1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

bruery reserve society 2013 allocations

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by Levitation, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Levitation

Levitation Member

since no one is taking leadership in the other thread, i'm just starting a placeholder.

discuss allocations, worship at patrick rue's feet, etc. i'm expecting vacax to be all over this one.
  2. RedBeeron

RedBeeron Member

Melange #1 was probably the deciding factor in my decision to renew.
  3. Scalene

Scalene Member

Did you hear they're closing Provisions?
  4. ehammond1

ehammond1 Member

I heard St. Patrick's Day is actually named after Patrick Rue. Cannot confirm or deny, but this is what I'm hearing.
    KaslD, Rempo, MarkIntihar and 17 others like this.
  5. crusian

crusian Member

Did they already sell through the initiation tickets, or not for sale yet... Thinking of going out. need to pick up the rest of my allocation from last year anyway.
  6. moonknight31

moonknight31 Member

initiation tickets have not gone on sale yet
  7. crusian

crusian Member

Thanks! have not been to one, is there a bottle share or anything?
  8. stupac2

stupac2 Member

Not at the event.
  9. djaeon

djaeon Member

That's primarily what the Clusterfork events are right? Bottle-shares? This is my first year as an RS member.
  10. stupac2

stupac2 Member

I believe so, but have not been to a Clusterfork. But I can definitely tell you that the initiation does not have a bottleshare. And, based on my experience, doing one there would be batshit insane. So much beer...
  11. teamizm

teamizm Member

Yup, Clusterforks are generally bottle shares. You probably don't want to do a bottle share at the initiation party as there's plenty of 18%+ -bal goodness to keep even a chronic alcoholic satisfied.
  12. Overlord

Overlord Member

Reserve Society? Pshaw. "Peon Hodgepodge" is more like it.

Hoarders. So say we all.
  13. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Member

Don't you know you're banned to the Outer Rim breweries? Begone to Off the Tracks and Wet'nWreckless!
  14. Franch

Franch Member

Any veterans of the RS want to chime in on which RS party I should go to if I am only going to fly from NYC for one? The initiation party? A clusterfork? Something else that I don't know about?
    tylerzombie and sandman3479 like this.
  15. jtmartino

jtmartino Member

Actually, I was underwhelmed last year. There weren't nearly enough taster tickets per person, and you couldn't buy more. I definitely could've used 5 more tickets - I left that place with a mild buzz and a feeling that I missed quite a bit.
  16. doobliebop

doobliebop Member

How many Chocolate Rains should I expect to be able to purchase as part of a RS membership (besides the one that comes with the membership)?
  17. Ynot2

Ynot2 Member

Half as many as a hoarder can buy.
    Overlord, stawn, Rempo and 8 others like this.
  18. usofar

usofar Member

if you're only coming to one I would recommend the Initiation Party, The Barrel Aged Party, the Anniversary Party or the Black Tuesday Party. The cluster forks are fun and totally worth it (I went to every one last year), but the other parties are a notch above. The Cluster Forks are like giant bottle shares with a couple specialty beers on tap, but they tend to break out the rarer beers at the other parties. I live 4 miles away so I pretty much do them all, but if I was travelling I'd focus on the one's I singled out. Just be warned they're also the most popular. The BT release and BA Party both sold out quick... like minutes quick.
    Callmecoon likes this.
  19. Earlycsquid

Earlycsquid Member

If you can even get in. Those tickets go fast. And without spill over space at provisions, this makes for even harder to get tickets
  20. Franch

Franch Member

Didn't even know those three were things. I'll have to search for threads on them.
  21. pmarlowe

pmarlowe Member

Initiation Party dominates Black Tuesday celebration by far. I can't speak to the BA Party.
  22. Franch

Franch Member

by *far*?
  23. Retsinis

Retsinis Member

The Barrel Aged beer party both in 2012, & 2011 was better then the much better organized 2012 intiation, as well as the Clusterfuck that the 2011 intiation was. However, I did still enjoy all of them. Attended about 4 Clusterforks in 2011, but none in 2012, however they were always fun.

Being a Hoarder member now myself, I'm looking forward to what events they plan.
  24. stupac2

stupac2 Member

I liked the BT dinner pairing better.
    Really? Everyone I knew ended up with extra tickets and at the end they were pouring without taking tickets. I went away pretty blitzed.
    RedBeeron likes this.
  25. abecall98

abecall98 Member

The boys and I are sharing a membership. Looking to put our shipment on hold until march to just get a big box including the Chocolate Rain. Wish we could make the initiate parties.

Looking forward to some goodies showing up to my door.
  26. pmarlowe

pmarlowe Member

Fair enough. I enjoyed the BT dinner thing, since it was more relaxed, but the Initiation Party just had so much more on tap.

I agree about the extra tickets. Our group had quite a few extras by the end. For me, the problem was having enough time to enjoy all the pours in the 2 hour time frame (or however long it was, I forget). I guess the moral of the story is: if you run out, just beg strangers for more.
  27. stupac2

stupac2 Member

Yeah, if the thing had been 4 hours long it would've been more of an issue that there were limited tickets. Then again I got to try pretty much everything I wanted to try, so it might have been fine either way.

Anywho, I enjoyed myself, but not so much that I'll be racing to go again this year, it probably won't work out.
  28. jtmartino

jtmartino Member

Yeah. By the time I left a lot of the other beers I wanted to try were gone or near gone (I left probably half an hour before the event was over.) I wasn't with a big group, and I can drink, so that probably didn't help things.

It was a pretty solid event but they should allow sales of additional tasters after a couple of hours. It also would've been nice to have another food option besides BBQ.
  29. AndresR

AndresR Member

Depends on what you want out of the events. At the Barrel tasting event, they had every vintage of EVERY BA'd beer they have produced. You could get together with few buddies and do some verts to see how things are shaping up. I don't recall much of that at the Initiation Party.

But at the initiation party it's pretty much all the Saison Rue you can drink! And the Barrel Tasting could not brag about that.

Plus the Initiation party was like $50 and the BA party was like $30.
  30. domtronzero

domtronzero Member

Not to nitpick, but the Barrel Party didn't have a few of the BA beers they've produced (BA Partridge, BA Levud's, maybe a couple others), but yah you're right that they had pretty much every BA beer they'd ever made.

As far as the Initiation Party, it wasn't like it was LA's Track Release party with unlimited Red Barn and Devo. They had different vintages of Black Tuesday and Choc Rain, as well as BA 2TD, BA Coton and Cuir, as well as several of their sours, including a couple that haven't made it to bottles.

IMO, I'd pick the Initiation Party or the Barrel Party. But it seems like last year the Barrel Party was kind of a "oh I guess we have to do one, even though we weren't really planning on it" kind of thing, and I'm wondering if that is something that's going to be dropped in the future.

The BT party is hit-or-miss whether you get tickets or not, so I wouldn't make plans in advance to come to town for that one in case you don't get tickets in time.

Clusterforks are great, but they only have a couple/few rarities on tap for those, and I think it's more about the bottle-share than anything.
  31. jtmartino

jtmartino Member

Yeah the selection was great - it was just too bad you couldn't try all of them on one person's ticket allocation!

Here's the taplist from last year:

barrel aged 2 turtle doves
    barrel aged autumn maple
    barrel fermented autumn maple
    batch 300
    batch 50
    bierbauch
    black tuesday
    burly gourd
    chocosaurus rye
    coton
    cuadruplé
    cuir
    gunga galunga
    iso:ft
    marrón acidifié
    melange 1
    melange 3
    mischief gone wild
    papier
    premiere
    run bmc
    saison de lente 2010
    salt of the earth
    smoking wood (rye barrel)
    smoking wood (bourbon barrel)
    snicklefritz
    sour in the rye
    tart of darkness
    white oak
    mother funkier
    acer quercus
    carmen w/ kiwi
    carmen w/ pomegranate
    chocolate rain
    eider’s folly
    humulus lager
    iniquitous
    loakal red
    old richland
    otiose
    oude tart
    oude tart w/ sour cherries
    sans pagaie
    firkin: sour in the rye w/ kumquats
    firkin: bourbon smoking wood w/ bacon
  32. AndresR

AndresR Member

At the end of the day, you're gonna come out a winner from attending either party. And they are so spread out, attend both!!!!!!!!
    jtmartino and domtronzero like this.
  33. Franch

Franch Member

was the barrel party the one on like a tuesday or wednesday last year?
  34. Retsinis

Retsinis Member

I agree with this.
    Yeah, I'd say both the intiation, and the barrel party, being so spread out, are the two that are the best for your money to experience.

However, with all this said in this thread, if you want to come to CA only once in the year, and have a great event, go to the Firestone Walker invitational in June. The Bruery was there last year pouring quite a few good offerings, in addition to many other amazing breweries. Unlimited pours, unlimited food, unlimited water, 4 hours, etc. The best paid event I've ever attended... exclamation point ("period" just wasn't dramatic enough) and the bottle shares the night before, and after the event, epic.
  35. evilc

evilc Member

Holy crap - where can I get in on this?
    domtronzero likes this.
  36. GhettoFabulous

GhettoFabulous Member

This perfectly captures the genius of Patrick Rue: getting people to spend $700 for the privilege of buying twice as many $35 beers as those suckers who paid only $300 for the privilege of buying his incredibly expensive beer.

I think it's safe to say that those of us involved in this sort of thing have been dealt a very good hand of cards in life.
  37. jtmartino

jtmartino Member

Or we're idiots.
  38. Levitation

Levitation Member

while i did lol, i find it fascinating that people lamented the scarcity of bruery beers 3 years ago but are so dismissive of his beer now that quantity* went up.

re: the "privilege" of buying beers, it's almost like people think only waiting in line for something validates its quality. hell yes i'm happy with the convenience of shopping in my underwear.

*and, i'd argue, quality - at least for black tuesday, fruet, melange no. 3. i find it's worth joining just to get massive quantities of those beers alone.
  39. GhettoFabulous

GhettoFabulous Member

Agreed on all counts. I’m just afraid of tallying up the money I spend on RS purchases in a given year and in complete awe that the bruery has pulled off such an amazing revenue generation machine. Surely, the titans of corporate America would love to integrate this concept into their capitalist exploits if only they could figure out a way.

Indeed, we get the spoils of absurdly delicious (and expensive) beer, and the considerable benefit of easy access, but nonetheless an extraction tube has been hooked up to our wallets that can easily suck out anywhere from 2-5% of our annual salaries. It’s almost like tithing, though obviously better since the opium of our masses is real and imbibed in this life, as opposed to promised in the next life which, with fingers crossed, many people await with high (if mistaken) hopes.

And I do not mean this as an attack on the bruery, which I happily and wholeheartedly tithe in order to partake in the delicious blood of the beer gods.
    luwak likes this.
  40. RedBeeron

RedBeeron Member

Ryan, you get your own membership? Last year it was 2 bottles with 1 included, so at least enough for each of your crew to get 1.

Do what I did, and look for a person/couple with at least half their tickets left with an hour to go and make friends. :D
    queens1130 and doobliebop like this.