1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Brown IPA?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by evilcatfish, Feb 5, 2013.

1. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (505) Missouri May 11, 2012

So I was thinking about how much I love brown ales and IPAs and strangely, have never had a Brown IPA. In fact, I've never even seen one for purchase. Via a quick net search I found Terrapin Hop Karma, a Stone/Ninkasi collab, and some homebrew info. Does anybody have any other examples of a Brown IPA? Why is this style so non existant?
  2. Not sure if Clown Shoes makes its way out there, but Brown Angel is deliciously hoppy brown.
    Thickfreakness likes this.
  3. ThatCracker

ThatCracker Savant (350) Virginia Nov 20, 2012

DH Indian Brown Ale is a good one
  4. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

It's not called a brown IPA, but Russian Rivers Janet's Brown has a pretty big hop profile.
  5. bigedct

bigedct Savant (405) Connecticut Jun 23, 2011

Gone now, but the Stone collabo, More Brown than Black IPA was amazing.
    afrokaze, Boomblaze, kneary13 and 7 others like this.
  6. Zaphog

Zaphog Champion (995) Michigan Sep 23, 2011

Dark Horse Tall, Dark and Crunchy's is amazing. Short's Bourbon Dirty Bird is damn good too. (Not that you'll be able to get them by you.)
  7. acevenom

acevenom Advocate (545) Louisiana Oct 7, 2011

You wouldn't be able to tell it now if you found a bottle somewhere, but beer TBA that was a collaboration with Stone, Bear Republic, and Fat Head's could have been called a Brown IPA.
    thecheapies likes this.
  8. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Oskar blues deuce. Get it? Deuce? Brown? Poop jokes never get old...

Edit: it also managed a score of 98 in this months issue of beer magazine.
  9. evilcatfish

Hmm no Clown Shoes in Missouri but they are distributed in Southern Illinois. Maybe I'll have to make a trip across the river soon...
  10. evilcatfish

Hmm this one sounds tasty
  11. Brown Angel from Clown Shoes is definitely a good brew. Also, Lagunitas Wilco Tango Foxtrot is a great hoppy brown.
    afrokaze likes this.
  12. godlessape

godlessape Savant (300) Georgia Dec 12, 2010

The DFS India Brown is great and I do like the Terrapin Hop Karma you mentioned.
  13. BB1313

BB1313 Advocate (695) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

Sixpoint Brownstone kinda fits the bill. It reminded me more of an old IPA than a brown ale. I wasn't really crazy about it, but it wasn't bad.
    BeerKangaroo likes this.
  14. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Savant (350) California Feb 22, 2011

EdH and Steve_Oldrati like this.
  15. mklisz

mklisz Advocate (540) New Hampshire Dec 31, 2010

Smuttynose Durty fits the bill.
  16. JoEBoBpr

JoEBoBpr Champion (760) Missouri Feb 26, 2004

Schlafly has a pretty regular rotating brew (on tap only) called India Brown Ale. Very good hoppy brow ale.
  17. rlee1390

rlee1390 Savant (470) Indiana Mar 6, 2010

I loved HF George. While in Albany, NY CH Evan's Kick-Ass Brown was solid.
    dap325 likes this.
  18. Terrapin's Hop Karma is one of my favorites. Highly recommend!
    gwdavis likes this.
  19. Naterobsnyk4

Naterobsnyk4 Savant (330) New York Jan 25, 2012

second that.
    bigedct likes this.
  20. DFH Indian Brown Ale pretty much takes the cake. After that, Terrapin's is good, and I think that Boulder Beer Co's Flashback Ale is not just head and shoulders above the rest of their offerings, but a very good beer.
  21. Smuttynose's short batch Durty was phenomenal. Imperial brown ale hopped extravagantly and dry hopped with simcoe. Great caramel notes that worked really well with the hop profile. Well worth checking out if you can do so....
  22. chocosushi

chocosushi Savant (450) Oklahoma May 1, 2011

DFH Indian Brown Ale takes the cake w/
    Clown Shoes Brown Angel as a close second.

Cigar City Jose Marti is an "Indian Porter" but that might be too dark for ya.

If yer into homebrewing I would brew up a batch for yerself, I actually just did
    a low gravity Brown IPA recently with pleasant results.
  23. Clicked on the thread to come in and say Brownstone. Personally, though, I had a much more pleasant experience with it than BB1313. Sweet, carmel flavors of a brown ale with a hop kick on the end.
    BB1313 likes this.
  24. Try Boulder Beer's Flashback India Brown Ale. IBUs around 65. Had some last week, and thought it was quite tasty!
    Onenote81 likes this.
  25. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

Has anyone made a Green or Blue IPA yet?
    Errto, mh007 and SenorHops like this.
  26. Also known as the brown eye
  27. Green? Well, even craft-oriented bars in the US "celebrate" St. Patrick's Day, so - probably.

Blue would be nice for Fourth of July- since there's already Red and White IPA's- "Hey, bartenda, gimme 'nother of them..... whatcha call'em's - oh, yeah - a Red, White and Blue ⅓ & ⅓ & ⅓!"

Back to the topic at hand...

Well, back in the early '90's, there was:

[​IMG]
  28. That one needed more 'India'!

I would also think that, in the early days Pete's Wicked Ale would've qualified, or even Alimony Ale. The last time I had either, though, the hops seem to have diminished.
  29. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

Stone/Bear Republic/FatHeads TBA (Texas Brown Ale) was a superb hoppy brown ale which did not garner as much credit as it deserved. Perhaps one of my all time favorite beer experiences.
    bigedct likes this.
  30. ThirstyFace

Someone should tell those one trick punks at The Alchemist to have a go. Lord knows it takes more than one good beer to be a respected brewery.
  31. Victory-Yakima Glory. A hoppy brew with a nice brown color and good malt balance. I think it was a special release though, not sure if there is any still available.
    elgiacomo likes this.
  32. ThirstyFace

It sticks around on shelves well through spring, and IMO gets better with a little age on it.
  33. Yakima Glory (née Yakima Twilight) is a yearly seasonal - not "special"- release: "Available on draft and in bottles November – February" according to Victory's webpage for it.
  34. Robtobfest

Robtobfest Savant (340) Connecticut Oct 21, 2009

Durty was friggin amazing. Perfect beer in my book.
  35. Not sure how widely distributed it got, but Smuttynose Durty was recently released and is a fantastic hoppy brown ale. My favorite before was the Stone collab More brown than Black IPA but Durty has won me over after trying it over the weekend.
  36. BeerKangaroo

BeerKangaroo Initiate (0) Alaska May 30, 2011

Try Evil Twin`s Hop Flood.
    bigedct likes this.
  37. jmmy3

jmmy3 Savant (335) Massachusetts Nov 30, 2010

Does anyone else really dislike the terms black/brown IPA etc.? Why does everything have to have IPA in the name nowadays? I love hoppy beers and IPAs are definitely my favorite style, but where's the creativity? Brown/black India Pale Ale doesn't even make any sense. It's nitpicky I guess but I find it kind of strange.
  38. Boulder Beer Flashback.
  39. BeerKangaroo

that`s what Iwas trying to think of earlier.
  40. BeerKangaroo

Can`t believe I forgot MBC`s Lunch and new holland`s mad hatter.