1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bruery Perservation Society

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by nicks6217, Aug 28, 2012.

1. nicks6217

nicks6217 Savant (320) California Jan 15, 2010

Preservation Society
    Starting on January 2, 2013, we'll be accepting memberships into the Preservation Society. This is the perfect membership for those who want to be guaranteed a bottle of our more limited releases, and the convenience of shipment to your doorstep within California. It also makes a great gift for an aspiring beer afficianado.
    This membership is billed quarterly and includes 3 of our limited release bottles per quarter, but will not include any of the 'exclusive' beers listed above. The cost per quarter varies on the beers included in the membership, but generally it'll be in the $50-60 range. Members receive a 10% discount on every quarterly release, and have access to purchasing additional bottles of some releases through our website, Provisions and the Tasting Room, however, the 10% discount applies only on the quarterly shipments and does not include additional beer purchased through the website, Tasting Room or Provisions.
    Members may join or cancel throughout the year, however there will be a limit to the number of members we can accept. Members will also have priority in joining the 2014 Reserve Society. We'll be releasing more details as we get closer to the new year.
    We hope you continue to enjoy your 2012 membership and that we'll have you along as we continue to brew and grow in 2013!
    Cheers,
    Your Friends at The Bruery
  2. Retsinis

Retsinis Advocate (520) California Sep 25, 2009

Well, guess this is the 3rd tier mentioned. Interesting enough, this 3 tier system sounds like a long term business plan model to me. I know in the years since the RS inception, some have debated if the society would at some point end (like the Saint's & Sinners Club did) once it's usefullness was over. This seems, imo anyway, like this system will be in place for the foreseable future, as each tier has a little bit of something to offer for several different types of customers. In a way the fourth tier are the baseline, walk in/retail customers. Smart business so far imo.
    jglowe77 likes this.
  3. This is to be distinguished from the Bruery Perseveration Society (a.k.a. the people who can't stop posting the same screeds over and over in the Hoarders' thread :cool:).
    EasyReader and Retsinis like this.
  4. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

I can stop any time I want!
  5. GRG1313

GRG1313 Champion (770) California Jan 15, 2009

Looks to me like Patrick, yet again, is the quintessential diplomat. He's gone out of his way to find something for everyone, while maintaining a smart business model for his brewery. I say good for him. We, as consumers, can find a place within which we fit if we want Bruery bottles, from the Hoarders to the consumer who only purchases bottles off a store's shelf. No one has a gun to any of our heads - we get to choose and Patrick has given us a lot of choices. Good for him.

6. yup
  7. Dammit, I think I need to join this.
  8. SageO

SageO Savant (350) California Jul 13, 2010

Is this being offered only to RS members at the moment? Seems like the perfect non-RS offer, but I can’t find it on their FB page, blog, etc.
  9. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

It's being offered to no one at the moment, since sales don't start until January.
  10. Retsinis

Agreed.

The quarterly idea is brilliant imo too. That way for those that don't like it, they can get out & not be locked in for a year, and those that do, can keep going each quarter. Also the
    has the built in incentive to bump up to the RS, filling any that may not renew the following year or are invited to the HS, & opening some new slots for new PS memembers the following year as well.
  11. abecall98

abecall98 Advocate (530) California Aug 11, 2007

Well, definitely going to get in on this. Sounds like something my friends and I can all get. Still want to try to get into the RS first though, going to split a membership with a buddy, and knowing that they are now going to ship within Cali is a huge plus.

Bravo Bruery, keep it up.
    KevSal likes this.
  12. Mute98

Mute98 Disciple (70) California Sep 11, 2009

This is something perfect for me. Cant afford reserve society as a student on loans, and I like how its not a long-term commitment (in case if funding gets tight)

I really like the 3-tier thing personally. Gives incentives to those who want it and im sure from a business-perspective its profitable
  13. Swervine44

Swervine44 Savant (255) California Mar 24, 2011

What were the "'exclusive' beers listed above" referring to? Just trying to get an idea of what kind of beers to expect in the membership. Either way this looks pretty cool, thanks for posting.
  14. Retsinis

Anticipated Releases for 2013**:

-- Sour in the Rye
    -- Chocolate Rain*
    -- White Oak
    -- Sans Pagaie
    -- Bois
    -- Bois Aged in Rye Whiskey Barrels*
    -- Bois Aged in Brandy Barrels*
    -- Bois Aged in new American Oak Barrels #4 Toast*
    -- Kumquat Sour In The Rye*
    -- Barrel Aged English Barleywine with Portola Coffee* (Name pending)
    -- Blueberry Sour* (Name pending)
    -- Mystery Beer #1
    -- Mystery Beer #2
    -- Tart of Darkness
    -- White Chocolate
    -- Barrel Aged Apricot Strong Ale* (Name pending)
    -- Bourbon Barrel Aged Smoking Wood
    -- Cherry Oude Tart*
    -- Oude Tart
    -- Black Tuesday
    -- Grey Monday*
    -- Melange #1
    -- Bourbon Barrel Aged Autumn Maple
    -- Melange #3
    -- Rueuze
    -- Barrel Aged 5 Golden Rings*
    -- Smoking Wood - Rye Barrel Aged
    -- Approximately 8 very exciting Provisions Series releases

* = Exclusive (Reserve & Hoarders Society Only, not included in Preservation Society membership or to general release)
    ** = Subject to change
  15. Do they have the breakout of each tier somewhere on their website?
  16. Swervine44

Swervine44 Savant (255) California Mar 24, 2011

Awesome, thank you. Still some interesting stuff on the non-exclusive list that I can't find in stores.
  17. Is this a Kinks reference?
    luwak, Tieman and MaxSpang like this.
  18. So any link on how to sign up for this? I didn't get a RS membership but an curious about this 3rd tier
  19. I think they are still hammering out all the details, since some things have changed since the initial press release.

For instance, the page for the reserve society was updated, changing the single asterix beers to read this:
  20. I just checked the site. It's $54/quarter for 3 beers that'll be publicly released. Given the mark up on Bruery stuff here, it's worth it. Sign up is January 21st. May not have all the perks of RS. But a BA Sour, a BA Strong Ale and a mystery beer every quarter is a bargain for me.
  21. robL

robL Aficionado (240) California Oct 22, 2010

The thing I'm still not 100% clear on is are these Preservation beers ones that are going to be publicly released or publicly distributed. Because although I'm only an hour away from The Bruery, there's a world of difference in paying $54 for 3 beers that I could get at my local WF vs ones that I can only get at the Provisions Store.
  22. I'm in the Bay Area, so publicly released or publicly distributed, it's still a bargain for me. I'm paying $20+ on almost all Bruery bottles with the exception of Autumn Maple, 5 Golden Rings. Everything else is $20+ at my shop nearby. Anything barrel aged is $25 easily. Reuze for example is $30 I believe at the shop. So it seems like a bargain to me
  23. CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy Savant (255) New York Dec 12, 2010

Anyone got the on sale time?
  24. I don't have the time, however signups will open up when the new webstore goes online.
  25. which is supposedly today
  26. salzar

salzar Initiate (0) California Dec 27, 2008

From today's email it will be Wednesday
  27. What did the email say?
  28. APreacher

APreacher Savant (260) California Jun 6, 2012

ecommerce (beta) goes live on wed. :dancing banana:..oh and provisions closed.;)
  29. SHODriver

SHODriver Savant (420) Louisiana Aug 13, 2010

I might have to bite the bullet on this one... but over the course of the year it's 216 and reserve society is only an extra 80 bucks on top of that. although the quarterly charge is a nice touch
  30. Is there a list of what beers are available in this? I would like to see what is available before I buy it, although I think I'm gonna probably end up doing it regardless just for the sours
  31. They dropped a little flyer for this in the 3 beer gift set they had available from the Provisions store over the holidays. Trying to find the one that came with mine but no luck so far. I remember looking at it and thinking it was a pretty good deal, every quarter was two of their "bigger" beers ($~25+) and a third one for $54 total. Followed a Sour + a Strong ale + a third structure for the beers every quarter, there was a style for the third but its slipping my mind. I know I saw Black Tuesday, Chocolate Rain, White Chocolate, Sour in the Rye with Kumquats, and that coffee barley wine they're making on the list but in separate quarters. If I remember correctly, the 4th quarter was almost all mystery beers. Going to keep looking for the flyer for a more exact list.
  32. domtronzero

domtronzero Initiate (0) California Aug 18, 2007

I'm pretty sure it's too late to join RS. I think you're stuck with Perservation for the rest of this year.
  33. The webstore is currently offline at the moment, so if everything goes according to plan(which may or may not happen), the new store and signups will be online tomorrow.
  34. Here's the beer listing by quarter from the flyer I had;

1st:e Quarter: Sans Pagaie, Imperial Loakal Red, Chocolate Rain
    2nd: Quarter: Kumquat Sour in the Rye, Mystery Provisions Ale, BA Coffee Barley Wine
    3rd: Cherry Oude Tart, Weizenbauch, White Chocolate
    4th: Mystery collaboration, mystery sour, 2013 Black Tuesday

[​IMG]
    PKPUNCH, afrokaze, sirtomtom and 3 others like this.
  35. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (585) California Oct 17, 2010

holy crap are reserve members getting those beers as well? imperial loakal red, i love the regular stuff! cherry oude tart, ba coffee barleywine, damn that list is looking pretty good, and pretty damn close to the RS beers

any speculation or rumors on the 2 mystery beers?
  36. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

Crap. Now I might need to be in. They had me at Chocolate Ryan and Kumquat Sour.
  37. I wasn't going to do this, and I thought I waasn't going to think twice... well think twice I did. I am definitely signing up as soon as I can.
  38. Yeah I'm in. Hopefully I can sign up Friday still. I'm definitely in.

Chocolate Rain
    Kumquat Sour In The Rye
    White Chocolate
    Black Tuesday
    Cherry Oude Tart

Hopefully they allow multiples of Chocolate Rain, Sour In the Rye and Black Tuesday
  39. I hope one of them is the Blueberry Sour that was mentioned for RS members. Then the other 2 I have no idea
  40. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (435) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

I'm looking for a trustee, would just need somebody to ship the three bottles once per quarter. I'll send you some tasty beers in return, BM me