1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bruery: Cuir vs. Coton vs. Papier

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by FozzieThaBurr, Feb 13, 2013.

1. FozzieThaBurr

FozzieThaBurr Disciple (65) Feb 8, 2013

A favorite bar that I frequently patronize recently acquired a couple of bottles of each of these. They are in the mid-$30 range, which is generally far more than I would pay for a beer, but I'm considering splitting one with a friend tonight. Can anyone shed light on them? I know they're all retired Bruery Old Ales that clock in at 14.5%. Has anyone tried all of them? Particular recommendation?

I don't believe any of them are the 100% bal version. Thanks.
  2. location of bar?
  3. SpdKilz

SpdKilz Advocate (700) Illinois Jan 8, 2009

That is a steal price wise for all three of them, especially Papier (seeing as when they were sold they are between 25-30+ in a store).

I would personally rank them Cuir, Coton, and then Papier. However, as far as rarity goes, Papier at a mid $30 in a bar is something I would readily pay.
  4. salzar

salzar Initiate (0) California Dec 27, 2008

I too would rank them Cuir>Coton>Papier, because this is a solera blend. $20 was the retail price of the non-bal. The last coton I had was a shell of its former self, and nothing compared to the BA version
  5. salzar

salzar Initiate (0) California Dec 27, 2008

Also, I think $30 bocks a bottle at a bar is very reasonable, now if you can find 9 people to split the vertical you will be set(maybe buzzed).
  6. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

had the cuir a couple times and thought it tasted like leather. bad. coton was great when it came out. not sure why the difference though.
    never had papier. I would def. pony it up.
  7. Papier has not aged well. Unless you want it for rarity's sake, I'd go with Cuir.
    merc7186 likes this.
  8. FozzieThaBurr

Thanks for the tips. The bar is Lord Hobo, my favorite bar in Cambridge. I live a couple of blocks away, so I'm there pretty regularly.

They posted a pic of the bottles on their FB page around EBF, so I don't know if they're still available. I went there the day they came in and my server wasn't sure of the exact price, said he believed they were in the mid-30's. Still not sure if I'm going to pull the trigger on one of these bad boys.
  9. Rosty

Rosty Aficionado (190) New York Nov 29, 2006

The regular papier definitely did not age well. The Coton was my favorite of the bunch. To bad they are not the BA versions. But try the Papier as it might have been cellared properly and taste excellent.
  10. Last year I paid $22 for Cuir, at that time the most $ I had spent on a beer. Was it good? Yes. Great? No. Forgettable? Yes. Just another one and done, i had no interest in the series after the one.

If you ask me, your money is better spent on something unforgettable, go get yourself a bourbon county. But hey, it's your money. $30 is way high, I get tired of hearing "it's a bar".

I recently saw Brooklyn Black Ops listed at a "bar" for $75. that's not a typo, $75. When I questioned the manager, his reply was "we aged it 2 years, and I'll drink it myself if I have to". This bar also lists Weyerbacher Tiny (sells in Wegemans for $8) for $30 I think? Yes, Tiny. There's other egregious listings at this "bar".

I say it's Johhny come lately's like this who give craft and business in general a bad name. Now everyone jump up and down to tell me $75 Black Ops is OK.
  11. FozzieThaBurr

This place is as legit as it gets. I trust that the beer has been well cellared. Also, their bottles are always reasonably priced for bar prices and, considering the offerings, are often more than fair.
  12. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

You really should try Fruet. Just sayin.
    RDMII, FUNKPhD, doobliebop and 5 others like this.
  13. Lord Hobo is the best bar I've ever been to. I'm pretty sure they got those straight from the Bruery so I'm sure they've been cellared properly.
  14. Fruet Mmmmmmm so yummy.
    RDMII and FriarTuckInLuck like this.
  15. I'll look up the Fruet. Thanks.
    RDMII likes this.
  16. Fruet will be better than all of them if you can get it.
    fujindemon74 likes this.
  17. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

I had Cuir and BA Cuir last year..both awesome. Fruet blows them both away.
    Never had Papier or Coton
    But i'd pay $35 for any of them at a bar..
    FriarTuckInLuck likes this.
  18. Sadly, Cuir, Coton, and Papier will mostly be of rarity value at this point. The anniversary series will only be made in 100% BA versions from now on which will be far superior to the partially BA versions of the first three years. Also, the Solera method is finally taking hold. Fruet > all of the other versions; even the 100% BA ones. Bois (5th anniversary) and so forth will continue to get better and better (I think).
    FriarTuckInLuck likes this.
  19. vacax

vacax Advocate (620) California Jun 3, 2008

Yeah I don't even bother with the non-BA versions, so just spend your $30 on a Fruet.
    Rizalini likes this.
  20. Fujii13

Fujii13 Aficionado (240) New York Apr 27, 2011

The entire series just gets better with every year. I drank Cuir vs Fruet about 3 days apart and Fruet was hands down the better beer.
    fujindemon74 likes this.
  21. wyatt

wyatt Savant (290) Louisiana Nov 18, 2009

Fine internet. You got me. I'll open my Fruet this weekend.
    FUNKPhD, Rizalini, Fujii13 and 2 others like this.
  22. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

You won't go wrong with any of them. What are you doing the next three nights? Sounds like a great chance to try them all, especially at that price.
  23. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (550) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

You should ask the manager what entails aging it for 2 yrs outside of putting it in a dark and cool basement!?!? Then give him a big smirk and tell him to bite you!!!
  24. This man speaks the truth!
    luwak likes this.
  25. Never had papier but have a bottle that I believe is non BA. Think it's not aging well at all? Might have to crack this one open then.....
    Cheers!
    Drew
  26. In case anyone is confused, the "non-BA" versions are actually 25% BA blended with 75% non-ba.
    Rizalini likes this.
  27. Rizalini

Rizalini Savant (345) Nevada Jan 20, 2011

I say scissors over papier wins all day!
  28. I loved that bar when I visited last summer with my friends. Cambridge Brewing Co. was kick ass too. Great area.
  29. I wasn't a big fan of Cuir or Coton. Haven't had Papier but reviews would say go with it.
  30. Cuir is good, Fruet is great. I saw a ton of Fruet for 30 a bottle before I had tried it and thought it was too steep. Once I tried it, I was kicking myself for not buying a few.

Have not tried the other two.
    fujindemon74 likes this.
  31. Rosty

Rosty Aficionado (190) New York Nov 29, 2006

I had it on keg at the RS party last year in February and it tasted a lot like papier. Maybe that was the idea! Then I had it again from the bottle and a BA version around the end of the year RS party. Both tasted a lot better then the one I had. So it might have just been one keg that got oxidized. But you might want to think about a nice event soon and pop it.

32. I haven't heard this. On the RS site, it says this year's releases are:
    Bois
    Bois aged in rye whiskey barrels *
    bois aged in brandy barrels *
    bois aged in new american oak barrels #4 toast *

* = RS only
  33. Those are all 100% BA.
    doobliebop likes this.
  34. On the surface, it looks like all 3 beers are nearly identical recipes. Its only listed as one on that other site.
  35. ajzy

ajzy Savant (425) Wisconsin Jun 15, 2011

Irony?
    Squatchito likes this.
  36. mdfb79

mdfb79 Advocate (670) New York Jan 11, 2010

Just out of curiosity, where did you hear this?

It makes sense the 3 variations of Bois would be 100% BA'd, but how do you know the "normal" Bois that will 100% BA'd too?

Just wondering if I missed someone or you're just making an assumption because last year's "normal" version was 100% BA'd.
  37. QFT
  38. RDMII

RDMII Savant (285) Georgia Apr 11, 2010

I have the Coton, Cuir, and Fruet sitting in my cellar (I've had Fruet and love it), I've been wanting to wait until Bois but I think putting down all four in a night might kill me. And no, I'm not sharing these with anyone. I'm too selfish with Bruery stuff. :)

So if I found any of them at a bar, especially Papier, I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger. Having never even seen Papier I want to try it at least once. Online prices are typically double that so $30 is more than fair at a bar I think.
  39. peteinSD

peteinSD Savant (255) California Apr 25, 2010

skip the coton - yuck.