1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bud sold 500,000 barrels of Lime-A-Rita in the first 8 months

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by sandiego67, Apr 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The short answer: AB InBev has the resources to market and distribute this alcoholic beverage.

The real questions are: how long will these –rita beverages stay on the market? Will these products last longer than Zima?

Cheers!

bomberdawg likes this.
  2. I certainly couldn't session these guys, too sweet, but I could throw back one or two while camping or by the pool.

It's essentially a non-ghetto Four Loko.

Uncleserg likes this.
  3. SaCkErZ9

SaCkErZ9 Champion (825) Florida Feb 27, 2005

Is that before or after you don't put on deodorant, do put on patchouli, dress in hemp, and get the bugs out of your "braids"?

BigStein88 and Hdredfern like this.
  4. Hopefully this will encourage Mike Judge to make a sequel to the movie Idiocracy.

"Would you like another BIG ASS strawberry-a-rita?!"

Inbev: @#!@! you, I'm drinking!

troegaarden, Falcone and jtmartino like this.
  5. abecall98

abecall98 Advocate (540) California Aug 11, 2007

It's not even bad tasting though.

A 12 pack finds it's way into my house once a month by a guest. I usually drink one each time. I just think of it like an alcoholic juice.

6. Neckbeards everywhere are irate.

7. and hangovers

8. I'm going to depart from the hivemind for a minute, and might get flammed for it - When spending a hot day on the beach, there are worse options than a Lime-A-Rita. It's not good beer, and it's not a good margarita, but it's convenient and something about having one (and really not much more than one) can hit the spot in that situation. Most of the good beers I like are a bit too heavy for the beach, anyway.

Then again, I've also been known to enjoy a Chelada on the beach (I know, fuck me, right?) from time to time. Just don't think of it as beer.

9. Also, "barrels"? At what point does this stuff spend any time in an actual barrel?

RobertColianni likes this.
  10. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

That is a shit ton of that, but the question I am curious about is where did these sales cut into. I highly doubt this has any affect on the craft beer industry. I am guessing it either switched money around from bud light and bud light lime, or stole sales from other BMC brands.

11. I see a tasty mixture in my future , half a glass of this on the rocks , topped off with purple passion........mmmm......mmmm tasty

12. weatherdog

weatherdog Savant (470) Illinois Nov 7, 2007

This is just the poor man's Margarita Sofie...pass

13. TheGoldsmith

TheGoldsmith Zealot (80) Missouri Jan 20, 2013

I tried these when they first came out and didn't find them to be on par with even the already available pre-mixed margaritas. That being said, they weren't undrinkable, and I could see the cans and small size being convenient in applications like a day on the river or whatnot. But this is Beer Advocate, and frankly I'd much rather have a great beer on the river than a sub-par margarita.

14. Yes it is and cost effective is used not cheaper.

15. I doubt there is anything "authentic" tasting about the margarita flavor. I guess I'd have to try it though to see for myself.

16. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (380) New York Jul 16, 2011

perspective:
    coca cola sold over 25 billion cases in 2010....

moral of the story? Junk food (or drinks) sell.... bigtime.

OtsegoAmigo likes this.
  17. I think they decided against it. But each purchase has a voucher. If you collect enough vouchers and send them in, you receive a hat with "I'ma Marga-READY To Party!" embroidered on the front. I've collected 15 so far.

Piddmeista and squirrely2005 like this.
  18. What's classic? The people in my story or that I talked about people who don't know what I'm talking about while I don't either. Well I didn't claim I did. I specifically said I was unsure. I'm just a little confused by which ya mean is why ask. That's all.

Anyway I can't imagine how much of this they're going to sell this week at Fiesta here in San Antonio.

19. There's tons of craft beer that never sees a barrel either. It's a unit of measurement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrel_(unit)

Chaz likes this.
  20. That really means nothing. If the Nielsens showed that 500K barrels went off the shelves that would mean the product had consumer pull. Bud could sell 500K barrels of kittylitter light in a blink of an eye without the product even hitting a retailer. It's called a 3 tier system and their shipments to the distributor is the only sale that hits their books. With their muscle and distributor contracts they basically can ship/launch any innovation on that scale.

BrettHead likes this.
  21. Neither of these beers (or any of the various micheladas for that matter) should be listed on BA.

jasonmason likes this.
  22. You might be right (particularly about the margarita mixes), but that's a slippery slope. Where do you draw the line? Should Utopias be allowed? Some (not me) might even argue that certain BA stouts have been modified too much to be beer. It's easiest to just allow anything that is marketed as "beer".

dennis3951, PaulQuinn and beergurujr like this.
  23. RandyV

RandyV Aficionado (245) Arizona Aug 8, 2010

No Justice, No Peace! No Justice, No Peace! Who's with me? Grab your torch!!!

24. It not only outsold every craft beer but it alone outsold the entire production of all except the top handful of craft breweries.

25. ISO: Mules

26. Justin Bieber has sold considerably more than 500,000 albums. What does that mean in the grand scheme? I'll let you be the judge.

I just wish it could be possible to see John Lennon bitch slap Bieber in person.

You may say I'm a dreamer...

Centennial, troegaarden, Ford and 2 others like this.
  27. BigJim5021

BigJim5021 Advocate (520) Indiana Sep 2, 2007

I'd say my customer base is pretty evenly split between white and black with a decent amount of Mexican customers as well. We haven't been selling the standard Lime-a-Ritas well as of late, but we've been selling the piss out of the Straw-be-Ritas. It's been popular amongst white and black customers, but the Mexican customers don't touch it. Probably for the same reason they don't generally buy Jose Cuervo. They know a shitty knockoff of the real deal when they see it.

OneBeertoRTA likes this.
  28. Cvescalante

Cvescalante Savant (400) Texas Dec 24, 2012

Stuff is the shit. No complaints here! Tastes like kool aid to me lol.

29. this forum makes me want to try this beverage never even had a lime-a-rita before and ive bought my share shitty drinks...something to review i reckon.

30. Dirtinabottle

Dirtinabottle Savant (395) New York Aug 21, 2012

ISO: Strawberry FT: Lime

troegaarden, Ford and RobertColianni like this.
  31. ditka311

ditka311 Aficionado (190) Illinois Aug 22, 2009

Tried it at a grocery store and was kind of shocked that it didn't suck.

32. DaKur

DaKur Savant (400) Rhode Island Nov 15, 2012

I believe they were sold but I am not convinced they were consumed.

33. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Savant (495) Florida Jun 13, 2012

Half a million barrels?

Whoda thunk that ugly, fat, drunk college girls need lovin' too? o_O

34. Sad migration toward crap, remember brethren that all beer was once good until consumers demanded cheaper beer with sparkly marketing. We need to become politically active and see that laws against beer ending in "Arita" are passed

35. I wonder what their strongest demo is for this? College Girls? Stay At Home moms? Book Clubs? Cruise Lines?

Centennial and RobertColianni like this.
  36. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (495) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

My biggest beef with mass produced malt-liquor-trying-to-taste-like-mixed-drinks drinks is that they are usually too sweet, and I'm sure these are no different. But I bet if you cut it with some liquor and drink it over ice it's probably quite tasty.

RobertColianni likes this.
  37. ...then again, whiskey is good in anything.

38. beergurujr

beergurujr Savant (360) Illinois Oct 27, 2003

MILFS

39. Siggy125

Siggy125 Savant (480) California Nov 10, 2006

and billions of flies like dog poop.

40. Last summer we helped tow a guys boat back to shore and he gave us a 12 pack of these...my goodness it was bad. But the girls who were with us actually liked it, so I guess it has its place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.