1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $14.99 (US/print only). Offer ends April 30. Subscribe now! (Because great beer deserves great stories AND readers.)

Bruery Batch 1000 competition

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by sergeantstogie, Jan 30, 2013.

1. premierpro

premierpro Savant (350) Michigan Mar 21, 2009

After reading the details it sounds like they are cheap. They want to use your pict,voice and everything else for $500.There is nothing in this that sounds good. (Except for them getting 3 bottles of homebrew from everyone for them selfs to drink!)

2. A bit myopic, but ok.

pweis909 likes this.
  3. NiceFly

NiceFly Savant (395) Tajikistan Dec 22, 2011

Haha, yea the Bruery needs our recipes like they need a hole in the head.

All that lawyer stuff means is that you have to show up and take a picture and you do not get a profit share. 500$ sounds pretty good to me, probably cover my homebrew supplies for 9-12 months.

Back on topic, I do not have anything to send. I am considering making a Tripel for a local brewery comp in April, feasible to get one done in time if I get cracking now. I will simply up the sugar % fermentables and use the 500 cells/ml/plato from the Can You Clone it Exchange.

pweis909 likes this.
  4. I would do this even if there was no prize involved other than having them scale up your recipe.

sergeantstogie likes this.
  5. premierpro

I do not think $500 will buy me a ticket to California let alone hotels and meals. Now $5000 would be a more realistic number. I am sure it would not bankrupt them!

6. premierpro

W
    what is the reason you would need your recipe scaled up?

7. ejyoung

ejyoung Savant (335) Arizona Feb 24, 2005

I sent one in today so it will be there just in time. It's a saison that I used East Coast Yeast Saison Brett yeast, added more Brett C, and primarily hopped it with Nelson Sauvin (pretty aggressive hopping).

sergeantstogie likes this.
  8. yeastoftheeast

yeastoftheeast Disciple (55) Jan 29, 2013

I can say after winning the Batch 50 it was well worth the experience. Back then there was no $$ involved but still flew out on my own. Tasting Room inside the brewery was a perk. Will work for beer you bet.

pweis909, Patrick, ejyoung and 2 others like this.
  9. I brewed a very similar beer using Nelson and Citra with the ECY03. I will be dry hopping this one with Citra, Nelson, and Saaz... Very aggressive fermentation for such a low gravity beer. What was the FG of your beer and how long was it before the Brett funk started to kick in?

10. ejyoung

Nice, that sounds good. It ended up at 1.006. It isn't super funky yet - it is there but it is still young (brewed in December). This is the third one I've brewed with the ECY Saison Brett. None of them has gotten super funky, which I like. But there's definitely a good amount of funk after 6-8 months.

OddNotion likes this.
  11. ejyoung

Got my score sheets back today. Got a 38 from both judges. First time I've had a beer judged. I'm happy with that!

PortLargo likes this.
  12. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (615) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

The dudes who brewed night ryder belong to the brew club here in castle rock. They had it at the last club meeting, the shits good.

13. Kyle, the guy from MN who won with his stout is a hell of a brewer. I've had a dozen of his beers and all have been too notch.