1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bud Light math

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Flight317, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Flight317

Flight317 Savant (250) Indiana Aug 10, 2013

Before I found craft beer I drank bud light and other terrible beers. Now, when I go out I use this as a math tool to tell me how many beers I've had. 9 ABV means I had just over 2 bud lights. Anyone else do this?
  2. hahahah yes! or bud heavy ratios. BCBS is just about 3 Budweiser's :cool:
  3. T-RO

T-RO Savant (275) New Hampshire Nov 9, 2012

I don't, not sure why I would care how many equivalent bud lights I've had.
    jminch, WckdVbz, Kyrojack and 6 others like this.
  4. There may be an easier way to get the info you're interested in - assuming what you're interested in is knowing, (for the sake of being able to drive, count calories, maintain liver functionality, etc.) is how many alcoholic drinks you've had.

Multiply the ABV of the beer you're drinking by the number of fluid ounces you're drinking and then divide that number by 60. The number you end up with is roughly how many alcoholic drinks you are consuming by drinking that one beer.

Example: Heady Topper

1 16 oz. can of Heady Topper (8% abv.)

16 x 8 = 128

128/60 = 2.133

So a can of Heady is just over 2 "regular beers."

Example 2: BCBS on draft

Let's say it's a 12oz pour. With BCBS being 14.2% ABV you get:

12 x 14.2 = 170.4

170.4/60 = 2.84

So that draft of BCBS is almost 3 "regular beers."
    joeseppy, Josbor11, dianimal and 10 others like this.
  5. Flight317

I do this all the time to figure roughly what I've had. I never dug that deep into it but definitely think tour way is much more efficient.
    J-Bonestradamus likes this.
  6. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

As far as I'm concerned, one 750 of Black Tuesday is still considered one beer.
  7. charlzm

charlzm Advocate (710) California Sep 3, 2007

I find it crazy sometimes that I'll have split a couple of bombers of big beers with a friend and realize I've had as much alcohol as a six pack of "lite" beer.
  8. LMT

LMT Savant (305) Virginia Oct 15, 2009

Brenden and J-Bonestradamus like this.
  9. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (335) New Jersey Aug 12, 2007

I don't. And maybe you might consider subtracting Bud Light from the eqation? Leave it in the past? Might leave a BAD taste in your mouth.
  10. I do something similar just to gauge how many drinks I've had. Since "a drink" in beer terms is generally defined as one 12oz, .05% ABV beer, it gives me an idea when I'm drinking higher ABV styles.
    jrnyc likes this.
  11. Flight317

When the girl asks, "I only had a couple." I know better than that though. The B word reference is because you always know how many of those you can have.
  12. Well to each their own. It's just like when I'm drunk, sometimes I'll wonder why I am so drunk. Well shit it like I drank 15 BLs haha
    Josbor11, Mongrel, Fargrow and 2 others like this.
  13. Boca-X

Boca-X Advocate (520) Missouri Jan 21, 2014

It's called a comparison...how many Bud Lights or any given beer verses the ABV of the current beer you're drinking. It's a simple math problem you can do in your head to waste time.

If I drink one DFH 120 Minute IPA at 18% ABV that would mean I have had the equivalent of 4 1/2 Bud Selects (my lawn mowing beer of choice). Of course that equivalence is ABV only, not quantity, flavor or experience ;)
    beerindaglass likes this.
  14. T-RO

I hear you, was just responding to OP premise of "how many" , like counting bottle caps. As far as alcohol consumed for calories I use 30 * abv per 12 ounces ... for drunkenness I don't convert to how many BL I've had , I know when I'm drunk :)
    BostonHops likes this.
  15. T-RO

I understand what comparison means , thanks. My point is a person would have to be pretty numb to not know that drinking an 18% abv = 4 1/2 bud selects ...
  16. Totally do this. Sometimes it scares me at the end of the night. I think to myself, "man, did I really just have 6 BL's on a weeknight?!"
    Golferallen54 likes this.
  17. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (820) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

So after a night of drinking the equivalent of 10 Bud Lights do you wake up next to the equivalent of 3 super models?
  18. I stopped worrying about "drink equivalents" and just think in terms of ABV-oz (2 buds = 120 ABV-oz). Then again I also like goofing around with units and try to use Megagrams and kiloliters whenever possible.
    Scrapss likes this.
  19. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

I don't do bud light math but whenever I give someone a high gravity beer that doesn't drink them I always warn them how many regular beers its worth. To me 5% abv is a pretty reliable average abv for beers. So bcbs is 3 regular beers, Dancing man is 1.5 etc. Its not calculating anything it justs gets you in the ball park which is all you need to know. If your driving or something and you try to do this to figure your BAC your an idiot and deserve what you get.
    BoardwalkBock likes this.
  20. ChuckHardslab

ChuckHardslab Savant (345) Texas Jan 25, 2012

.05% ABV? That would be an EXTREMELY light beer. It's either .05 ABV or 5% ABV, .05% would be .0005 ABV
  21. racer2k

racer2k Savant (330) Massachusetts May 21, 2004

I don't need to compare water to real beer thanks..
    WckdVbz likes this.
  22. loweball727

loweball727 Aficionado (205) Ohio Apr 26, 2010

All the time but in my opinion crafties hit harder. I can drink 12 bud lights and not be hurting but 4 breakfast stouts lead to a mid afternoon nap
    StLeasy likes this.
  23. Roguer

Roguer Champion (870) Connecticut Mar 25, 2013

I did this just this morning (concerned about the amount of beer I had, not the equivalent of Budweisers specifically). I figured it was about 6 or 7 beers - quite a lot, definitely. Then again, I know some people for whom 6 Bud Lights in a night isn't a rarity.

I like @Providence 's method. Using that, I had 6.67 beers. So I was pretty close.

Also, yeowch. Yeowch and advil. ;)
    creepinjeeper likes this.
  24. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

Did you mean 5%? Because I think my urine is stronger than that on most evenings.
    Josbor11, Badger72 and Roguer like this.
  25. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

I never really drank much Bud Light, I guess I kinda default to Two Hearted math. I like having the option of substituting the 16oz can into the equation now to justify things that really should not be justified.
    Providence, hardy008 and Flight317 like this.
  26. Sort of. Like @Providence I consider one 12 oz. 5% abv beer to be a standard single beer.

And I use the same equation (ounces x abv)/60

This is a must in my eyes with the high abv's of craft beer. You realize, wow, that pint of IPA at 7.5% I had is equal to almost 2 beers. That sucks, I shouldn't have drank it in 40 minutes. It can also be a nice surprise if you're having 4% or lower abv beers. You then realize, wow, that six pack of session IPAs at 4% abvv I just drank are only about 4 regular beers. I should drink more.
    Roguer likes this.
  27. I also use the ABV-oz comp
    Pretty comfy at 200, try not to go over 300 (except sometimes) ;)
  28. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Advocate (595) Virginia Jan 27, 2013

I just drink the damn beer and make sure my DD is drinking his Coke. :D
    loweball727 and DelMontiac like this.
  29. Boca-X

Boca-X Advocate (520) Missouri Jan 21, 2014

Haha...true...but maybe if he had three 120 Minutes he'd be a little on the numb side (13 1/2) :D
  30. whiterabbit

whiterabbit Aficionado (245) Ohio Jan 24, 2010

My bud light math is very, very easy.

I drink a nice quality beverage, instead of a bud light. That is one less bad decision I did not make.

I drink a second quality beverage, and bingo! Two good decisions!

Subtract one good decision with any one bud light you drink, then add sorrow
  31. mj81

mj81 Advocate (520) New Jersey Sep 11, 2013

I do this all the time too when trying to help the bmc drinkers understand why I drink so many less than them. I get weird looks and I don't care.
  32. StLeasy

StLeasy Savant (400) Illinois Sep 8, 2013

I could easily be wrong, but I don't think it's that simple.

One (12oz) 8.4% beer should result in a higher BAC and a stronger buzz/feeling of intoxication than two (12oz) 4.2% Bud Lights. It's because of the higher/stronger concentration of the 8.4%; you are drinking much more water with the Bud Lights. This is why it's very hard to get a strong buzz from <4%, it is too hydrating to cause a high enough BAC.

And though BAC is probably the easiest way to determine whether or not you should be driving, I feel I have to mention the speculation of hops having sedative properties. If this is true, there should be a strong synergy between those properties and the effects of alcohol, as is the case with combining any two depressants; "2+2=5". You might not have BAC over .08, but still be just as impaired. My point mentioning this is just to be safe- if I felt impaired but the BAC said I'm fine, I wouldn't risk it. Cheers
    ScottJWing and loweball727 like this.
  33. MykeJ

MykeJ Aficionado (180) Minnesota Oct 6, 2013

It is how I explain it to macro only friends
  34. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

You're doing this wrong.
    GenericForumName and draheim like this.
  35. Carl_R

Carl_R Savant (345) Oklahoma Mar 24, 2013

Havent tried bud light math in a while. If i need to gauge how much I have had, I can add the AVB of each and divide by the total number. I had a 9% a10% and a 5% tonight so it comes out to being three 8% beers.
  36. roger617

roger617 Savant (330) Indiana Jun 1, 2013

Every now and then I do find myself wondering how many BLEs (Bud light Equivalents) I've drank. More so because I have plenty of macro drinking friends who talk about the number of beers they drank, or plan on drinking. So if I plan ahead and want to keep even, what's the ratio of my Two Hearted cans to their Bud Lights.

The other part of this conversation, at least for me, is at what point of drinking will I wake up hungover. I have a nerdy point system that just keeps it simple. 1-12 oz beer at 7% = 7 points. A bomber at 7% = 14 points. At certain amount of points I can pretty well guess how I'll feel the next morning.
  37. No. But only because Drinking + Math do not mix. but if you are bored enough I am now opening troeg's prepetual #8.

and i only have to fall 5 feet over to my bed, and would not be so irresposible to be driving drunk.(/end judgemental rant)
    Scrapss likes this.
  38. amano_h

amano_h Savant (490) New Jersey Mar 18, 2014

I had a bible belt, a heady, and a hop drop 'n roll tonight.

which means... holy shit I had 7 bud lights tonight :mad::(:eek:
    Scrapss likes this.
  39. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Savant (495) California Mar 28, 2009

This sounds like a fun drinking game.
    Roguer, Scrapss and dianimal like this.
  40. DoubleYourD

DoubleYourD Zealot (75) Colorado May 13, 2014

This just in. Bud Light Math to replace pre-algebra in the public school system
    Homebrew, Vogt52, RyanMKE and 6 others like this.