1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bud sold 500,000 barrels of Lime-A-Rita in the first 8 months

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by sandiego67, Apr 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/04/24/budweiser-introduces-strawberry-beer/#ixzz2RR2lzlHm
    writerLJBerg likes this.
  2. Marty91

Marty91 Savant (265) Pennsylvania Feb 27, 2012

Wow.. maybe they'll come in margarita glass shaped cans.
  3. sixerofelixir

sixerofelixir Savant (380) Ohio Oct 27, 2009

8%? The forecast calls for lots of puking..
    SMITHAND, DemoniChris, sarro and 17 others like this.
  4. Danielbt

Danielbt Savant (380) Texas May 4, 2012

I would have been all over this as a teenager.
  5. heatwaves

heatwaves Savant (285) California Oct 17, 2009

I hate to think what chemical concoction they're using to create the flavors.
  6. Premo88

Premo88 Savant (490) Texas Jun 6, 2010

Is it Mr. Bernstein or Charles Foster K. who says it best in Citizen Kane?

"It's no big deal to make a lot of money if all you want to do is make a lot of money."
  7. Danielbt

Danielbt Savant (380) Texas May 4, 2012

Limes and strawberries? It's not always cheaper to use artificial ingredients over natural.
  8. Alextricity

Alextricity Advocate (700) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

My friend had one of these lying around awhile back and I had one ...

I enjoy a good margarita, but these "Can-a-ritas" taste absolutely awful.
    UnclePatches likes this.
  9. olfolxholme

olfolxholme Savant (285) California Feb 13, 2011

I was horrified how many people were drinking green metal bottles of heineken at the giants game the other night... until i realized it was BUD LIGHT LIME-ARITA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lime-Arita sounds like a stomach problem to me.
    Ford and backbaybrewer like this.
  10. Straw ber rita has been out for almost 2 months here.

Odd timing for this article
    tarawho likes this.
  11. heatwaves

heatwaves Savant (285) California Oct 17, 2009

Yes, it is always cheaper. If it wasn't, every food company would use real fruit. "100% lime flavor" does not equal "100% lime juice".
  12. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Savant (495) California Mar 28, 2009

According to the article:

"But the straw-beery drink got pretty high marks from RateBeer, an independent review board for craft beer enthusiasts.

But when I reviewed the ratings on RateBeer it got a 6....ahaha I love the schwed marketing.
    Shogun730 and Kyrojack like this.
  13. I would agree, except for the fact that there is 0% Tequila!
  14. And some seriously bad hangovers. ;)
  15. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

Reading this gave me a migraine.
  16. I had the strawberry one the other night. I don't remember what it tasted like because I was already drunk and kept getting told "it'll fuck you up." I think it was like an 8oz can which would be something like only one beer. I'm bad at math so that's probably wrong but still. People don't know what they're talking about.
    ian1976 and BedetheVenerable like this.
  17. I was more impressed that Lime-A-Rita outsold every craft beer in the US. It still appears that the big brewers can throw anything together and it still sells in big numbers.
    Rutager, LaneMeyer and tarawho like this.
  18. SaCkErZ9

SaCkErZ9 Champion (825) Florida Feb 27, 2005

Call me when they come out with "Sex on the beach-a-rita". I can just imagine the marketing on that one...
    JaysUncle likes this.
  19. This shit is classic. I need to start saving these for posterity...
  20. TacoHugs

TacoHugs Aficionado (110) Illinois Jun 29, 2011

4Loko is still the king
  21. Maybe they think the 6 is out of 10...
  22. It looks like they read the copy-pasted marketing blurb from AB-InBev above the reviews
    and called that a favorable review by Rate Beer. Pretty well in line with the journalistic standards over at Fox.
  23. benbking

benbking Savant (275) Massachusetts Dec 11, 2009

Well I didn't buy any.
  24. So what? This isn't margaritaadvocate.com
  25. I have a picture floating around of what is does to concrete if left there over time... The cans would burst in our warehouse just sitting on the pallet, liquid would reach the concrete then strip the clear coat off the floor then start deteriorating the concrete itself. After seeing that I decided I'd be staying away from then on out. Previously they had been a decent alternative to $9 dollar bud lights at a concert, now I guess the only option is pregaming...
  26. RangnaR

RangnaR Savant (405) California Dec 17, 2012

Ummm... Cinco de Mayo, maybe?
    frazbri likes this.
  27. Just goes to show what marketing can do. Hell, it seems that if they brought out something called "this stuff sucks and will make you puke" and marketed it using their existing techniques, there would be people who would buy it.
  28. Stuff's awful. Took some with me for Hunahpu's Day so that the non craft-inclined friends I was going with (none of my friends are into craft beer) could pregame or whatever. I had one and thought it was awful, then my buddies hated it too. I was tempted to bring some for the event to see if i could offer it up as a trade for some Darkness or BCBS with people in line, but figured I may just provoke a fight. Left the stuff in the hotel.

On the plus, Hunahpu's was a blast and one of my non-craft friends really enjoyed Short's Key lime Pie and hunahpu's, among others. He bought 2 bottles of hunahpu's to sell later on, but so far he's already consumed one.
  29. beergurujr

beergurujr Savant (350) Illinois Oct 27, 2003

The important 25-54 demographic ladies LOVE this 8% stuff. Same with all the A-B "Wilds", also 8%.
    Blueribbon666 likes this.
  30. I'd say the predominantly low income, African American areas have seen the best sustained sales since its release. The demand was through the roof for limearita early on but has fallen off considerably since then except for in the aforementioned parts of town. After 4 Loko was pulled from the shelves the first time, the only areas it really gained a following again was in the same areas.
  31. Prh27

Prh27 Savant (310) Virginia Apr 24, 2012

I don't think its quite that serious.
  32. beergurujr

beergurujr Savant (350) Illinois Oct 27, 2003

Dude, my customer base is like 90% caucasian, suburban, and we continue to sell a shit ton of Lime-a-rita. And now Straw-be-rita. No slowdown at all. YMMV
  33. Thads324

Thads324 Savant (390) Connecticut Jan 21, 2010

I can't wait for the rum barrel aged blood orange a Rita. Sources who are familiar with bud operations say that it will be 11.8% abv and will be released in mid September. I think the Rita series is the best yet by bud, such awesome stuff. Can't wait for strawberry, I'll be buying out the whole state!
  34. But why treat like it Lime a Rita is new, and straw ber rita is coming down the line?

They're both out. Lime has been out for a year and change.
    beergurujr likes this.
  35. Chugging Listerine tastes far better!
    stella77artois and tjosborne like this.
  36. moefriedman

moefriedman Savant (260) Illinois Feb 15, 2012

I for one kind like the Lime-a-rita. After an evening at a Mexican restaurant, sometimes you want to keep the fiesta going. And who has time to juice limes at home?
    jjanega08 likes this.
  37. Interesting indeed, around here it was on fire for about 2 months and now it sits on shelves everywhere except low income areas and large grocery stores that sell damn near everything at a decent rate. In general convinience stores around here are the primary BMC movers for the city, and it's there where limearita has died off.
  38. RangnaR

RangnaR Savant (405) California Dec 17, 2012

I do. I juice some lime every morning when I make my kale smoothie...
    SnowFlowMfg likes this.
  39. Crazy that they sold 500,000 barrels, but a fairly large craft brewer in DFH only produces a total of about 80,000 barrels per year. Mind blowing facts.
    Rizalini and AnotherImperial like this.
  40. o_O how did that happen?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.