1. The BeerAdvocate Store is back! Pre-order your stuff now. Items begin shipping Dec 15. Christmas deadline = Dec 18 @ 5pm EST.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Bud sold 500,000 barrels of Lime-A-Rita in the first 8 months

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by sandiego67, Apr 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bambam2517

bambam2517 Aficionado (195) Arizona Apr 14, 2012

The Californians.....

EyePeeAyBryan and RobertColianni like this.
  2. RangnaR

RangnaR Savant (405) California Dec 17, 2012

Why don't you just get out of here! Just bear right on Malibu Canyon Road, take the onramp for 101 South, hit the 405, and just keep driving...

3. jwk7324

jwk7324 Aficionado (185) California Mar 20, 2011

It will never cross my mind that even try to find out how it tasted like..

4. Rope

Rope Aficionado (175) Illinois Apr 3, 2013

I work retail, and I can say without a doubt the Limaritas and strawberitas from Bud sell incredibly well.

Personally, I think it is a tragedy. However it is the ongoing trend in most things. The easy taste profiles of sweetness, fried, and saltiness. More and more a section of the masses don't challenge their palettes, and stick to infantile taste profiles.

There was a great article on how foods and drinks with bitterness are declining popularity wise, and the negative impact on health that has.

MortalKombat14 likes this.
  5. Im losing faith in the taste buds of America. Kind of how when im at a buffet and there are rows of neat food like crabs, shrimp, etc but people pile on the fries and pizza. If you want something strawberry lime flavored then get a wine cooler jeez

stella77artois likes this.
  6. DCgolfpro

DCgolfpro Savant (475) Maryland Oct 26, 2011

Ever had whiskey in Milk? It sucks.

Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  7. Great point. I look no further than the fact that people willingly drink Bud Light. That shows America's taste buds are "under developed", to put it politely.

8. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Advocate (500) Nevada Jan 20, 2010

I tried a Lime a Rita. It wasn't all that bad. I'm sure the strawberry one is pretty good too. I think this is just a case of hating on the big guys. Let people drink what they want to drink and quit judging.

beveritt, Mcal and beergurujr like this.
  9. kona650

kona650 Savant (270) California Jun 12, 2011

Inbev wants to thanks all college towns across the country for such great sales!!!

Budinetz likes this.
  10. My wife who doesn't like beer and likes margarita type drinks like this poured one of the strawberry ones and said it tasted to her like someone poured cough syrup into half a glass of beer , I tasted it and had to agree , it was like cough syrup poured over bud light with some seltzer water added in , probally 1/3 mix all the way around , it got drain poured

beergurujr and Mscarpen like this.
  11. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

[​IMG]

Testing out the new 24 oz pint glasses. Epic!

I_BYE_MI_BEER likes this.
  12. Mscarpen

Mscarpen Savant (345) Tennessee Apr 2, 2011

The power of branding and mass distribution! I have to admit, I did try one. Within the first few sips my frontal lobe began aching. My Sudoku skills haven't been the same since. True story

ubenumber2 likes this.
  13. This would have been all over me as a teenager.

PumaSaysRawrr and I_BYE_MI_BEER like this.
  14. I get it. But what you lose in faith in the American taste buds, you can also gain in faith of American individualism! For better, and in this case, worse.

FWIW, I always have a chuckle when we go to a buffet (especially the good seafood ones) and my old lady is filling her plate with ramen noodles and potatoes! Sweet babe, glad I paid $30 for you to put 34 cents worth of starch on your plate. . .

15. ryhayes

ryhayes Aficionado (150) Ohio Jan 21, 2013

Uhhhh what? Does this mean u can put 3 Lime-a-Rita's in it?

wrw5031 likes this.
  16. It's actually not about hating on them for being big. If this is meant to be a wine cooler or something along the lines of Mikes Hard Lemonade/Smirnoff Ice then that's ok because I enjoy my malt liquor every once in a while. I would hate on them if they tried to pass this off as a 'flavored beer'

17. Andreias21

Andreias21 Advocate (505) Florida Feb 3, 2011

Call me greedy, but the more people gulping down this crap in an effort to get wasted, the less people buying the often limited supply of craft and local brews we all love. Keep chugging your lime a Rita 45 year old divorcee. Drink it with pride.

beergurujr likes this.
  18. What's the difference? Whether it a so-called "craft" product like Dogfish Head Festina Peche or the thousands of "pumpkin/vanilla/chocolate/blueberry/cucumber/et al." beers, or a shandy from Boston Beer Co. or MC's Leinenkugel, or a Mike's/Four Loko/Joose FMB (flavored malt beverage), they're all "flavored beer" - or, as the TTB classifies them, "MALT BEVERAGES SPECIALITIES - FLAVORED".

(A standard [unflavored] malt liquor, OTOH, is a different sort of product altogether).

dennis3951 and beergurujr like this.
  19. Gunch43

Gunch43 Savant (310) Pennsylvania Jan 15, 2010

I'm pretty sure when I was in college I would of still chosen Milwaukee Beast over a Lime-a-Rita.

20. jucifer1818

jucifer1818 Savant (410) Florida May 15, 2011

wow I fell really weird about this thread. When I last tried the stuff I thought it was a pretty good offering of the fruity-malt beverage drinks category. (Low bar yea, but hey, thats the tier is in)

maybe I'm just insane, but I say good for them. their lima-a-rita tastes way better than 4-loco or mikes hard (anything), and Its not like I liked the stuff a lot, but damn it its not worth scorn

people could do a lot, lot, lot, lot, lot, lot LOT worse than Lime-a-Rita.

21. The scale of the production is even more mind-blowing (to me) when you consider that Hill Farmstead, post-expansion, will produce 1/250th (0.4%) of the volume across their entire portfolio annually as InBev produces on this one product.

22. The 500,000 barrels was done in 8 months. If you extrapolate, that is 750,000 annually which makes the numbers even more mind blowing when comparing annual production.

rondufresne likes this.
  23. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,180) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

Milk punch is a great simple cocktail... to each their own...

24. BlurryVisi0n

BlurryVisi0n Savant (325) New York Feb 25, 2011

High fructose corn syrup and FD&C Green No. 3.

25. Gross is all that comes to mind but the people come in clamoring for it...

26. BBAVUSO21

BBAVUSO21 Savant (375) New York Jan 25, 2013

sounds like stomach ache in a can

hardy008 likes this.
  27. hnandez

hnandez Savant (320) California Jun 5, 2013

This stuff tastes like a bottom shelf margarita with a couple drops of bleach....seriously

28. More power to 'em. Last thing I want is that many people after the hard to find beers.

29. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

I bet these makes REALLY fun colors when you puke after drinking 10 of them.

How are these considered beer again?

evilhead likes this.
  30. LaneMeyer

LaneMeyer Savant (390) California Mar 20, 2011

It's OK. I'll just use On Tap to turn that disgusting Lime a strawberry Rita into a delicious American Ale o_O

31. plaid75

plaid75 Champion (750) New York Jan 13, 2005

Sweet! (but artificially so)

Providence likes this.
  32. Response #2 to a recurring thread. When I saw it again, I thought, yes, they sold 500K barrels, but how many of those were actually consumed, how much is still sitting on shelves and how many were drain poured.

33. I would bet that 99.9 % was consumed (and enjoyed) and that most buyers are repeat buyers.

34. JISurfer

JISurfer Champion (960) Hawaii Dec 10, 2002

My wife wanted to try it, so we got a can of it. It was drain poured after one sip. Disgustingly wretched.

35. Thanx for ruining my day. I guess the 0.1% was the post just below yours.

36. Your welcome lol. The people I know who drink Lime-A-Rita don't like or drink beer. They drink sweet mixed drinks coolers or white Zin. Lime-A Rita is not being made for BMC drinkers, let alone BA's.

baconman91 likes this.
  37. lester619

lester619 Savant (375) Wisconsin Apr 17, 2009

I like a good margarita, but I can't imagine mixing any kind of beer with one and it not being horrific. Is there actually a bud light base with flavors mixed in, or is it a clear malt, zima like concoction? Either way I'm not interested enough to spend money to find out.

38. beergurujr

beergurujr Savant (360) Illinois Oct 27, 2003

Mmmmmm! Drinking both tall cans right now waiting for the fireworks!

Chaz likes this.
  39. beergurujr

beergurujr Savant (360) Illinois Oct 27, 2003

And.... citra!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.