1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bruery Perservation Society

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by nicks6217, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Wonder if you will have to be a member all year or just be able to join every three months or so?
  2. It is a quarterly offering, so you can opt out if you would like. It helps if you are unable to opt in completely like a reserve member.... plus it saves you a few bucks
  3. I can see the mayhem that will happen when everyone tries to sign up for the fourth quarter to get black tuesday.
  4. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (435) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

Think I'm all set on this.
  5. Probably just means less for the mass release sale and you're attached to getting two other beers. The Collab would have probably been around $13-8 in terms of pricing. The sour would have been $15 or so to RS anyway. So that's them making a few extra bucks by sticking you with two extra beers that will now for sure sell out, opposed to take up storage space.
  6. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

Sans Pagaie
    Imperial Loakal Red
    Chocolate Rain
    Cherry Oude Tart
    Weizzenbauch
    WC
    Kumquat SITR
    Mystery
    BA Coffee BW
    Mystery Collab
    Mystery Sour
    2013 BT

I thought they said these bold ones were for only Hoarders and RS members?
  7. at the last minute they changed it to all three

We anticipate the following beers to be released to the Reserve Society in 2013**:

-- Sour in the Rye
    -- Chocolate Rain*
    -- White Oak
    -- Sans Pagaie
    -- Bois
    -- Bois Aged in Rye Whiskey Barrels*
    -- Bois Aged in Brandy Barrels*
    -- Bois Aged in new American Oak Barrels #4 Toast*
    -- Kumquat Sour In The Rye*
    -- Barrel Aged English Barleywine with Portola Coffee* (Name pending)
    -- Blueberry Sour* (Name pending)
    -- Mystery Beer #1*
    -- Mystery Beer #2*
    -- Tart of Darkness
    -- White Chocolate
    -- Barrel Aged Apricot Strong Ale* (Name pending)
    -- Bourbon Barrel Aged Smoking Wood
    -- Cherry Oude Tart*
    -- Oude Tart
    -- Black Tuesday
    -- Grey Monday*
    -- Melange #1
    -- Bourbon Barrel Aged Autumn Maple
    -- Melange #3
    -- Rueuze
    -- Barrel Aged 5 Golden Rings*
    -- Smoking Wood - Rye Barrel Aged
    -- Approximately 8 very exciting Provisions Series releases
    * = Exclusive (Hoarders, Reserve and Preservation Society Members Only)
  8. seems as though only the blueberry sour, apricot strong ale, variations of the anniversary and grey monday are exclusive to HS and RS
  9. nanobrew

the blueberry sour may be the mystery sour, but maybe not since they do list 2 mystery beers
  10. nanobrew

I am curious if Preservation members will be able to buy more of the "exclusive" beers (CR, KSitR, COT, BA Coffee BW) just like the RS members & Hoarders
  11. Xul

Xul Advocate (525) California May 18, 2008

The original email with RS details for 2013 indicated that (I checked back through my email), however they updated their website at some point to reflect those beers being available in all three societies. On one hand, I don't really care if other people can buy it if they're making plenty...on the other hand, if RS allocations are smaller because the PS has access to it, that will be rather annoying.
  12. nanobrew

that is the same as I feel.

Plus I ignored the PS membership right off the bat, however, it definitely sounds way more appealing now, especially if you can order more of those beers. I am guessing I still would have ended up with the RS over the PS, but it does change the value of PS and RS
  13. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (365) California Mar 13, 2009

Glad I didn't renew my RS, but seriously thinking about the PS now
    nanobrew likes this.
  14. I hope so. Especially KSitR and CR. but even getting multiples of White Chocolate, Black Tuesday, Sans Pagaie and Cherry Oude Tart will have me happy. But opps to get multiples of "exclusive" beers will be the icing on the cake
  15. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

Pretty sure PS membership only gets you the above 12 beers and nothing more. That could change, though. All the best beers in the lineup but Black Tuesday weren't in the original PS lineup.
  16. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

Yeah, that's where I am. It's really nice that they've made the PS an attractive option, but I want my goddamn case of Black Tuesday and if this means I can't get it then I'm going to RAGE!!!
    The initial thing says that PS can buy more, but it doesn't say of what. I have to say that if you can get reasonable extra amounts of BT, CR, and those other it'd really obsolete the RS. Seems like shooting themselves in the foot, there.
    nanobrew likes this.
  17. Waldomega

Waldomega Aficionado (105) Nevada Jan 15, 2013

The blueberry sour is listed seperate from the "mystery" beers, at least on that RS listing
  18. nanobrew

I understand why that would be great for PS members, but that would screw over the RS and HS members. Hopefully if PS can order more it is either left overs or a lower amount.
  19. Xul

Precisely...I don't blame the Bruery for wanting to do multiple tiers of societies, that's actually a reasonable idea, but changing the relative value of them AFTER people have ponied up prepayments isn't an optimal move.
    Johnnyramirez and nanobrew like this.
  20. nanobrew

from the PS release info:

Members receive a 10% discount on every quarterly release, and have access to purchasing additional bottles of some releases through our website, Provisions and the Tasting Room, however, the 10% discount applies only on the quarterly shipments and does not include additional beer purchased through the website, Tasting Room or Provisions.
    drgarage likes this.
  21. Where does it say you can buy more? The 10% off part? And if there are extras available you gotta assume RS will get more. (I.e. HS gets 12 CR, RS gets 6, PS gets 3)
  22. Xul

Maybe they ultimately want to end up with only two societies - Hoarders and Preservation. Or maybe they're realizing they didn't have a fully fleshed out plan for the Preservation society and aren't entirely conscious of how changes to the PS will be perceived by RS members. I'll be very curious to see what's announced for the Preservation Society and how it impacts allocations for the Reserve Society.
  23. I wouldn't expect PS to be able to order the same as RS.
  24. I kind of already know the answer to this, but I am second guessing myself. Would payment per beer be needed for each of the 3 beers per quarter with a deposit up front, or is the complete $54 due up front? It isn't a big amount so I don't care... primarily just asking out of curiosity to see how they set this up... or if anything has any idea how they set it up internally.
  25. I'm pretty sure it's $54 up front. What I'm not sure of is if you get 1 beer each month or you get all 3 beers at the end of the quarter?
  26. nanobrew

It would be nice to see all the info (and without changes). Your example above (I.e. HS gets 12 CR, RS gets 6, PS gets 3) is fine, but what about something like CR or COT that could be HS 4, RS 2, PS 1. That seems more realistic as CR has never been as high as your example. If that is the case, I might join the PS for a few months just to get extra CR, COT, KSitR and pass on ordering the others through RS knowing I will get them in PS.... that seemed confusing to write out
    Johnnyramirez likes this.
  27. I know CR has never been that high, I just used arbitrary numbers to allow PS multiples. But you're right, we need to see the info without changes. Getting the opportunity to get 2 CR would be nice, but not necessary. However opps to get at least some multiples of say Black Tuesday and others which get public releases would be nice.
  28. My undestanding is that $54 gets you a set of the three beers per quarter. Which really does make sense value wise. There's one special release which would normally run $30 (27 or so for RS/HS members), the other two range between the 10-20 (8-15 for RS/HS discount) range. So it does land at the same $54 give or take amount for the beers and secures that the two other beers sell through.

Sort of like the columbia house cd club. sticking you with the less desirable disc in order to get the ones you want.

I'm glad I didn't renew my RS this year. I was regretting it right after the deadline, and I'm sure in each package they won't allow multiples of Chocolate Rain, White Chocolate or Black Tuesday. But considering how many times they re-offered some of last year's RS exclusive bottles, I'm not surprised that they'd want to move them out with this third tier program.

sirtomtom likes this.
  29. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

Well, it doesn't necessarily screw over RS/HS members since we were never promised anything specific about allocations. Would I prefer having more pie? Yeah, but I'm not going to say I got screwed over if I get enough pie, but maybe could've also gotten some other dude's.
    Yeah, it says you can buy more something, but not what you can buy more of. I quoted it above.

For the record, I doubt PS gets more than one bottle of anything that RS/HS members would be annoyed about them getting more than one bottle of. Maybe BT, but I very much doubt CR.
  30. nanobrew

The main thing is the lack of info (bottle counts mainly). I agree with BT, since that is released publicly, I think PS should get an easier crack a multiples. With high bottle count numbers of SitR and OT I can see the fruited versions having large releases... but then again BT has had large numbers while CR has been fairly low. Overall time will tell, and I will still have access to great beer... I just might want MOAR
  31. Waldomega

Waldomega Aficionado (105) Nevada Jan 15, 2013

It's my first year as an RS member this year. RS didn't get more than one CR last year?
  32. Xul

1 included/2 available for purchase = total of 3 bottles.
  33. nanobrew

Agree on all fronts. I am just curious about the details. Like I said, if I could buy multiples of CR in PS, I would join for at least the first quarter.

Correct, we are no matter what not "screwed" out of anything, except for at the beginning we were thinking we would have split memberships between only HS and RS, now with PS that means a) less allocations, and b) a different option for getting CR, etc.

But I agree that most likely PS will not get to buy more of the very special releases, unless they make a whole bunch.

question: can I exchange my bottle of Otiose for a bottle of Sans Pagaie? ;)
  34. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (585) California Oct 17, 2010

according to this grey monday is avialable to preservation sociate? dammit its one of the main reasons i joined RS this year
  35. At some point, it seems, PS members would have to pick and choose some beers each quarter, since there are more than 12 starred beers on that list and the info on the preservation page for The Bruery (http://www.thebruery.com/preservation/) indicates this: "Each release will include one barrel-aged sour ale, one barrel-aged strong ale and a third limited release"

The pricing on this club seems pretty great. ase"
  36. I am available as a Trustee if anyone needs it. I am in Orange County several times a month and plan on joining myself.
  37. Think the one barrel aged sour, barrel aged strong, and a third limited release refer to the 3 different bottles a PS member gets each quarter and not the allocations they get.
  38. nanobrew

I am guessing that is poor wording, as the poster on the previouss page showed the beers available
    whiskey likes this.
  39. usofar

usofar Initiate (0) California Dec 23, 2010

I have a hard time believing that's real, and still think it has to be a photoshop. If it is real, I will be both a RS member and a PS member for 3/4 of the year. I can't see them having a problem with that since it wasn't a problem being a Hoarder and a RS member for 2013.
    JustXBeer likes this.
  40. Nope, not photo shopped in any way. I was slightly annoyed with it when I saw it and the breakdown by quarter. I'm in the same boat as you, I'm an RS member and am really tempted to do a quarter or two of PS now also instead of buying my allocations.
    JustXBeer likes this.