1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Budweiser Black Crown Impressions

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by JulianB, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Dope

Dope Advocate (600) Massachusetts Oct 5, 2010

I try to give every beer a fair shake, regardless of who made it and what style it is.

I actually didn't mind it at all. It tasted like bud platinum (ie: nondescript sweet grainy malt) with a little bit of herbal/medicinal hops to give it more of a typical amber/red lager taste. The comparison someone made to Yuengling definitely hit home, I gave both of them similar reviews. The bud is sweeter but similar. Pretty unoffensive and plain, both of them. I think I gave them both scores in the 3.0-ish range (Yuengling a little better).

Dope

2. kvgomps

kvgomps Savant (400) Massachusetts Feb 10, 2013

The Audi one was pretty bad...

raffels and buzze40 like this.
  3. TheGoldsmith

TheGoldsmith Zealot (80) Missouri Jan 20, 2013

The beer guy at our HyVee popped the top on one for me last time I was there without my asking and poured a small tasting. Obviously not ideal conditions, but I found it less off-putting than I expected. The biggest thing I got from it was the taste of carbonation, with just hints of other aspects. Would I drink it if it were free? Given no better options, sure. Would I buy or recommend it, no. But then I avoid buying macro (Esp. Bud) less on quality issues and more in protest of their business practices.

jtdolla911 and GardenWaters like this.
  4. I didn't think it was horrible, I kind of enjoyed it. But the first time I had one it had this weird metallic taste, it tasted like someone dropped a nickel in the bottle for a week. I had another bottle about a week later, and I thought it was much closer to the flavor that I tasted in the Project 12 version. Overall I wouldn't say it's a bad beer, if for some reason I could only drink BMC beer, it's be one of my first choices.

5. I would try it (not with high expectaions of course). Until then, I wont hate on it simply because it's not craft. After all, I'm sure we've all had at least one horrible craft beer at some point in time.

6. Brad007

Brad007 Advocate (620) Vermont Mar 28, 2007

Wasn't impressed.

Yet another dull amber lager that smells just like Budweiser!

7. Brad007

Brad007 Advocate (620) Vermont Mar 28, 2007

My perception is that it is just more mediocre sewer water from A-B.

If you want something drinkable and better thought out, Coors Batch 19 is the way to go.

8. fx20736

fx20736 Advocate (520) New York Mar 7, 2009

Just a thought because I haven't tried it; isn't Michelob an amber lager? I hear Michelob is plummeting in sales. this might be a way to re-use that recipe (or something similar) with a new name.

9. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (405) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

How dare you say something sensible like this and on BA no less....

10. bismarksays

bismarksays Savant (480) Iowa Dec 7, 2008

It was tolerable, but not really impressive. I have to say, I prefer Miller's effort of 3rd Shift.

11. buzze40

buzze40 Savant (310) Illinois Mar 9, 2010

Black Crown is a good example of why craft brewing has nothing to worry about from the big beer makers.

You can talk about shelf space and taking over small labels but the fact is these very large companies spend a LOT of money and take alot of time to make anything new or change. Im sure there were hundreds of focus groups for the taste, label design and dont even think of how much they paid someone to come up with the commercials. And the result is a beer that is a very mainstream amber ale or, as the marketers Im sure came up with, Golden Amber ale. (someone look into starting a new beer category).

jtdolla911 likes this.
  12. jrnyc

jrnyc Advocate (640) New York Mar 21, 2010

Thats is some great review!

13. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I have to be honest no Budweiser product is really terrible, not to say I drink them. They are AAL they are for the most part flavorless, over carbonated, and harmless. Steel Reserve is awful, Micky's is awful, but a Bud won't kill you, it's not a drain pour. They appeal to the mainstream, that's where they make their money, if they did a great IPA they would lose money as only beer geeks would drink it and they'd stop brewing it. If it's my company I brew for the 95% not the 5.

TheJollyHop likes this.
  14. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,110) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

Sounds like you nailed it regarding the marketing campaign. As for the beer itself, I haven't tried it so I'll reserve judgment... not that I'm in any massive hurry to try it. I've not had the best of experiences from InBev-Ab's other craft beer wannabees, and I can see no reason to expect a similar result with this. However, I won't go and bad mouth it till I actually try it.

15. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (495) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

No doubt this is true. Budweiser particularly tries, and usually succeeds, at making products that are as inoffensive as possible. It's hard to lend much credence to a review that says it is "terrible." It's not good, but it's an American Adjunct Lager, and not a bad one of those.

16. Jason

Jason Founder (1,365) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

I thought that was PBR. ;-)

Terrapin8 likes this.
  17. Huzzah, that was brilliant.

StonedTrippin likes this.
  18. While a lot of you say you should appreciate it for what it is (a cheap macro), I can't help but be a bit annoyed by this beer. While I respect your opinions, I can't help but feel like Bud is trying to pass it off as something that it isn't. Right now the BMCs are scratching their heads trying to come up with a solution to the "craft beer" problem that has been chipping away at their profits. One of their strategies is coming up with faux-craft beer to sell at slightly higher price points, somewhere between their regular stuff and craft. I can't help but feel like they still don't really "get it". And that's what annoys me. If you love it, I'm cool with that. It's the dismissive attitude from the big macros towards craft beer that makes me grind my teeth.

19. Something I posted in a previous thread:

“People respond really well to Budweiser Black Crown, which has a little more body and color and a touch more hop character than our flagship Budweiser lager…”

There is no ‘secret’ there. Anheuser-Busch is jumping into the proven American Amber Adjunct Lager market. Budweiser Black Crown sounds exactly like the established beers of Yuengling Traditional Lager and Shiner Bock.

MillerCoors is also now making American Amber Adjunct Lagers similar to Budweiser Black Crown beers: Batch 19 and Third-Shift.

Just another marketing exercise from a BMC brewery trying to grow into the fringes of the craft beer market.

Cheers!

20. misterid

misterid Savant (270) Wisconsin Apr 3, 2009

oh, look, another thread bashing Budweiser/Miller/Coors

ubenumber2 likes this.
  21. I bought it for the bottlecap recently. If you hold your nose, tilt your head way back, open your throat and have a Green Flash West Coast IPA opened and handy for a chaser...it has a nice bottlecap.

22. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (385) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

People actually get paid to brew beer this bad? Crazy!

23. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,110) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

Just my two cents, but why not just skip the black crown part of this exercise and go right to the GF IPA. That way you'll have plenty of room for a second glass of GF IPA, which I think will probably be a lot more enjoyable for you.

24. Judgie

Judgie Savant (425) Indiana Nov 21, 2012

So, at the liquor store last night as I am buying 2 mixed 6er's of IPA's & DIPA's, the clerk says, "Have you tried Budweiser Black Crown yet?" Before I can answer, he says sheepishly, " I'm sorry, we are supposed to ask." Felt kind of bad for the young lad.

I might try one if I could buy just one.

25. Mattyb79

Mattyb79 Savant (485) Virginia Dec 11, 2012

No lack of maturity here, just pointing out that you are giving your opinion of a beer you haven't tried because of who it is brewed by. I'm no fan of budweiser if better choices are available, but I won't turn my nose up to it if it is offered. Again, even in your reply here, you are comparing the flavor profiles of bud light, bud, and michelob to a beer you haven't tasted. It would be similar to saying that I hated the flavor profile of FBS so I'm not trying FIS because I know it sucks. The OP asked for impressions of the beer and is getting tons of responses from people who haven't even tried it. That is the idiocy part I speak of.

26. You are right about that. I was in a remote area at the time and would have brought another bottle of something else had I really thought about it so I could dump the Black Frown. The buzz was more important at the time. Again, though, A-B makes nice caps, and I try to get them any way I can without buying it. Gimmick ones like this usually disappear from the shelves pretty quickly, so I was forced to shell out 3 bucks for a cap and headache. Mmm...Green Flash....

27. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Savant (480) Minnesota Aug 21, 2005

The biggest laugh I get on all the macros is the high scoring reviews are often from accounts that have nothing other than a couple of that breweries' beers reviewed. ;)

jtdolla911 likes this.
  28. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (545) New York Jun 11, 2007

Personally, I don't see what merit that tasting could possibly have. In my early days, I would occasionally grab Miller High Life for a post-bike ride beer, so I knew what to expect from a can of that. One day, I had it after having just one other drink - half of a bomber of Stone Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout. The Miller tasted almost literally like carbonated water. There was a tiny, tiny little bit of of taste to it, but it was almost entirely flavorless.

Now, maybe I just have a weak pallet, but I can't imagine forming any kind of opinion on a macro brewed amber lager after having already consumed nearly half a dozen other beers with far more intense profiles. Then again, if I'd started my night off with Furious and Racer 5, I wouldn't even have had the Abrasive until another date, as I feel my enjoyment of it would be diminished. So maybe I'm just weird.

29. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

Blind tastes will one day be necessary before forming any opinion on beers.

I hope

30. it could be a decent beer I'm still not going to support budweiser

jtdolla911 likes this.
  31. dman5400

dman5400 Aficionado (245) Illinois Jan 13, 2011

Just did a black crown and sapphire side by side. Needless to say I wore a hat and sunglasses to the liquor store. The black crown was more malty, which was ok at first, but that bitter, skunky, fail they call budweiser came through. The sapphire actually was a litttle smoother and I may have tasted a hop lol. I was able to drink the sapphire a little longer, but definitely both drain pours.

32. Not blind. Had some at a BBQ a few weeks back. While it wasn't great, I totally thought it was surprisingly drinkable for what it was. Would not buy it myself, but if someone brings it to a cookout again and I have no beer, I'll drink it up.

33. Jacurdy60

Jacurdy60 Savant (355) Alabama Jan 23, 2013

I poured a regular bud and a black crown side by side this weekend. There is absolutely no difference in appearance. Black crown only tastes a touch more alcoholic. That beer won't last long.

34. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

I tried this last night. I was already kinda drunk and my palate was a smidge compromised. It wasn't bad. I remember it being sweet, almost like a fuller-bodied Magners cider. Nothing great but I'd drink this from time to time.

35. I just wanted to put in my 2 cents. I recently mixed my own sixer and saw this and thought, "What the hell?" Well........ It didn't taste bad. Nor was it great. Just another lager, imo. Everyone on here is making it out to taste absolutely putrifying, but honestly, it didn't have much flavor at all. And in all honesty, I would rather drink this than beers like Pumking anyday (I'm not comparing these beers in any way, shape, or form other than to say I would rather drink this over the other). No, I wont be going out and buying any of this stuff, but if I was in a bar, I would take this over a Dud-Light.

36. great so you destroyed some pallets and got tipsy and then tried black crown and it was ok. helpful.

37. “Well........ It didn't taste bad. Nor was it great. Just another lager, imo. Everyone on here is making it out to taste absolutely putrifying, but honestly, it didn't have much flavor at all.”

I have not had a chance to try Black Crown yet; it has not been on tap at any of the beer bars that I frequent.

You made specific mention of “but honestly, it didn't have much flavor at all.” It seems to be very popular for BAs to use words like “piss”, “crap”, etc., to describe AAL beers like Budweiser, etc. I personally never ‘get’ the use of those descriptors. To me, a beer like Budweiser does not taste “bad”; my objection to that beer (and others like it) is that it is flavorless and therefore not an enjoyable beer to drink.

Cheers!

38. Revenant

Revenant Savant (350) Minnesota Aug 8, 2012

Not a Lager fan.