Dismiss Notice
Get 12 monthly issues of BeerAdvocate magazine and save $5 when you select "auto-renew."

Subscribe now →
Dismiss Notice
Join our email list →

And we'll send you the latest updates and offers from BeerAdvocate, because knowing is half the battle.

bruery reserve society 2013 allocations

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by Levitation, Jan 8, 2013.

1. queens1130

queens1130 Savant (375) California Nov 21, 2008 Beer Trader

Ugh, not Bruery RS but this is usually me and my gf at events, we are such lightweights...

2. jtmartino

jtmartino Advocate (525) California Dec 11, 2010 Beer Trader

3. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (460) California Mar 13, 2009 Beer Trader

Initiation Party last year was awesome. Except for the pouring rain...

4. Retsinis

Retsinis Advocate (600) California Sep 25, 2009 Verified

I wasn't satisfied with the food, but that's because I'm a vegetarian. I'm sure the meat from beachwood bbq is great, and when they catered at the RS barrel party in 2011, I was able to get double helpings of cream spiniach for some protein, but they didn't bring that at the 2012 Intiation, so my plate was bread, & mash potatoes. Even the beans had bacon in them. Stung a little considering the $50 price tag...but awesome beers of course.

woodchopper and lymph like this.
  5. Poor guy, no rogue doughnut maple bacon for you. That must be tough.

6. Retsinis

Retsinis Advocate (600) California Sep 25, 2009 Verified

I lose sleep most nights....lol, I've smelled it, but from those I know that have had it, not sure I'm missing out on anything :D

7. RedBeeron

RedBeeron Savant (260) California Jul 7, 2012

We should attend the same events!

queens1130 likes this.
  8. t8000shx

t8000shx Savant (340) New York Mar 2, 2004

Hugely agree - specifically with regards to Melange 3 and Fruet. I've always thought it a bit odd how under the radar Melange 3 is. Not that it's not known/appreciated, but frankly I'd take it over a King Henry, BB4D, or quite nearly any other barrel aged old ale or barleywine. It's a stunning beer that doesn't get nearly the recognition of other similar (and lesser, in my opinion) beers.

Long way of saying I fully agree that buying large amounts of that beer makes the whole HS/RS worthwhile.

KevSal, cardinal79 and Levitation like this.
  9. Earlycsquid

Earlycsquid Advocate (520) California Jan 7, 2013 Beer Trader

Well, up till this week, the provisions store was washed with cases and cases of both Melange 3 as well as Fruet. That higher price tag really made it so that they moved so slowly. So it's more of a cost per 750ml than it is a reflection of the people's perception of the beer.

I agree though. If I had the expendable income, I would have joined. It's basically beer futures with the option to expand your orders with the first dibs.

10. walterfredo

walterfredo Savant (370) California Nov 22, 2011 Beer Trader

New to the RS this year, so apologize if this info is already posted or readily available. Is there any sort of calendar or timeline that shows when we can expect what? I'm wondering when RS members will be offered the first round of additional purchases (allocations?), and when we can pick up the first batch. Is there an exclusive RS website or anything? Thanks.

11. domtronzero

domtronzero Initiate (0) California Aug 18, 2007

No there's no calendar, and aside from what they've already mentioned, there's no set timeline of when to expect what. But you can plan on Chocolate Rain in March, Black Tuesday in October, BA 5 Gold Rings and 6 Geese a-laying in December. Otherwise, the beers are released when they're ready.

I expect the first allocations to be available for purchase sometime this month. They usually have an allocation offering every month, ranging from 2-3 bottles. If Griffon Bruxellois is carb'ing up like they said, I expect it to be part of the first set of allocations. However, they've already pushed it back. The last time they had to push something back was the bottled release of Iniquitous, which never got released because it never carbonated to their expectations.

There is an RS forum: rsforum.thebruery.com but I find it to be rather lacking. I usually get all of my news here on BA.

Callmecoon likes this.
  12. Earlycsquid

Earlycsquid Advocate (520) California Jan 7, 2013 Beer Trader

Last I heard, Griffon was going to be sitting till around March in hopes that it carbed up some more. Just keep a heads up on your emails as you'll have plenty of time from receiving it to when your cut off date to purchase is.

13. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

That's what happens when a brewery makes a lot of a beer and doesn't spread it thinly over 15 states. Whales are forged in shitshows.

jtmartino likes this.
  14. walterfredo

walterfredo Savant (370) California Nov 22, 2011 Beer Trader

thanks for the info. I'll just keep an eye out for email updates.

15. JCDenver

JCDenver Savant (330) Texas Feb 8, 2010 Beer Trader

So we can only purchase extras of Sour in the Rye? I logged in the other day and it was showing a lot more availability....

EDIT: Answered my own question with a phone call. Apparently they are having website problems and everything will be back up shortly.

16. Skuter

Skuter Savant (315) California Jun 21, 2008 Verified

If your going to just fly for 1, I would cast my vote for the barrel party.

17. funhog

funhog Advocate (565) Illinois Mar 8, 2011 Beer Trader

What? The Barrel Party?

18. salzar

salzar Initiate (0) California Dec 27, 2008

November/December ish, party of just beers that have touched a barrel. I think it is the second best event of the RS after the initiation party

19. Barrel Party is rad. Definitely hit it up. Hopefully this year they don't forget until the last minute.

20. If that tap list is true, I'd be happy to sign up just for the party! :D

21. Rollzroyce21

Rollzroyce21 Champion (870) California Oct 24, 2009 Beer Trader

I love how this convo was seemless after 8 month pause

GottaTickemAll and mrkrispy like this.
  22. pmarlowe

pmarlowe Advocate (730) District of Columbia Nov 27, 2010 Beer Trader

RIP Levitation.

23. Vanlingleipa

Vanlingleipa Savant (495) California May 19, 2011 Beer Trader

Who?

pmarlowe likes this.
  24. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

her?

libbey, Franch, ridglens and 3 others like this.
  25. Franch

Franch Advocate (600) New York Mar 22, 2011 Beer Trader

over Black Tuesday?

26. domtronzero

domtronzero Initiate (0) California Aug 18, 2007

I was gonna say this too, but BT is still a bitch to get tickets to, even though they changed it to an RS-only party last year. At least with the initiation party tickets are pretty much guaranteed. The barrel party didn't sell out too fast last year, but it was still limited.

27. salzar

salzar Initiate (0) California Dec 27, 2008

IMO Barrel party > Black Tuesday event, unless you want to tick all of the special one-off BT variants.

28. Going to agree that the Barrel Party is much better than BT event.