1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Brussels Packing supplies - Styro Shippers

Discussion in 'Benelux' started by fthomasl, Feb 15, 2013.

1. fthomasl

fthomasl Aficionado (120) Texas Mar 20, 2007

I will be visiting Brussels very soon. And of course I want to bring to beers home with me. Do you all know a place around Cantillon brewery that sells them? I will be checking them at the airport so I do not need to mail them back. Just need to find a place that sells them - specifically a 12-pack.

Thanks in advace for any info.

2. Erzengel

Erzengel Aficionado (230) Germany Sep 8, 2008

Hey,
    I'm sorry, but I haven't seen styro shippers or something like that in Belgium or Germany... Bubble-wrap or something is quite easy to get, but something made out of styrofoam or Styropor (German word for it) not - nearly all companies stopped using it due to the fact that it is plastic and not good for the environment...
    --> even Wine is shipped in card-board-boxes if you do mail-order...
    Probably you can pack the bottled with bubble-wrap on a plastic (beer-)crate??
    Good luck and have a nice trip!!!

3. beerpirates

beerpirates Savant (445) Belgium May 4, 2010

4. Erzengel

Erzengel Aficionado (230) Germany Sep 8, 2008

Great to see that they exist :)

5. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (855) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Good information to know when it comes to my upcoming Europe trip. In particular I'll be in Switzerland, Paris and flying out of Brussels. So I'm sure I'll accumulate a nice cache of bottles in my backpack that I'll need to package to take home.

6. DStoked

DStoked Savant (320) Ohio Sep 28, 2011

I was discussing this with someone else who raised the question as to whether these come with tops. So: do they? It would seem silly that they wouldn't but just want to be sure.

7. beerpirates

beerpirates Savant (445) Belgium May 4, 2010

They don't have tops because they are used for cellaring bottles , but they are the same like nirmal styro shippers , but there is no bottom and no top , so i always use strong carboard and then i put bubblewrap or foam in each hole so it's even better then the regular styro shipper , on top i do the same
    You can find Cardboard and boxes enough at the supermarkets

8. DougOLis

DougOLis Savant (275) California Aug 15, 2008

AVA Papierwaren (which is like a Michael's in the States) sells things like boxes, bubble wrap and styrofoam peanuts too.

9. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (690) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

In retrospect, I would have been a lot less stressed on my trip to Europe if I'd just brought styro-shippers with me on the way there. I took one over to carry the beers I was trading, but then planned to acquire shipping material for the additional beers I was going to bring home and it turned out to be an unnecessary pain in the ass I could have avoided by just bringing a second empty one with me. (I was travelling with my wife and we each got 2 free bags, so there were no concerns about extra luggage charges.)

10. mrkrispy

mrkrispy Savant (410) California Apr 5, 2006

That was my plan until I saw that British Airways charges $50 each way for a second bag, that screwed me.