1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Brown...umm...gunk in Dreadnaught?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SeaOfShells, Feb 8, 2013.

1. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Savant (350) California Feb 22, 2011

I received a Dreadnaught in the mail today (Thanks Chris!) and as I was pouring it, I noticed a brown sludge inside the neck of the bottle. I'm sure it's not harmful. I'm just wondering. Any info on what it could be?
  2. yeast sediment?
  3. stxSS07

stxSS07 Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 23, 2010

Probably yeast, but you may have gotten a geriatric bottle. Not a whole lot o' stuff settled out in the fresh bottles of Dreadnaught.
  4. PoopChute69

PoopChute69 Initiate (0) Poland Oct 24, 2012

5. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (835) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

This is why FFF needs to date their bottles. I'm basically afraid to buy the Dreadnaught that I see at the local bottle shops because I've seen them there for the last couple months- though I don't know if they're being replenished or not.
    Boilerfood likes this.
  6. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Savant (350) California Feb 22, 2011

I've never had Dreadnaught, so I don't know what it tastes like old or fresh, but it's definitely leaving something to be desired.
  7. haruspexvic

haruspexvic Savant (250) Illinois Aug 23, 2012

I agree, I see it at the store all the time but I've never bought it. I've only had it when friends have bought it. three Floyd's make amazing beer but they need to get their bottle dating situated.
  8. Boilerfood

Boilerfood Savant (425) Indiana Jun 5, 2012

I love FFF, I dont understand why people love this beer. <Personal Tastes blah blah blah>
  9. teamwiggum

teamwiggum Advocate (500) Wisconsin Nov 30, 2008

Damn....I guess we leave FFF out of future trades unless it's a new release. Or they start dating. Sorry about that.
  10. Old hop chunks can look brown also, especially after being soaked in malt and yeast.
  11. raynmoon

raynmoon Savant (480) California Aug 13, 2011

One lucky bottle was spiked with brown sludge. The winner receives a fresh bottle of Dreadnaught.
    davey101 likes this.
  12. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

Just chew through.
  13. Angst

Angst Aficionado (185) California Nov 8, 2007

Or if you chew tobacco, just throw it in as a fat lipper!
  14. RobCBowman

RobCBowman Initiate (20) California Oct 26, 2012

I experienced a similar substance in two bottles of Port's Santa's Little Helper. Not sure what it is, but it can ruin the beer drinking experience.
  15. Surprised nobody has made a "slug" joke like that guy with the serria nevada
  16. VeganUndead

VeganUndead Advocate (645) Virginia Apr 25, 2012

It's a combo of yeast resin and hop sediment, in the neck of the bottle because whatever shop it was at had it sitting on its side. Even though it's unattractive that sediment actually contains a lot of vitamin B12. More B12 = less of a hangover, there's always a silver lining. Cheers gents.