1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Brynhildr's Gift - from Olvalde Farm & Brewing Company

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by Beakgeek, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Beakgeek

Beakgeek Aspirant (25) Minnesota May 30, 2012

Has anyone tried it? I had some a couple of days ago and it is very tasty. It is a Farmhouse Ale.

2. jera1350

jera1350 Advocate (740) Minnesota Dec 15, 2007

Yep, good stuff. There are several reviews up of it too.

3. cmannes

cmannes Savant (390) Minnesota Mar 15, 2009

I have one sitting in the fridge, looking forward to drinking it later.

4. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (755) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

Also have one on the shelf, gesturing obscenely to me when I walk by it.

5. incutrav

incutrav Savant (315) Minnesota Jan 16, 2007

Hows the juniper aspect to it?

6. Beakgeek

Beakgeek Aspirant (25) Minnesota May 30, 2012

Not as much juniper as I was expecting. There are reviews that state the Juniper was distinct, I had to try another bottle to get a hint of it.

7. I'm excited to see this, I'll look for some on the way home tonight. I've liked everything so far from Olvalde.

8. morimech

morimech Advocate (700) Minnesota Nov 6, 2006

It is good and is yet another yeast driven ale from Olvalde. However it was my least favorite of their beers. Do not expect a saison and you will be happy.

9. I agree, as wide as the farmhouse/saison style is, this seemed on the fence. Still a tasty beer though!

10. garymuchow

garymuchow Champion (760) Minnesota Aug 31, 2001

I've not been disappointed so far and I don't anticipate that I will be with this one either. Expectations are everything, and the caveat emptor will be considered.

11. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

Yup. I liked it.

"Just picked this brand new beer up from Zipps. Joe Pond has surely proven his brewing capabilities by now, I hope this one holds up to the standard that he's set for himself. Poured from 750ml swing top to tulip:

Pours a deep, hazy pear/gold with a swelling soft white head. Precise lacing and moderate, consistent beading. Really a gorgeous beer to look at.

You'll know by the nose that he wasn't stingy with the juniper. Bright juniper notes supported with big yeast, clove, banana, some nutty bits, spicy cereal malts. Lovely, fresh, complex.

The nose gave me high hopes that the flavors surpassed. I'd have to guess that Auroch's Horn is the base beer here. It seems like the juniper really beefs up the beer. Some bitter, malty caramel are thrown into the mix. Sweet bread. Sort of a tangy finish that's hard to dissect.

Overall, this is exactly what I was hoping for. This guy really knows how to brew great beer. I hope he does big things but, at the same time, I wish he would just keep doing his thing because he really has a knack for this."

12. mjryan

mjryan Savant (480) Minnesota Dec 22, 2007

Truly unique beers being brewed by Ovalde. The fact that the whole operation is kind of shrouded in mystery just adds to my interest in them. Hopefully we will see more Rhubarb Aurachs soon.

13. From what I have been told, it sounds like Rhubarb Auroch's will be back late Summer.