1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bruery Shipping.

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by AdamSimpson, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Not as bad as I thought it could be. I totaled up a cart of 6-750's and it was around was only $10 to ship. The initial package is shipping for $12 for "3 bottles." Wonder if there are some other goodies in there or if that was just a generic number they came up with as an average what it will cost throughout CA, whereas the quoted shipping for the other bottles are for quoted based on zip code.

I know I am going to be taking advantage of this new service The Bruery has provided for us.

clubarsky91 likes this.
  2. Woah, that was written poorly. Apparently, I am not so great at multitasking.

3. rrryanc

rrryanc Savant (400) California May 19, 2006

Ya, I was pleasantly surprised as well, was expecting to get reamed. I did email to ask if they'd combo the initial package with other beers to lower shipping. That'd be nice, though I don't expect it to happen.

4. Franch

Franch Advocate (540) New York Mar 22, 2011

anyone else seeing "you have selected an invalid address" at checkout (for bottles) even with a California address being made primary shipping/billing?

EDIT: zip+4 breaks their site. take +4 out.

EDIT2: interesting that it's $12...plus shipping?

5. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

I think this is different for RS/HS than for PS. First quarter PS was $17.68 to an address a block from Adam. Still fair, just not a bargain.

6. Franch

shipping to LA for RS 1 bottle was $6.28, 5 was $6.83, 15 was $8.11, and 50 is $9.97 for non-RS beer. shipping to LA for 12 SITR was $11 something. weird...

7. djaeon

djaeon Advocate (725) California Oct 2, 2006

From the other Preservation Society thread:

I emailed them a screen shot in case they don't already know about that issue. Hopefully they'll fix it.

KevSal likes this.
  8. cocoapuph

cocoapuph Savant (390) California Mar 4, 2011

anyone know if the bottles are shipped in styro shippers? i would def ship to myself in san diego just to get a couple nice shippers for trading.

9. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (365) California Mar 13, 2009

Just a guess, but I bet they're the cardboard shippers like Fifty Fifty uses. Bevmo carries these now too, and I can't seem to find the Styrofoam ones anymore :(

10. Franch

useful for those of us who aren't in CA. i assume the Bruery shippers are good enough that my Trustee can just put a new label on the box and send it off.

11. cocoapuph

yah thats prolly a safe guess. ill give an order a try and see what comes. also was wondering like others above why an order of 6 bottles is cheaper to ship than the initiation package of 3. hopefully patrick will chime in at some point with some more clarification.

12. 4kbrianb likes this.
  13. cocoapuph

14. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

Yeah they should be, but it may be a good idea to open and verify - I like to put packing in the bottom and top areas when using those cardboard shippers because they have a tendency to collapse.

Yeah they work fine for a few trips, but after a while they just get smashed.

15. When they used to offer shippers for trustees to pick up along with allocations for shipping they were the styrofoam shippers, if that is any indication.

16. Ynot2

Ynot2 Savant (310) California Jul 24, 2009

I think the shipping costs are very reasonable. Great option for those of us up north. Has anyone used this shipping service before? Do you know if they deliver on Saturday or what the process is if no one is available to sign for the shipment?

17. I've had wine clubs use GSO before. They do not deliver on Saturdays, to my knowledge. At least no shipments ever go to my door then. If I recall, they leave a note on your door with a phone number to call to reschedule if they miss you. You can always call them to verify what there exact policies are: http://www.gso.com/aboutus/contactus

18. Ynot2

Ynot2 Savant (310) California Jul 24, 2009

Thanks, I get wine from them also and could not remember a Sat shipment. Someone has always been home, maybe just send to my work. Thanks

19. bneumayr

bneumayr Disciple (60) California Mar 7, 2009

Has anyone received their initial package? How long did it take to get to you after placing the order?

20. jtmartino

Placed my order on the 23rd and it came today. I wasn't home, so I had to schedule a pickup at GSO's depot tomorrow.

That's the only hurdle for me - I can't easily get packages at work as they get routed through a big system, so I'll have to go pick it up every time.

21. Rau71

Rau71 Initiate (0) California Dec 12, 2011

Am I the only one that has sour in the rye as the only beer I can buy? If so it might be a mobile site issue.

22. walterfredo

walterfredo Savant (260) California Nov 22, 2011

I think all the other bottle offerings were short lived, there was a discussion of this in another thread (Preservation society thread?). Kind of sucks, would love to buy some melange 3 today.

23. Rau71

Rau71 Initiate (0) California Dec 12, 2011

I figured I was late to the party on the exclusives but I was thinking I would be able to order standard Bruery beers to get shipped to me.

24. walterfredo

walterfredo Savant (260) California Nov 22, 2011

any word on this? Do I still have to pay a separate shipping charge for my initial package and for whatever add'l bottles of sour in the rye I purchase?

25. PMR

PMR Savant (285) California Mar 31, 2005

Hi All--

We're still figuring out a few issues with the new site, so everything except for Sour in the Rye (for RS / HS members) has been taken down. The shipping calculator has had a few issues, and the system currently isn't covering the cost of packaging materials. GSO does have great shipping rates, especially for 6-12 bottle shipments.

We're getting these issues sorted out before we make all of the beers that were on the site available again. Once it is back up, expect any bottles you could buy in our tasting room to be available for shipping through the site.

Thanks for your patience-- we'll get it figured out soon.

Cheers,
    Patrick
    The Bruery

misterranger, FGITP, tcanaday and 3 others like this.
  26. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

When I found out they were using GSO I was saddened. I had a monstrously hard time using them when I was in a BotM club, so much so that I just canceled my membership rather than deal with the massive headache that they are. I have something coming to me, so I guess I'll see, but I'm expecting it to be awful.

27. domtronzero

domtronzero Initiate (0) California Aug 18, 2007

One suggestion, and I'm sure you're working on this, but it would be nice to see when the allocations end for society member orders (and what date SitR allocations are expected to end). Otherwise, I'm really digging the functionality and appearance of the new site!

Thanks!

mrkrispy and jtmartino like this.
  28. jtmartino

What kind of problems? I have limited experience with them and it'd be good to have a heads-up.

29. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

Just the typical problems you'd expect when you work during the day, can't get packages delivered to the office, and packages require signatures. My frustration was compounded by the fact that these were being delivered to an apartment complex with an always-there manager who could sign for them, but they didn't allow that (while Fedex/UPS, IIRC, did). I was also never offered the ability to come pick it up from a central location.

This was all the more jarring because the BotM club switched from UPS to GSO partway through, and UPS was SO EASY because they deliver in the evenings around here (also, I believe they allow adult signatures on the missed delivery notices, although I may be misremembering that as well). GSO has been the only shipping company that I've consistently had massive problems getting to leave the packages.

30. drgarage

On a related question, any guess as to when the initial shipments for the various societies will roll out?

31. jtmartino

I ordered mine on the 23rd and got it delivered yesterday (although I wasn't there and now have to drive up to South SF to pick it up.)

32. drgarage

Your initiation package? Or just an early order of SitR or some of the other beers there at launch?

33. rrryanc

Never got a response, unfortunately.

34. jtmartino

It was the "initial package" that I paid the $12 for as well as a second shipment of other bottles.

I paid $12 for my initial package shipment and it was a separate item in my cart. I added 3 additional bottles to my order and paid another $10 to ship those bottles too.

So it was about $22 for 6 bottles total, 3 of which were in my initial shipment. Not bad considering the discount.

35. bird22

bird22 Savant (415) California Jan 2, 2011

Did you receive a shipping notification? Just wondering, as I ordered on the same day.

36. jtmartino

Yeah I did from GSO Webship. Received the shipping receipt on Jan 28, so processing took about a week from The Bruery's end.

37. rrryanc

Ya, I was asking whether they could combine the shipments to make it cheaper. 6 bottles of SitR shipped is only $11 - so once you hit 3 or so, you're not paying much more for additions. Ordering the initial package shipping along with other beers didn't realize that discounted bulk savings.

38. How were the bottles packaged? Styrofoam sleeves for wine?

As someone else mentioned, if the packaging is good and reusable, it is worth the $12 for the packaging materials.

39. jtmartino

My order of the Initial Shipment + 3 extra bottles came in 2 boxes, 3 bottles each. The intial shipment came in its own box with different packaging whereas the other 3 bottles I ordered came in a styro shipper. See below.

I'm assuming that if you ordered a bunch of extra bottles on top of your Initial Shipment, you got more or bigger styro shippers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JustXBeer, cocoapuph and blguillen like this.
  40. drgarage

Awesome packaging for RS. Any updates as to when the PS initial packages will go out?