1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bruery Reserve Society - What's left in the year...

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by Beerontwowheels, Jun 12, 2012.

?

Was this useful to anybody?

1. Yes - but you're still a tool

84.0%
  2. No - I don't budget for beer, nor do I care what's to come.

16.0%
  1. Hey all - I was taking a look at the original Bruery 2012 Reserve Society (RS) email and wanted to see what's still coming down the pike for this year's RS.

Below is an extract of that email with my notes to highlight what's been offered already and what's still to come. Maybe someone else will find this helpful (in terms of budgeting, ha!).

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Reserve Society Membership

Membership will go on sale on November 14th through store.thebruery.com and will end December 31st or when they are sold out. Membership is $295 and includes the following:

•1 bottle 4 Calling Birds
    •1 bottle Melange #3
    •1 bottle Vitis Series: Oui Oui
    •1 bottle Chocolate Rain (upon release)
    •1 bottle Mystery Beer (upon release)
    •2 bottles 2012 Black Tuesday (upon release)
    •2 bottles Bourbon Barrel Aged 4 Calling Birds (upon release)
    2 (1) high quality pieces of exclusive Reserve Society Merchandise (Got the sweatshirt)

We anticipate the following beers to be released to the Reserve Society in 2012:

•Filmishmish
    •Sour In The Rye
    •Kriek (Sans Pagaie)
    •Chocolate Rain
    •100% Barrel Aged Fleur
    •White Oak
    •Oude Tart
    •Oude Gueuzie
    •Black Tuesday
    •Melange #3
    •Smoking Wood
    •Barrel Aged 4 Calling Birds
    •Approximately 8 (Approximately 3 left) Provisions Series releases including some very exciting collaborations with local breweries (Chocosaurus Rye, Go Team, A Stein's Throw, Mother Funker, Tart of Darkness)

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

One beer that has been released that was not identified above is 'Otiose'. Since that beer was made available to purchase, it cannot be the mystery beer that was included in the 295$ membership fee. It's also not considered a provisions series beer, given the label doesn't specify provisions series.

It looks like we still have 5 bottles left included in the membership fee along with 1 piece of merchandise.

From an allocations perspective, there are about 8 (approximately 3 provisions, 5 anticipated) to go.

Cheers!

2. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

Nice work. You gave me the choice so I called you a tool.

Cheers!

GuruDel likes this.
  3. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Advocate (515) Ohio Jan 28, 2011

Wasn't Black Tuesday released to RS members recently? Like at the end of May?

4. DefenCorps

DefenCorps Advocate (605) Oregon Jan 18, 2007

I would say : a lot of disappointment.

ArchEnemyBrew likes this.
  5. Axic10

Axic10 Savant (425) New Jersey Mar 15, 2008

No it's been in October for the last three years it was released. You're thinking of their Anniversary sale, they did release some bottles of Black Tuesday (I think around 150 iirc).

6. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

Melange 3 and Black Tuesday are all that matter. Obviously.

KevSal, afrokaze, Alpar and 1 other person like this.
  7. I'm most curious/excited about the mystery beer. Some variation of Black Tuesday/Chocolate Rain (Cherry Rain, S'more Tuesday) would be ideal, but I'm not counting on it.

ZX6Chris likes this.
  8. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (625) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

The membership "fee" includes 9 bottles of beer and 2 pieces of swag? Or are those just available for purchase to the RS members?

9. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Advocate (515) Ohio Jan 28, 2011

10. The fee included 9 bottles and 2 pieces of swag.

pschul4 likes this.
  11. MarkIntihar

That's fair. I like to keep my expectations low, so I've already assumed it's going to be a sour that I'll probably like, but won't enjoy as much as BT and M3. If it's Grey Monday, I might shit my pants.

12. pschul4

That basically talked me into buying the 2013 RS membership :)

Follow up question: What's the easiest way to set up a trustee?

13. Though I know they haven't done it on a small scale like they have with the two you mentioned, some variation with coffee would be interesting - that beer needs some roasty bitterness.

hoserking and Tieman like this.
  14. Contact any past trading partners that live in Southern California. Or any friends or trading partners that are already in the RS and can hook you up with their trustee.

pschul4 likes this.
  15. I'd also LOVE a BA variation of Fruet, similar to what they did with Papier. I say this without having actually tried Fruet yet...

16. Domeshot14

Domeshot14 Savant (270) California Jul 10, 2011

Isn't Fruet 100% BA already?

17. It is, but they did different barrel treatments (bourbon, brandy & rye whiskey) for Papier. That's what I'm talking about.

18. Domeshot14

Domeshot14 Savant (270) California Jul 10, 2011

Gotcha!

19. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

talk to a regular trading partner or causally mention you are looking for one in a thread after you sign up next year. Usually you should not have a problem finding one. Be prepared to spend a good amount of money. Not only is there the cost of other beer you buy (if you so choose to), but then getting a box to your trustee or paying for a shipper, then shipping to you (nearly $40 for a full 12 bottle shipper), then some thank you beers to your trustee (or whatever situation you line up).

Also, it is uncertain what the membership will look like next year. That is whether it will exist (they were going to change it last year) or add more people, they already went from something like 750 in 2011 to nearly 1500 in 2012.

20. MarkIntihar

I thought it was closer to 1000... but I could certainly be wrong. Have they ever actually posted the number anywhere?

21. MarkIntihar

You can't have Brett though, HE'S MINE! ;)

22. pschul4

Theoretically what could change about the RS?

23. nanobrew

You might be right, I haven't seen an official number. IIRD they opened it up to 1000, then it sold out in a day and people moaned a lot so they reopened it to 1500, but didn't sell out.

24. nanobrew

well for 2012 the original plan was to essentially get rid of it. The membership would only be to previous members, it would be free, you would only have to buy 1 beer a year to stay in the society. No gifts, no included beer, still have first dibs on parties and events.

So for 2013 they could be going a head with that plan, or keeping it as is. If keeping as is who knows if they will increase the size or just let people fill in the spots of people who do not rejoin.

25. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

Just ask me. I trustee for 5 BA's now. We have a great system worked out. BM if you want details.

Cheers!

26. Thanks for posting this as I forgot what we got for free... You're still a tool though. :p

pschul4 and MarkIntihar like this.
  27. pschul4

This was an email I received in February (so things could change since then) but it read:

"Hi Peter,
    We stopped selling memberships on December 31st. The membership does include some
    special beers that are just sold to RS members. Check back in November to join our 2013 Reserve Society.

Sincerely,
    The Bruery"

28. Retsinis

Retsinis Advocate (555) California Sep 25, 2009

Yes, they have. As stated by Benjamin Weiss, March 28 2012, on the Bruery RS Forum. "This forum is amusing. Where does all of this information come from if not from The Bruery? 1) There are 1,350 people in the 2012 Reserve Society."

http://rsforum.thebruery.com/profile/2hklsz07ed93b?xg_source=profiles_friendList

Not much more official then that.

Edit note: if your not in the RS, or registered with that site, you might not see it from that link, but anyone that can, will.

2beerdogs likes this.
  29. MarkIntihar

Damn, I haven't been on that site since like January... I should probably keep an eye on it every once in a while, huh?

30. Retsinis

Retsinis Advocate (555) California Sep 25, 2009

You haven't missed too much, it's not that active, sadly, (as compared to say BA) but I do check it from time to time.

31. Corbet

Corbet Savant (330) Michigan Nov 7, 2010

While I love being a member of the RS, I don't think locals really benefit anymore except for the limited RS beers that have been offered (Chocolate Rain, Filmishmish, BBA Smoking Wood). My trustee doesn't even bother reserving his allocations because he can walk into Provisions and buy every release easily.

I really thing they should retool it so locals benefit more.

cocoapuph likes this.
  32. vacax

vacax Advocate (620) California Jun 3, 2008

I think that Oude Geuzie is Mother Funker. Just a feeling though. Seeing as how the year is only half over, I also expect the current pace of releases will continue, so we should end up with more releases than anticipated. Also note that anticipated does not mean guaranteed.

33. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

Locals do benefit more, the discount is so much more useful to them. Plus they can try a single bottle of something before they decide how much to get.

mrkrispy and pmarlowe like this.
  34. Oude Geuzie might be Mother Funker, but they did list it separately from the Provisions series, so who knows. The Bruery also never acknowledges that Mother Funker is a blend of different vintage lambics, but now I am definitely reading into the their use of 'Gueuzie'. Maybe Patrick or another Bruery employee can weigh in here... ::crosses fingers::

Agreed that they are on track to release more than anticipated. No complaints here.

35. vacax

vacax Advocate (620) California Jun 3, 2008

Well that is based on how Mother Funker didn't turn out exactly the way it were intended.

36. Cinderbike

Cinderbike Savant (280) Nevada Jan 16, 2011

Bottling CCR for RS members would make up for any misgivings I have had so far this year. Especially if BT hits distribution (which, judging from how many barrels of it I saw at the warehouse, is possible).

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that Mother Funker was a sour gone wrong, given how aggresively tart it is and how cheap it was. But, they may have held some back for blending (or perhaps it was always meant for blending, and they bottled and sold the extra) so Old Gueuzie may still come out.

@Beerontwowheels, Tart of Darkness wasn't a Provisions release this year, so it doesn't count toward those 8 beers, FYI.

37. Good catch. While I'd still appreciate having first dibs on stuff like black tuesday/chocolate rain, if they decide to go out for distribution with that caliber stuff, they have to step up the reserve soceity. Or end it. I was really surprised by the decision to release 100% BBA Fruet to the masses this year. I've said it elsewhere, but that beer was half the reason I signed up for the RS.

38. Cinderbike

Cinderbike Savant (280) Nevada Jan 16, 2011

Totally agree. Honestly, I was a bit surprised that they didn't decide to offer a Brandy or Rye Fruet to RS members this year. We'll see what the rest of the year has in store.

39. nanobrew

well to be fair, they technically did try to do that, but brought it back due to popular demand.

40. domtronzero

domtronzero Initiate (0) California Aug 18, 2007

When I talked with Patrick Rue at an event a few months ago we discussed future BT distribution. He said it was not going to happen because he likes the idea of having an event for the release of it (ala Dark Lord Day). Its a special beer with a special release, and he doesn't see that changing in the future. So don't hold your breath waiting for BT to be distributed...