1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

bruery initiation tickets

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by crusian, Jan 29, 2013.

1. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (585) California Oct 17, 2010

haha, me too. im probably not going. wonder what beers they are

from their website

We will be holding this year's Reserve Society Initiation Celebration on February 23, 2013 12-4pm at The Phoenix Club in Anaheim, CA. Each Reserve Society member is able to purchase up to 2 tickets. Hoarders Society members may purchase up to 4 tickets. The price of admission is $50. Admission gets you 10 pours of Bruery beer, a Hoarders or Reserve society branded glass, and food from the Haven Collective. Tickets are non-refundable and non-transferrable. Members may purchase a ticket for a guest. However since this is a Reserve/Hoarders Society exclusive event, the purchasing society member must be present with their group to enter (sorry, if you are an out state member NOT planning on attending yourself, you may not purchase the ticket for a friend who lives close-by.) As a special treat to our Hoarders Society, there will be a private hall for members to enjoy a few more limited beers at the event (5-10 total). No additional taster-tickets will be available at the event. All attendees must be 21 years of age or older. Stay tuned for updates to the list!

5-10 total huh? let the speculation begin
    Callmecoon likes this.
  2. mattolesh

mattolesh Savant (270) California Sep 30, 2007

Hey guys,

We decided to host everyone in one session this year.

There will be a separate closed off hoarders area with anywhere from 5-10 exclusive beers.

In adjusting to the new website (and my first time ever posting an item online) we decided to wait a little bit before sending the email, sorry if anyone felt left out... I think we're all on the same page now!

Cheers,
    Matt
  3. Yes. Temptress Stout from Lakewood!
  4. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

It was more expensive last year.

Even though my fiancee is not a huge beer drinker, I got her a full-price ticket so I can use her tasters from it.
    UCLABrewN84 and KevSal like this.
  5. Matt,

About the HS tasters- Will those count towards our 10 tasters or will they be in addition to them?
  6. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

Sure, send me a bm, and I'll be happy to bring for you.

So, I guess I'll start now... would have joined the HS if i was invited, been a member for a few years and this is my first event... coming out for this event...good to know loyalty means I cant have access to 5-10 of the beers... so anyone willing to share those I'm interested in from the special VIP area, I'd be greatful, wtf. Like above... bring you some stuff from Texas.
    bkratz likes this.
  7. mattolesh

mattolesh Savant (270) California Sep 30, 2007

Those will come from your 10 tasters. One may choose to spend all their taster tickets in the HS area or in the rest of the fest... they spend the same way in either area.
  8. cocoapuph

cocoapuph Savant (380) California Mar 4, 2011

Yeah we went last year and I didn't feel like the DD ticket was worth it. Most likely skipping this year to save the money for extra allocation bottles
  9. Pecan

Pecan Savant (410) California Dec 20, 2012

I have to say, I feel like my RS membership is diminished when I get segregated and limited to not-as-exclusive beers when compared to HS. Extra allocation, extra pours, extra tickets, and HS branded merch seem like a good, fair direction to head. It comes across like RS members are now just considered mediocre second-class citizens. It wouldn't be as bad were they separate events, but to wave 5-10 exclusive beers in front of me that I can't have at a party to celebrate me paying to join a club? I'm not even mad, just extremely disappointed and questioning my membership purchase. Maybe that will change as things move on and I get to experience more of the RS, but as a first taste, this one is bitter (and not in that good hoppy way).

I'll still have a good time at the event and I'm sure I'll still enjoy the beers I am allowed to sample, but I'm disappointed. The special membership just doesn't seem as special anymore.
    kmatlack likes this.
  10. crusian

Completely agree. Now be a member for a few years and get excited to come to your first event ever... and find this out after you buy the tickets...
    kmatlack and Pecan like this.
  11. Alas, the mighty struggle between the hoarders and peasantry that Karl Marx predicted so long ago is coming to fruition. Hoarders, sleep soundly and get some rest, your 'special' drinking area will receive the envy, resentment and inevitably, revolution that it deserves.
  12. djaeon

djaeon Advocate (725) California Oct 2, 2006

Hoarders Society was, what, $600-$700? They deserve to get those extra perks for paying that much. This is my first year as RS, and I'm already happy with what we get. As far as membership levels go, no matter what organization you look at, the more you pay, the more you get.
  13. Do the hoarders guests get to come in the "HS" area as well?
  14. Pecan

I agree that they deserve extra perks, but my point was that this specific perk directly diminishes the value I associate with a RS membership to a large degree, enough to take me from "SO GLAD I JOINED THIS!" to "Hmm, I wonder if this was really worth the money..." I am honestly happy for you that it doesn't take away from your thoughts about the RS. Hell, I wish I were right there with you in that mindset.

The problem with the money thing is that, had I the option for the $700 membership, I probably would have done it. And even if I had passed it up, I'd feel less slighted now. I didn't have that option though and I believe the disparity of club benefits has a negative impact on the RS, the option I did have.

Ouch :/
  15. crusian

I'm with you... I think this is going to be my last year. I would have gone hoaders too.
  16. Well... That is dissappointing. To say the least. That's all I will say on a public forum.
  17. Separate Hoarders section? Phew, I don't have to mingle with the proles. #tophatsaway
    lymph and domtronzero like this.
  18. crusian

Lol... I'll probably be the tallest guy there, come find me and hook me up.
  19. Only if you know the secret handshake.
    domtronzero likes this.
  20. crusian

My hand will have a bourbon county in it, that's the secret, yes?
    Whatsarezaf likes this.
  21. djaeon

djaeon Advocate (725) California Oct 2, 2006

That's a good point. I forgot for a minute about the fact that HS wasn't offered to everybody.
  22. crusian

That's how I feel. Would have done it. But apparently not good enough, so... feel slighted. Now that I am not allowed to have access to some things, feel kinda mad.
  23. If it makes you feel better, it sounds like Hoarders will not have access to certain things either just because of the taster ticket limit.
  24. crusian

Lol, thanks. I bought my DD a full ticket just because of that... oh wait, I can't try everything this year... and learned that after I bought my tickets... :(
  25. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

Happened to me last year. DD ticket was even more expensive, and they didn't tell anyone before the event that there was a taster limit and they weren't selling extra tickets.

Whoever is running The Bruery's special events has a lot to learn. I've been to better executed events at elementary schools.
    rrryanc likes this.
  26. DD should be free.... DD should always be free!
    kmatlack and cocoapuph like this.
  27. crusian

Yeah, I did my homework, that's why I bought my DD a full. Then found out...
  28. Pecan

Actually, it only makes me feel worse! Despite my own disappointment, I would still like the HS members to have a fantastic time.
  29. rrryanc

rrryanc Savant (375) California May 19, 2006

This is such a true statement. And to be fair, they are getting better (at least this event isn't on a weekday...) - but it's happening so damn slowly. It still feels largely scattered and unplanned.
  30. domtronzero

domtronzero Initiate (0) California Aug 18, 2007

Mwaaaaaahahahahahaha!!!!

If you thought you'd be treated in the same vein as HS members then you are absolutely delusional. i expect there to be a line of RS members, backs hunched over, with downward-stretched, cross-fingered palms pointing upward that I may walk upon as I make my way to the exlusive Hoarder's area so that I don't get my custom HS-issued AirForce Ones dirty on my way. You can all look upon us with scowled, unapproving faces as we sip one-off collabs and barrel aged walez up in this bitch. It's cool, we get it. We just don't want to drink the tawdry pours of shelf beers being offered on your side of the velvet rope.

See y'all there!!
    jp7161, evilc and Pecan like this.
  31. cselby

cselby Aficionado (135) California Sep 14, 2012

Very excited for the event, not excited that I just dropped most of my available funds on grad school applications today before receiving the email. I know it was asked earlier, but will tickets sell out if I wait a few days to buy them? I can't find an event cap as far as attendees go. This is my first year as a RS member, so this is my first event ever. I would hate to miss it.

Edit: I guess I could call tomorrow to ask, but I'm worried about it tonight.
  32. Pecan

ISO
    KevSal and domtronzero like this.
  33. crusian

I have a bad feeling that selling out is not going to happen... it is going to be packed...
  34. cselby

cselby Aficionado (135) California Sep 14, 2012

Haha, a bit of a good and a bad thing. Thanks!
  35. The complaints about RS vs HS are ridiculous. You all knew there was an HS before you joined the RS, and it was clear that the HS would get extra benefits. This is one of them. I am sure there will be more, since it was made clear before.

The RS is still an awesome, awesome club and no one is getting slighted out of anything that joined the RS, but, as as been stated and, I think, understood those that joined the RS, HS will get some perk here and there over RS based on initial investment.
    thetastywort and nanobrew like this.
  36. Waldomega

Waldomega Aficionado (105) Nevada Jan 15, 2013

they really are. its like going to a club and being pissed off because you dont get the same perks as the people sitting in the vip area get. they spent several thousand (probably into the 5 figures if they have been there for a few years) more than most did, so they can get a max of 10, and possibly only 5, tasters of special brews in a different part of the venue. this is really what pisses people off? you gotta be kidding me
  37. Thus far they are pretty ridiculous. However, if beers that previously went to RS members during events (i.e. chocolate rain, melange 1, BA 2TD, etc.) are going to be diverted away into the "special" VIP area for horders and their 3 guests, then the indignation will be valid. The concept was "extra benefits", not "benefits that used to go to RS members that will now be diverted to HS members". Or, if allocations of beers like CR and BT are reduced from last year in order to support the doubled allocations of HS members, that would also be bullshit.

Time will tell. Patrick has historically been really good about making sure we can spend more of our money than we can actually afford on his beers, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until reality proves otherwise.
    drewone and extra like this.
  38. Pecan

Actually, they aren't ridiculous. The issue isn't that HS gets extra benefits, the issue is the magnitude of those benefits and how certain benefits could function to diminish the RS experience.

RS may turn out to be awesome, but as someone who just moved to Cali and hasn't experienced any of the membership so far, the initiation is my first event. And segregating me and restricting my access to 5-10 exclusive beers during that event immediately makes me question the value in a RS membership.

In previous posts, I definitely expressed that I thought there were perks HS members should get. And just to reiterate, I do hope HS members enjoy the evening. Regardless though, I think the HS-only hall and HS-only beers being held at the same event are too much and it takes away from how special the RS membership seems. Bottom line, it WILL make people feel insulted at an event intended to celebrate membership.
  39. Waldomega

Waldomega Aficionado (105) Nevada Jan 15, 2013

if, and its a big if, that happens then people will actually have somewhat of a bone to pick with the whole process. whining about missing out on tasting a few beers at a party is ridiculous, however
  40. RedBeeron

RedBeeron Savant (250) California Jul 7, 2012

I'd be more worried about the fact that they aren't splitting the initiation party into two+ sessions. Last year was awesome, and the only complaints I've heard were a) lack of a vegetarian food option and b) not enough tasting tickets.

Year before was one giant clusterfuck and people werent able to use all of their tickets.

That being said of any of those HS assholes get their hands on what should have been my melange #1, there will be hell to pay
    Whatsarezaf likes this.