1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Budweiser Black Crown Impressions

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by JulianB, Feb 13, 2013.

1. So this was poured blind tonight with some of my local tasting group. Now, I had already pallet-bombed everyone with IPAs (KRBC Just Outstanding, Surly Furious, and Bear Republic Racer 5) and DIPAs (KRBC Citra and Surly Abrasive), plus we had been drinking some homebrews. But this was surprisingly drinkable and altogether not that bad. Honestly drinking it blind I thought it was a mediocre American interpretation of a Belgian blonde. I detected a light blond color, a hint of bubblegum in the nose, and a fairly smooth, nondescript taste and finish, but nothing offensive or even unpleasant. I don't really see how this qualifies as an "amber lager" (in terms of either color or taste), but I'm not ashamed to admit I liked it for what it was. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy it but I certainly wouldn't turn my nose down at it if I'm at a party. That all being said, I don't really know what market they are aiming for with this, other than people who might like the Shock Top/Blue Moon style of non-hoppy faux-craft but won't buy anything that doesn't come with a BMC label.

Anyone else tried this (especially under blind circumstances) and care to weigh in?
    Hanzo, Brew33 and YogiBeer like this.
  2. read my review, ASAP!
  3. GFG

GFG Savant (295) North Dakota Oct 24, 2012

Shitty. That's all my review consists of.

My friend gave me some one night. Just tasted like a Budweiser with a little bit more taste to me.
    dman5400 likes this.
  4. pure garbage would rather have a regular budweiser
  5. TMoney2591

TMoney2591 Champion (895) Illinois Apr 21, 2009

MrMcGibblets likes this.
  6. jtierney89

jtierney89 Initiate (0) New Jersey Aug 15, 2011

black crown is overly sweet, doesnt even do the shitt budweiser name justice
  7. einhorn

einhorn Savant (345) California Nov 3, 2005

Best quote from the reviews: "I will continue to buy this beer until it inevitably becomes discontinued."
    kuhndog and boilermakerbrew like this.
  8. Tasted like Budweiser with sugar added. Not exactly but I'm sure you get what I mean. It also left a nasty taste in the back of my throat.
  9. Beck's Sapphire sucked so bad that it made me not want to try Black Crown.
    dman5400 and DrewShal9 like this.
  10. Demer

Demer Aficionado (215) New Jersey Dec 13, 2010

Beers terrible
  11. JAramini

JAramini Savant (320) New York Jun 5, 2005

I feel like a lot of these opinions are colored by the general perception of Budweiser. I think it tasted like a somewhat sweeter Yuengling. I'd prefer a Yuengling, but this is hardly the abomination it's being made out to be.
    Revenant, NickyDee21, vader06 and 2 others like this.
  12. SteelersX

SteelersX Savant (420) New York Jan 30, 2011

Man how do they make such bad beer?
    Even my homebrew screw ups are better tasting than this crap.
    volta and craigo19 like this.
  13. wont even drink it
    Bradystraps likes this.
  14. buddha5050

buddha5050 Savant (315) Michigan Sep 27, 2012

To be fair it is not even close to attempting a "craft" type beer, but for what it is and who it is from it's not horrible, could be far worse. The only thing I can't get over is a sanitizer solution taste, weird...
  15. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

In the world of $2.50 bombers of macro lagers, I didn't think it was terrible.
  16. Its better than I thought it would be. Would I buy it again? No. But I've had at least 50 worse beers. Although a lot of those were made by the same company
  17. brywhite

brywhite Savant (320) California Aug 27, 2009

For some reason my area has been getting fairly fresh, 2 week old Budweiser lately which seems strange to me because I thought it sat around on shelves... So.. My brother-in-law drinks it and I buy Bud for when he's around. So I had one. I hate to say but "semi-fresh" Bud is pretty decent for what it is and (to me) a preferred option to Diet Pepsi or Coke or other soft drink. One night (morning 3:00 AM) I woke up thirsty after eating some salty double pepperoni pizza for dinner...went to the fridge, grabbed a Bud and damn! That hit the spot! Delicious. Pounded and back to sleep in 30 seconds.

The Black Crown tastes like a sweeter Bud. IMHO I'd rather have the regular stuff & from an aluminum can/bottle
  18. Brew33

Brew33 Advocate (610) Ohio Oct 24, 2007

Blind don't lie.
  19. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (465) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

You think Bud sits around? They have a 90 day drink by date. Same as Stone. Shit flys in 30 racks. The volume and turn vs craft is impressive to say the least. Can't imagine how long a 30 rack would take me these days. Would be like waterboarding.
    LMT likes this.
  20. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Champion (930) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

there needs to be a "read the reviews" sticky in this forum. :(
    TMoney2591 likes this.
  21. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

I was thinking the same thing. I haven't tried it yet but I doubt I'd hate it.
  22. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

Is discussing thoughts on a particular beer in the forum as opposed to just reading the reviews against forum rules? Serious question.
  23. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Champion (930) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

I think it's as redundant and pointless as asking any other FAQ-sort of question that is already answered in a formal & significant part of the website.
  24. Actually, it's now 110 days, but I agree unlikely it's "sits around" - that's a good way to lose an AB distributorship.
    [​IMG]
  25. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Advocate (595) Virginia Jan 27, 2013

Haven't had one and refer to its dad as "ditch water". I still would like to try it blind and give it a fair shot.
  26. If it's by Bud, it's an automatic pass. Black Crown is not much different than any of their other highly marketed garbage for the sheeple masses.
    jtdolla911 and dc4three like this.
  27. Kerrie

Kerrie Savant (440) Michigan Aug 24, 2012

The review made my night! That said, I'm almost willing to try a single (only $1 at my local grocery store) just out of morbid curiosity.
    StonedTrippin and ChefHopMeister like this.
  28. buzze40

buzze40 Savant (300) Illinois Mar 9, 2010

Worst commercials of the Superbowl. The beer for people who dress all in black.......
  29. I love me some bUD though nowadays lean more towards Yuengling-and regular BUD not lite, ice, select, etc. Thought the Black Crown was ok, not worth the 8 bucks I paid. Still have 4 left. I'd rather have me a good ole plain BUD over Black Crown. My brother in FL whose middle name is basically BUD (bottles not cans) said the same thing.
    Mattyb79 likes this.
  30. Mattyb79

Mattyb79 Savant (440) Virginia Dec 11, 2012

I find it quite funny you say it is an automatic pass because of the company and then actually make a comparison to their other beers. Exactly how would you know? This falls under the group of people on this site that hate ABI because its cool....no real valid reason, just because. I like BEER, some is better than others, but I'm not going to turn up my nose to any beer without giving it a try. I especially wouldn't have the idiocy to then give my opinion of said beer. Sometimes people amaze me.
  31. Maybe the "idiocy" comes from my experience in libation and understanding the long running flavor profile that Budweiser has been producing for years. Bud, Bud Light, Michelob, etc. and now Black Crown, it's all within the same flavor profile.

Go buy a clue and report back once your palate and attitude has matured. Yep, people, uh, sheeple, do amaze me as well. Cheers.
  32. I thought it was okay. I wouldn't drink it regularly. Definitely nothing close to a craft beer.
  33. nc41

nc41 Advocate (600) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Not really interested, I just assumed it's a Fat Tire clone, and I don't like Fat Tire.
  34. BeerNDoggerel

BeerNDoggerel Savant (330) Illinois Mar 13, 2011

Black Crown Golden Amber Lager?

Sounds to me like somebody took the wrong lesson from the popularity of Black India Pale Ales...
    beerme411 and RyanLigeia like this.
  35. Classic review and yet another testimonial how "Bud" never changes and is still the swill it always has been. Well done ST!
    jtdolla911 and StonedTrippin like this.
  36. acevenom

acevenom Advocate (545) Louisiana Oct 7, 2011

My opinion of it is the same as when it was called something else in the Project 12 pack. I think it's a good beer. If someone likes regular Budweiser, they will probably like Black Crown.
  37. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

Even more awesome the second time I read it!!!
    ChefHopMeister and StonedTrippin like this.
  38. GennyCreamAle

GennyCreamAle Initiate (0) New York Feb 25, 2009

You know this beer may taste bad, but I probably will not accept someone who believes their highly advanced palate allows them to evaluate a beers taste without actually tasting it tell me it's a terrible beer.
  39. cornontherob

cornontherob Zealot (90) New York Oct 15, 2011

Plenty of micro brew for me to try first, no need to try
  40. The point being made is I'm familiar with the flavor profile Budweiser produces and it's not to my liking, thus, no need to try it and I pass on it. If being in tune with ones plate and familiar with a particular flavor profile is an evaluation, well, OK. But it's still a pass on Bud Black "crap" Crown. Now go drink some good beer. Drink well my friend.