1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Brooklyn Monster Ale R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by bluntedboywonder, May 30, 2013.

1. R.I.P. Monster Ale: The Captain Goes Down With The Ship

[​IMG]
    Today it is with a heavy heart that we announce Brooklyn Brewery’s barley wine Monster Ale has reached the end of its run. But although this beer will no longer be produced, its spirit will live on… no, like literally: Monster Ale will age nicely for many years, so for those holding on to a bottle (or keg) there’s still some Monster out there left to enjoy.
    After the passing of Monster the Cat, things were just not the same with Monster Ale. The Monsters had come up in Brooklyn together, enjoying an incalculable tally of beer fans assembled in the Tasting Room basking in the duo’s respective glow, and witnessing the birth of new arrivals such as Local 1, BLAST! and Sorachi Ace, now all on course towards legacies of their own. When Monster was laid to rest, the spirituous, malty libation could be seen aimlessly meandering through the fermentation hall, lazing about the brewhouse, and listlessly watching the bottles fill up with beer in the packaging room, giving the sense to those close with this classic Winter Seasonal that perhaps the end was near.
    But don’t worry, even though one of its members has passed, the Brooklyn Beer family may just have some new suds in the oven…
    KolbMarley and smutty33 like this.
  2. I have walked by that beer many times as barelywine's aren't typically my type of brew. I may just have to grab one in memory of the beer and the fine feline.
  3. mark14580

mark14580 Initiate (0) New York Jan 15, 2011

Monster the cat was pretty awesome. The beer wasn't bad either.
    harrylee773 and smutty33 like this.
  4. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (770) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

I'll be the douche that says good.. I like Brooklyn too..
  5. It's a solid beer with some age. Great beginner cheap beer to age and experiment with. Beyond that, well, not shocked they're killing it off. Feels like they doesn't even make that much of it in recent years.
  6. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Savant (480) Massachusetts Mar 29, 2007

The last beer that I puked off of. Had never had it before and closed out a late night with one of these. I asked the bartender what kind of beer it was and he said it was "just an IPA" and poured me a full pint. Made for a bad night.
  7. Etan

Etan Advocate (745) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

I remember seeing Monster the cat lazing on a pallet of grain when I visited the brewery a couple years back. :(
  8. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

Yeah, I hate cats too.
  9. WTF man, I dig this stuff. Got some good verts goin..
  10. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

I bought a bottle of Monster off the shelf in Tampa that was already a year old. It was full-on terrific after that year of aging, too.
    benart, Takeanotherswing and mentor like this.
  11. phooky

phooky Savant (410) New York Jan 23, 2010

Hopefully they replace it with an American style barleywine!
    ..and maybe this one will actually be good
    spartanfan and danieelol like this.
  12. cloudhouse

cloudhouse Aficionado (100) Ohio May 21, 2005

So, was the last year the 2011 vintage? I have been waiting and waiting for 2012 to hit the shelves in either late 2012 or early 2013, but never saw any (I live in southwest Ohio). I was waiting to buy some 2012 before I had a vertical tasting with a few friends as I have several bottles of 2007-2011.
  13. Sam21

Sam21 Savant (350) Connecticut Dec 14, 2009

Always sad to see a beer retired. I thought it was a decent barley wine, but encountered many more that I enjoyed much more. It was a sweeter barley wine but I never found the sweetness to be interesting enough for being so central.
  14. superspak

superspak Champion (910) Michigan May 5, 2010

welp it looks like I am buying a 2 year old 4 pack or two from my corner store just to have. I haven't drank it in years, but I feel its time now.
    BlastBeats and mborden like this.
  15. Bottles of Monster Ale will be a whale in 2 years!
    ufmj likes this.
  16. eatabagofbooger

eatabagofbooger Savant (295) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

Didn't like this when I had it before, but that was a couple of years ago and before I had developed an appreciation for BWs. I may just crack the '07 and '12 I have in the cellar tonight in honor of both fallen Monsters.
    smutty33 likes this.
  17. yea i saw that. Cant say Ill miss it all that much, but it does scratch an itch if I want a barleywine.
  18. Certainly not one of the best barleywines out there, but it was the first one I ever had and opened my eyes to the entire style. I rarely grab it anymore despite its reasonable price and my continued affection for it, but I'll miss it for sentimental reasons.
  19. mborden

mborden Savant (410) New York Jan 28, 2009

Literally the first craft beer I bought when I moved to Syracuse to help with my unpacking several years ago. I definitely like it with some age on it. Looks like I'll pick up a couple of 4-packs I've been glossing over the last few times I've visited my local craft shop.
    fmccormi likes this.
  20. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I'll miss buying/trading for it. The brew was a thing of beauty with some cellaring time behind it and it could take a lot of cellaring time..
  21. So, SO glad a friend brought back a 4-pk of the 2011 from MI a couple of weeks ago...English-style BW's are my fav. style, and I thought the connection with Monster the cat was really cool...I woulda been bummed if I'd not gotten to try it.
    Bitterbill likes this.
  22. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

23. Wow, one of their better offerings
  24. It sits on the shelves everywhere .... I see cases of 2012 still all over the place - I like it but don't think it is special.... not surprised really. Maybe they start bottling blast.
    phooky and smutty33 like this.
  25. DanH83

DanH83 Aficionado (200) New York Feb 14, 2013

This was the beer that started me on the style, maybe stronger brews in general, ten years ago. I too pass it up now, but I have one 2011 in the cellar. I might have to grab another 4 pk or two to keep for a few years. It does well with age and I'd like to have it for posterities sake.
  26. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Champion (910) New York Aug 25, 2010

My first barleywine! I wasn't too fond of it, and I wasn't reviewing back then.
    I'm curious how it'll stand up to my more experienced beer palate now, especially since I've really become quite the fan of barleywines. Hope I can scrounge one up somewhere local.
  27. DanH83

It's out there, shouldn't have to look too hard.
  28. Greywulfken

Thanks - I hope so!

Cheers!
  29. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (345) New Jersey Aug 12, 2007

Maybe like Frankenstein it will come "ALIVE" again someday!!! Too bad. It is good stuff.
    JoeyBeerBelly likes this.
  30. JoeyBeerBelly

JoeyBeerBelly Initiate (0) New York Dec 15, 2006

I know a place that has plenty. Let me know if you can't find some, I'll hook you up.
    jimmy82063 likes this.
  31. Smells like a publicity stunt to me. You're not making the beer anymore because a cat died? Sucks about the cat but come on guys.
  32. Greywulfken

Thanks, bro - I'll let you know!

Cheers!
  33. I will miss this - yeah imbrue001 you have a good point
  34. Drat, I liked it more than the Black Chocolate Stout. Time to hunt some up.
    Slatetank likes this.
  35. Crookdrain

Crookdrain Savant (395) New York Jan 13, 2010

Blast is coming in 4 packs later this year, so said Garrett Oliver at one of the recent Brooklyn parties. Also, they're going to release a modified version of Wild One in 750's.
    phooky and fmccormi like this.
  36. Michigan

Michigan Initiate (0) Michigan Oct 24, 2012

Drank this '07 tonight in honor of this occasion.

[​IMG]
  37. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (760) New York Oct 24, 2010

When I saw a label approval for 12oz bottles of Blast, my interest was certainly piqued. And I would loooooove to see Wild One in a store near me . . . any idea on an ETA for either of those?
  38. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

Are you suggesting there might be some foul play?

I demand an autopsy.
  39. tzieser

tzieser Initiate (0) Arizona Nov 21, 2006

I'd love to see them bring back Brooklyn Backbreaker. I loved the english floor malts they used for that beer......amazing.

Either that or Cookie Jar Porter....i miss these damn beers.
  40. DanH83

How'd it go down?