1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Brown IPA?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by evilcatfish, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Wouldn't adding a bunch of hops to a brown ale defeat the purpose of a brown ale? I guess what I am saying is, isn't a brown ale supposed to be a malt-bomb? I know it's what I reach for when I am not in a hoppy mood.

fishtremble likes this.
  2. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (385) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

My homebrew Brown recipe is called "Tighty Whitey's Brown Streak Ale". Hahaha!

3. misterid

misterid Savant (270) Wisconsin Apr 3, 2009

the idea of associating food/beverages with feces never made sense to me. maybe it's just me.

anyways, 3F's had a Chubby Brown on tap a while back that was fantastic. not sure how i feel about associating food/beverage with dicks..but.. there you have it

4. Well, somebody started a thread in the Homebrewing section asking on how to make a Romulan Ale. Would that count as a Blue IPA!?!;)

Cheers!

5. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

Agreed,
    Dry-Hoppin Heaven right there !

Cheers

6. Chinon01

Chinon01 Savant (440) Pennsylvania Jan 23, 2007

We Americans will not rest until every beer is an IPA.

7. Short's Brewing Good Humans mmmmm dry hopped goodness

8. leftoverburrito

leftoverburrito Savant (405) Oregon Sep 29, 2011

10 Barrel's Oregon brown ale. Super hoppy and the best beer they make. Dub being a close second.

9. Surly has that covered: Imperial Brown Eye.

smitherz22 likes this.
  10. Sam21

Sam21 Savant (350) Connecticut Dec 14, 2009

Must we really add IPA to everything? Can't something just be a hoppy stout, or a hoppy brown. I know, I know. I'm being nit picky. DFH Indian Brown is the one that comes to mind, although from what I have heard of Durty, that is one to check out.

I personally prefer my brown ales to be maltier and to showcase the depth of sweetness possible. It makes moving from a brown ale to an IPA more of an interesting transition. I do enjoy a good well thought out hoppy beer, but have grown tired of hops overpowering sweetness in some beers. I felt that way about Founders Imperial Stout when I tried it VERY fresh - I know it will settle into a couple years of age nicely though. Totally off topic - sorry for that!

Errto likes this.
  11. Errto

Errto Savant (305) Connecticut Oct 20, 2009

I would disagree with "bomb", but yes most "traditional" brown ales are malt-forward.

There's nothing wrong with making a hoppy brown ale, and I like several of them myself, but I definitely dislike the trend of calling everything hoppy an "IPA".

Providence and Sam21 like this.
  12. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Ever think that maybe there is no association and you're just a fecalphiliac? o_O

13. gwdavis

gwdavis Aficionado (190) Georgia Feb 8, 2012

As has been mentioned earlier, Terrapin Hop Karma is a really tasty synthesis of these two styles. It's the only one that I will consistently buy and drink in terms of a Brown IPA. However, I have not had many others.

14. misterid

misterid Savant (270) Wisconsin Apr 3, 2009

(scanning my brain for a poop joke)

i got nothing

15. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Back on topic though... A hoppy brown and a brown IPA are not necessarily the same thing guys. A brown IPA would lead me to expect an IPA that has had specialty grains added for color, but still embodies the characteristics of an IPA. A hoppy brown would be a brown that has had it's hop additions increased. Yeah?

16. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

Amen brotha. Poop never gets old. I dont care who ya are.
    Dhali Lama thinks it too!

Cheers!

gwdavis likes this.
  17. gwdavis

gwdavis Aficionado (190) Georgia Feb 8, 2012

That's fair

18. Anyone try FFF Mentol? They had that on tap at the brewpub and I want to say that was supposed to be a hoppy brown ale.