1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Brutus setup.

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by CJS, Dec 1, 2012.

1. CJS

CJS Aficionado (190) Florida Oct 28, 2012

Is this setup worth it? Thinking of expanding my functionality. Anybody have any opinions on the best space saving and ease of use set up. If I get a 3 tier it would be in the garage. And frankly I'm worried about the ceiling height. Which is average. The brutus looks ideal, but is also a pricey build.
  2. telejunkie

telejunkie Savant (305) Vermont Sep 14, 2007

big investment, hours of work...it all depends on your level of commitment to the hobby. I used a basic gravity feed system for about 9 years before getting a pump and well, the rest is history. I now have a 2-tier, loved the 4 months it took to build it and the extra year to work out the kinks and fine tune it.
    [​IMG]
  3. I built mine on a cart. it stays in the garage and with limited space, the cart allows me to move it easily..I think half the fun of buliding it was scrounging the various pieces and parts and building it..Frankenbrewery..lol
  4. CJS

Lol. Yea I think I may go with a cart.
  5. telejunkie

i only have one pump so opted for the 2-tier since you basically need 2 pumps for a single tier. I takes up the same real estate as the single tier and is basically the same height since the second tier is down at about 18" off the ground...I see my image of the system didn't seem to load. Basically my stand is build from wood since I'm much better with wood than metal, 2x4s married together for beams, 2x4s for cross supports and a decking to hold my burners.
  6. CJS

Yea, I'd like to see a picture.
  7. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (425) Texas Nov 21, 2008

My system is a single tier, gas electric hybrid. I only use two pumps. Three pumps is ideal for single tier system that runs consecutive batches. Three also lets you recirc on each kettle att will.
  8. CJS

any pics?
  9. yinzer

yinzer Savant (385) Pennsylvania Nov 24, 2006

I think that Brutus concept is more than the stand.
  10. WickedSluggy

Here's a pic. As you can see single-tier with two pumps. It suits the amount I bew. If I had many multi-batch days, I'd want the three pumps. I can do some of the same stuff if I hook up manifolds, but they can take a lot of heat out of the system when circulating through the electric RIMS tube (Copper device in picture).

My electronics run on a BCS-460 that is housed in a project box attached to the erector set looking rach off to the left.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47583594@N08/6924118587/
  11. WickedSluggy

above
  12. telejunkie

13. WickedSluggy

Wood seems like an easy way of constructing a stand. It would be a bit heavy, but that's not a big deal if your not trying to be portable. The thing that I might be concerned about is dealing with the mess after boil-overs. They are messy enough with a metal stand, with wood, you probably want to have a nice coat of urethane. No one wants them boil-overs, but they do happen.
  14. telejunkie

could you see the pics? Yes, I put on i think two coats of a water seal or maybe a stain (can't remember now) but has done a really good job so far and just a quick wipe is enough to clean the stand. It is heavy, but the casters can even take it over the lawn.
  15. koopa

koopa Champion (765) New Jersey Apr 20, 2008

Best Space Saving and Ease of Use Setup = Single Kettle BIAB in my opinion, provided you rig a convenient way to suspend/drain the bag runnings back into the kettle.
  16. I'm designing a two tier system that will combine some elements of biab minus the bag and Brutus. One pump, mash-tun that will get either the full water volume needed to hit pre-boil numbers or a regular mash with a mash out to full volume. MLT will recirculate a la brutus for temp control, then i'll run off the full volume to the kettle, possibly take a hit on efficiency (I rarely brew beers over 1.060), skip the sparge and boil. No HLT. So sort of a play on the Brutus 20 idea.
  17. WickedSluggy

I think the "mash tube" concept makes a lot of sense. It provides nearly the simplicity of a BIAB process, but allows the brewer to recirculate in a manner that creates a flow through the grain, establishing a true grain bed. You could simply drain the wort for a no-sparge sparge. You can then add more water to do a batch sparge or a separate partigyle batch from the second runnings. You could slowly lift from the mash tun kettle during recirculation you could use the MT as the boil kettle. You'd probably need something like a shop crane (Harbour Freight has a 1 ton foldable unit for $99).
  18. ndinh

ndinh Disciple (70) California Jan 22, 2010

I'm currently in the process of getting a brutus built. I found a local builder so it'll be less than buying a 3-tier. I've been using a single pump with quick connects and it works for me. The single pump is used for everything from running the strike water to vorlaufing to transferring to the carboy. I opted for a brutus because frankly, lifting water up high just didn't sound fun. Also, I brew outside and store my equipment inside so the brutus will be used as a cart also.
  19. koopa

koopa Champion (765) New Jersey Apr 20, 2008

I remember you mentioning the system you were building in some prior threads / beermails and I'm a big fan of the concept. While you won't beat a 1 kettle BIAB space wise, I do think your system could rival (if not beat) BIAB in the ease of use category because you eliminate the bag altogether. Then again when you keep the bag, BIAB is able to eliminate lautering. If I had to choose between BIAB or your 2 kettle system though, I'd certainly take your 2 kettle setup over the single kettle BIAB but it would take up more space and might not be easier to use.

FWIW I stopped BIAB brewing about 10 batches ago and am now on a single tier 3 kettle setup.