters if you count the grocery channel (i.e all beer, non-alcoholic, 2.25, 2.8, 3.5 and above combined). The annual sales of Yuengling Brewery, the largest American owned brewery, hower around 300 million liters per year currently. So almost the entire Swedish beer market could be covered by one American brewery which barely holds one percent of the beer market in the US.

This is the reality which Carlsberg Sweden is working in. Their market share is close to 30% of the beer market in Sweden (i.e 30% of 400 million liters, in comparison Yuengling sells somewhere around 300 million liters in the US by 2012). They've partnered with breweries such as Brooklyn brewery to broaden their portfolio, since Swedish beer drinkers appear to demand more diversity, and they've partnered with this brewery in producing a well recieved imperial porter, the Carnegie 175th anniversary porter.

I would say that there is quite the difference inbetween Carlsberg Sweden and a company such as MillerCoors or ABInbev, even as I prefer the Swedish brewer Spendrups (another macro brewer).
    kelvarnsen likes this.
  5. Of course Carlsberg Sweden is just one division of the parent company known as the Carlsberg group which is huge. By comparison would people think it was a big deal if Brooklyn partnered with Labatt?
    Crusader likes this.
  6. Crusader

I would guess so, Craft beer enthusiasts are very careful when it comes to breweries that they like partnering with big macro brewers (just think about the Goose Island discussion). But I think that this discussion is rather one sided, since in Europe we have macro brewery conglomerates that brew all malt pale lagers of 20ish IBU (as is the case in Sweden since the late 80s) alongside importing craft beers from the US, with Carlsberg Sweden being the importer for Brooklyn Brewery, ensuring that their Brooklyn lager and Eeast India pale ale is on the shelves in the Swedish monopoly, whilst the other major Swedish brewing entity known as Spendrups has the distribution rights, as far as I know, for Samuel Adams (though the distribution rights might have changed since several of the Swedish macro brewers promote Samuel Adams on their websites). The Swedish beer market is thus highly competitive, requiring even the macro players to keep a stable of American craft brands to be able to compete.

What might also be mentioned is the fact that both of the major players on the Swedish beer scene, i.e Carlsberg Sweden and Spendrups, have produced lager beers that use hops typically associated with American micro breweries such as Cascade hops, clocking in at 30ish IBUs. Due to the limited releases by the Swedish alcohol monopoly, this has resulted in a competition inbetween these two breweries in introducing new "pseudo" craft lagers that taste really nice if I may say so. This is on top of them promoting American craft brands via the monopoly as well as via bars, getting Brooklyn lager and Samuel Adams onto taps in Swedish bars across the country.
  7. Crusader

Btw for people who understand Swedish they've released a more detailed pdf of what they plan to do with this Carnegie brew pub/marketing vehicle.

http://www.nyacarnegiebryggeriet.se/NCB_download.pdf

I will try to translate a decent part of it since it's rather interesting, in my mind at least, to read about the considerations made by a company owned by and beholden to its stockholders, which I think everyone should be made aware of if they aren't already. This is the way capitalism works. Some good things come out of it and some bad things come out of it depending on your view point. The most important thing though is to be informed so you can make an informed decision.
    jdmandel likes this.
  8. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Given the popularity of Brookyln in all of Europe (I see them and Samuel Adams [which has a Brewery in the UK now] more than anyone else when it comes to US craft), I think more of a prescence in the region is a logical conclusion. Small market with a big partner means lower risk.
  9. Crusader

These are the most important parts from the press release, my translation.
    http://www.nyacarnegiebryggeriet.se/NCB_download.pdf
  10. Well, seeing as Brooklyn's Steve Hindy sits on the Brewers Association board (and was among the several B.A. members who recently did the op-ed articles about the "faux crafts" coming from AB and MC), it's certain that he knows the rules (and the exceptions made) for their "craft brewer" definition. "Partnering" is not part of the criteria, of course, only ownership over 25% - thus the MC Tenth & Blake/Terrapin connection doesn't affect the latter's craft status (nor did the 20% CBA owned of Kona in years past, before they bought them outright).

As for "people's" (i.e., by which you mean "craft geeksters" I'm guessing ;)) view of the connection - well, that's another matter around here, where breweries like Dogfish Head, Stone and Bell's are often considered "Big craft brewers" and I'll think, "Oh, "Big" as in 1/50th the size that regional F. & M Schaefer Brewing Co. was when I started drinking beer?"

Brooklyn started out as a contract brew, basically following the business model of Koch's Boston Beer Co. When they began, using F. X. Matt as their contractor, few would have thought the brewer of Utica Club, Matt's Premium, Ft. Schuyler and Maximus Super as a "craft" brewery. Even though Matt had contract-brewed what was arguably the first such "contract/craft" brand, New Amsterdam, and had done some of their own "craft-ish" beers like their annual Christmas beer and the first Saranac beer- known as 1888 at the time. (Matt, now, of course, is "retroactively" considered a craft brewer, even thought it dates from the pre-craft era of the late 19th century).

And, of course, Boston Beer's craft status (again, in the eyes of the B.A., not the craft geeksters) was never in jeopardy when their beer was brewed by macros like Miller, Stroh and Heileman, and had partnerships with foreign macros like Whitbread and even Interbrew.

(Go further back, and no one ever faults Fritz Maytag for getting his yeast by knocking at the back door, empty bucket in his hand, of local SF breweries owned by then-huge macro companies like Lucky/General, Falstaff and Hamm's.)

Carlsberg is still the relatively 'unknown' international megabrewer in the US. It was absent (or nearly so) from the US market for many years - at some point, it was brewed under license by Labatt for the US market and, of course, the brewed-under-license Tuborg (by Carling, Carling-National and Heileman) was long the best known Carlsberg brand in the US.

When they re-entered the US market a few years ago, creating an import division - Carlsberg USA - it quickly disappeared, first going indie as "Beverage Alliance" and they apparently bought by the huge US distributorship chain, L. Knife, and folded into their import subsidiary, St. Killian's Importing.

(PS - you guys gotta switch to traditional "US [31 gallon] beer barrels" for your stats- or at least the Euro standard "hectoliters" - those "liter" figures are making my head swim. And here I used to laugh at the importers in the US who like to list their sales by "cases" [2.25 US gallons] to make the figures look more impressive! ;)).
  11. That is sort of what I was getting at. I mean personally I don't care who anyone partners with as long as good beer is the result. And I understand that doing this doesn't break any of the brewers associations "craft" rules. But at the same time I bet a lot of people would be pissed off if Brooklyn decided to partner with say Molson in Canada, a company that is almost as old as Carlsberg, but is of course owned by SAB Miller, or even Goose Island. I am just wondering where the line is drawn for people to the point where which huge brewing companies would the craft companies be ok to partner with?
  12. Well, as I noted Carlsberg as an international brewing powerhouse is a relative unknown in the US, and this site is dominated by US users. So there is no telling what the reaction would be to either this Brooklyn/Carlsberg or hypothetical Brooklyn/Molson hook-up, but they'd probably be all over the map (see any thread re: AB/Goose Island). After all, there are some who've posted about the "Genesee is owned by Moonies" or "Coors supports Nazis" rumors.

So far, based on this thread there isn't much interest either way re: Brooklyn/Carlsberg.

MolsonCoors remains an independent company, the Ninth largest brewing company in the world in 2012 according to Euromonitor. MillerCoors in the US (only) is a joint venture of MolsonCoors and SABMiller.

Boston Beer Co. made a deal to have Sheperd Neame brew Samuel Adams Boston Lager under license in the UK.
  13. billandsuz

billandsuz Savant (380) New York Sep 1, 2004

this appears to be a good opportunity for Garrett and his colleagues to spend some time in Stockholm.

as for the beer that will be brewed, nobody cares. maybe some people in Stockholm care, but that's it. nobody from either brewery seems to have much to say about the actual beer they will be brewing.

nobody cares and good for Brooklyn.
  14. brooklyn7

brooklyn7 Disciple (70) New York Nov 23, 2007

Carlsberg has no ownership interest in Brooklyn Brewery, and we have no ownership in Carlsberg. Carlsberg imports and distributes our beers in Scandinavia. Carlsberg-Sweden and Brooklyn Brewery have ownership interest in Brooklyn-New Carnegie, the new brewery and restaurant in Stockholm. Brooklyn is the managing partner. There are other investors, mostly former owners of D. Carnegie & Co, original brewers of Carnegie Porter.

I am a member of the Brewers Association Board of Directors.

I recently wrote an op-Ed for CNN.com contending that the acquisition of Modelo by ABInBev was bad for craft brewers because it further concentrates power in the beer industry in the hands of the duopoly that controls 75% of the US market. The op-Ed represented my views, not those of the Brewers Association.

Steve Hindy, cofounder and president, Brooklyn Brewery
    Sent from my iPad
  15. Brooklyn Brewery already takes up a decent amount of shelf space at Systembolaget in Sweden. That, along with the interest that the borough of Brooklyn holds in the minds` of many Swedes, is likely to make this a successful endeavor for them. And while the scene in Stockholm has improved over time, this will be a good addition to help round out ones options when going out on the town.
  16. Man, I love d. Carnegie porter. It's so fuckingood...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  17. It really makes the drive home tolerable...
  18. dauss

dauss Advocate (565) Colorado Aug 9, 2003

Looks like Brooklyn is on track to begin brewing in January.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...-targets-stockholm-amid-hipster-bromance.html
  19. rgordon

rgordon Savant (370) North Carolina Apr 26, 2012

Well, in any case, it's certainly an interesting alliance. Beer tourism takes on another face. I love the original Carnegie Porter (or at least some of the iterations) and wish the project well!