1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Bruery Hoarders Society

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by tbadiuk, Aug 22, 2012.

1. wat

black tuesday preorder: $25.50, retail: $30
    eclipse preorder: $24 (last year) / retail: $30 (last year)

similar price and futures structure. eclipse is the very definition of a gimmick and it clearly has a high profit margin - both criticisms you leveled at the bruery. i don't think you're prepared to argue this coherently.

the only significant difference is that you don't like the bruery. and yes, taste is subjective, but i don't think fiftyfifty is anywhere near quality. they've got one famous beer and they can't even get that to be consistent. plus, have you had concentrated evil? it tastes like its name.

2beerdogs, shufon, brystmar and 4 others like this.
  2. again man, i think your missing the point... I have a lot of these beers or elect to not have more (being the case with otiose) I got to taste white chocolate, liked it, bought more when they made it available. I love M3 and at least I know not to allocate too much of it as there's another on the way. But the thing is I'm not trying to collect, and one more of these beers I just got isn't helping that. Stoked on the 11 RS only releases. They sound good. Id personally rather nothing at signup and 3 of those with membership.

3. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Advocate (735) Colorado Jun 9, 2006

Lulz at people who buy Bruery beer let alone spend thousands of dollars. You guys are suckers.

sliverX, tewaris and PaulStoneAnchor like this.
  4. DrAwkward82

DrAwkward82 Savant (305) California Apr 16, 2005

This could potentially be worth the cost of certification right there though. If you had two identically qualified applicants, with the only different that one took the time to obtain Cicerone status, I'd imagine employers in the beer industry would go with the Cicerone, all things being equal. Especially since the restaurant/bar/brewery could then advertise to the public as having a "specially certified beer Cicerone" on staff.

afrokaze likes this.
  5. jp7161

jp7161 Savant (345) California Dec 22, 2011

Although I am not disagreeing with ou regarding the winery collabs, but I have heard that the coffee they are using in some of the coffee enhanced beers is close to $120.00 a pound.

6. And to further make Levitation's point, Bruery bottlings are 750ml. 50/50's are 22oz. That's like, 4 more ounces man!!!

2beerdogs and alfrantzell like this.
  7. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

$120 a pound!?!!?! Damn. Grapes are a lot cheaper than that.

8. DrAwkward82

DrAwkward82 Savant (305) California Apr 16, 2005

Yeah, but what about Johnny Mathis versus Diet Pepsi?

Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  9. Simply hitting like would not reveal how much I laughed. Still cracking up as I type this. Show me the funny!

2beerdogs and Levitation like this.
  10. drewone

drewone Champion (760) California Sep 18, 2006

Convenience is why I joined.

(overall I am pretty neutral on the whole thing - but I'm not going to lie that I feel a little hurt for not being invited:(

11. drewone

drewone Champion (760) California Sep 18, 2006

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centurion_Card

check out the fee on this

12. Corbet

Corbet Savant (350) Michigan Nov 7, 2010

Thanks for taking the team to respond to this thread but I think what many people, including myself, are wondering what the requirements were to get into the Hoarders Society exactly?

13. CenCalMario

CenCalMario Savant (300) California Jan 12, 2009

Probably would've went with "The Cellar Society" or something instead of Hoarders Society... When I hear Hoarders it makes me think of the tv show and all the horrid rat and bug infested homes with stockpiled junk.

shufon, brystmar, 2beerdogs and 3 others like this.
  14. Man I was supposed to have a bottle share for the opening weekend of football & UFC 151, planned on opening lots of Bruery stuff . . . thanks Jon Jones, you jerk.

Maybe I'll just try and schedule some poker that night instead.

15. "I don't care to belong to any club that will have me as a member."-Groucho Marx

16. huadog

huadog Savant (350) California May 13, 2009

Jon Jones is not to blame

17. futura123

futura123 Savant (340) California Jul 29, 2010

Bruery (n): where you pay several thousand dollars to be called "Hoarder".

18. Now i know you aren't going to badmouth the hometown hero. Many bottles are opened at my house every time Jon fights.

19. SteelersX

SteelersX Savant (465) New York Jan 30, 2011

Just go back and listen to Craft beer radios archive from last years savor salon and hear how they decided to price their beers and you will see how business savvy these guys are.

Corky makes more sense than these guys.

20. Xul

Xul Advocate (530) California May 18, 2008

For anyone else who might be wondering, I received a response to the above questions, after sending it to them this morning:

Not a direct answer to question #1, but I guess they probably don't want to commit to that sort of thing without knowing yields from barrels and other variables.

Callmecoon likes this.
  21. The only gripe I do have is that I wish those 4 BTs were spread out to other beers a bit, like the Bois variations. I am happy with 2 BTs up front, but the Brandy and New American Oak Bois, rather than the 2 extra BTs, would be nice to have.

Yes, I realize how ridiculous this "gripe" is.

22. I think you hit the nail on the head when you specifically target "beer collectors" as part of your plan. I am sure that a lot of brewpubs are aware of the fact that their beer gets traded and I am sure that there is at least some element of the same who really wish that their beer was not traded due to issues that might ultimately result in said beer not being the presentation that the brewer wanted when it shows up at the final trade partner. For ex., the good folks at Tired Hands know what is going on with their beer but have told me that they wished that certain beers like certain IPA's, etc. were consumed immediately and not traded via growler.

I am sure that you are laughing all the way to the bank, but the trading bubble and limited edition frenzy may not last forever. At that point in time, shudder to think that one of the very markets that you seek to maximize, the beer collectors, will be faced with just one lousy prospect, namely having to drink said beer.

23. mrkrispy

mrkrispy Savant (410) California Apr 5, 2006

The fact PMR had to even put up an apology for the name and the HS details speaks volumes of the entitled bitchiness rampant on BA. Pretty pathetic.

24. Welcome to the internet.

Kuemmelbrau likes this.
  25. tewaris

tewaris Advocate (595) Minnesota Jul 14, 2009

Or he could have ignored it?

26. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (860) California Jan 31, 2005

I got one. I've been RS for all 3 years. I've spent a few thousand (I choose not to know the exact number:(). But, I must say, although some interesting offerings in the pkg, I ain't buying.

27. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

I'm encouraged by the number of people saying that they're passing, maybe by some stroke of luck those of us who want in will be able to get it.

EDIT: Patrick, I know you're reading this thread now. Show a fan some love! [/desperate-ploy]

brystmar, 2beerdogs and jp7161 like this.
  28. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (860) California Jan 31, 2005

Actually, it's just like Patrick said, "Overall, I believe it to be a great value, even though the initial price is difficult to swallow." So I am one who can't do it. If I had a shitload of scratch I probably would, but I don't, so I won't.

As for the name, I thought it's kinda funny, yes I'm laughing at myself (staring at my Millenium Edition Old Rasputin). But I don't get those of you who are butthurt by the name.

lflesh and stupac2 like this.
  29. oddapt

oddapt Aficionado (105) California Aug 21, 2010

I'm also amused by the name! I think almost all of us are beer hoarders if we are being honest with ourselves!

lflesh likes this.
  30. I am not an RS member (but am tempted to jump in for 2013), but the HS sounds like a great idea. If you already plunk down the heavy change every year, they just gave you a bigger discount. And when you are in those upper echelons any ways (sounding like $1000+ a year, which I cannot fathom), you are not the kind of beer drinker that gets upset a few so-so beers. You are here for the long haul, to experience the whole ride. If I could put my money in the stock market, or in a brewery reserve program, its a no-brainer to go with the latter. Your ROI will be much more enjoyable :)

Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  31. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

That's okay. His apology means about as much as the people complaining.

flexabull and libbey like this.
  32. If there's a person (persons?) that are local to the Bruery and are interested in joining the Hoarders Society but didn't get an invite, send me a message. I have one, but don't plan on throwing down the $700+ to join.

33. Brewzer1010

Brewzer1010 Savant (255) California Feb 17, 2010

Nope. The HS is invitation only. It's not even close to the same thing. However it doesn't really matter, at the end of the day I think we are both on the same page about the HS (its's not a bad thing), so maybe we just agree to disagree.

34. Lots of people not wanting to join, but it seems like it is very tailored for the dedicated collector or the avid Bruery enthusiast who might want to split. Twice the Allocations, 2 of each rarer offerings. If they offered 2 membership cards, I think this would be a pretty set thing for most BAs.

I'm not out yet, talking to a couple friends about splitting and making it work, but it definately didn't help getting a letter that tells my wife not only have I spent lots of money on your beers, but I also happen to be one of your 'Top Customers' :)

@PMR - Ecommerce solutions come in all shapes and sizes. Not sure if 3dCart really a good solution for a company that does 1/2 mil in eCommerce in just membership... let alone the 1-3mil much larger amounts of transactions for allocations. You are missing a huge opportunity for more modern EC practices that would allow you to make 'Group' sales, provide specific incentives, and also offer timed / limited releases, even daily random releases. *mondotees.com does random timed releases and they're on 3dcart too, but it seems to be a very manual process*. Putting more into your eCommerce would definately enhance your retail experience for your already engaged 1400 members that are nationwide. If you need a pointer...look @ Magento.

35. I maxed out all allocations this year, except for Stein's Throw and Oude Tart... and still didn't get an invite. I even bought a good amount of extra Filmishmish and White Chocolate. I'm pretty bummed about this, as I have been a huge supporter of The Bruery since I got into craft beer a few years ago, and would have easily dropped $700 to join. :(

Beerontwowheels likes this.
  36. Sir, you have nailed it on the head, but you are looking at it from a happiness perspective. Many on this thread are crunching numbers on bottle counts and such just to see how rare the beers will be before they bite. If you spent the $300 on a RS membership last year, but then spent another $400 on beer (you all did), try out the HS if you can, and make the conscious decision to spend $400 less in allocations for the year. You will have spent the same amount over the year, have a few rarer beers to show for it, and can opt back to the RS the next year if you didn't think it was worth it. Peace.

2beerdogs and ehammond1 like this.
  37. Hoarder (n): what people who spend thousands (plural) of dollars on beer get called, regardless of where they purchase it.

38. Do you think you get the same stuff available to Rush Limbaugh at Ruth's Chris? Or does he get special treatment? You wouldn't think you're entitled to be paid the same amount for endorsing the place like he does right?

Bottom line:
    Some people get preferential treatment in life.

39. And I generally have no problem with it whatsoever. Preferential treatment is most often earned.

40. brystmar

brystmar Initiate (0) Texas Sep 2, 2009

Or, in this case, purchased. ;)

Retail1LO likes this.