1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Budweiser Brewmasters Battle, Anheuser-Busch Releases Final Six Small-Batch ZIP Code Named Beers

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Todd, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (1,440) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Does anyone recall Anheuser-Busch mass trademarking ZIP codes last year?

Six Small-Batch Beers from Budweiser Brewmasters, Named for the ZIP Codes Where They're Brewed, Being Sampled Nationwide This Summer

Consumer Feedback Will Determine Three Beers for Fall Sampler Pack

ST. LOUIS (July 19, 2012) – Call it a friendly competition, one best argued over a bottle or pint. Its name is "Project 12." Twelve Anheuser-Busch brewmasters at Budweiser's 12 geographically dispersed breweries worked together to create their own "tribute" beers to fit the Budweiser brand's reputation for quality and consistency. The assignment pays homage to Budweiser's "clean and crisp" taste by using the proprietary yeast directly descended from the original Budweiser yeast culture used by Adolphus Busch in 1876 and still used by Budweiser today.

Through internal tasting and analysis, the 12 small-batch beers – each a lager using all-natural ingredients – were pared to six to take part in a summer-long, nationwide sampling effort. Consumer feedback will help Budweiser narrow the six beers to three for inclusion in a limited-edition sampler pack, available for purchase this fall.

"We asked our Budweiser brewmasters to each submit a beer idea in styles that consumers have shown interest in," said Rob McCarthy, vice president of Budweiser. "From those 12 ideas, we narrowed it to the six best. Our brewmasters have been working in small teams this spring and early summer to perfect these six and now it's time for consumers to let us know what they think."

To launch the six sampler beers, private events with brewmasters are scheduled to take place in August in all 12 A-B brewery cities: St. Louis, Mo.; Merrimack, N.H.;Baldwinsville, N.Y.; Newark, N.J.; Williamsburg, Va.; Cartersville, Ga.; Jacksonville, Fla.;Columbus, Ohio; Houston, Texas; Fort Collins, Colo.; Fairfield, Calif.; and Los Angeles, Calif.

Each small batch Budweiser is distinguished by the ZIP code where the beer is brewed. Among the six beers being sampled this summer and the brewmasters behind them:

[​IMG]
    • Budweiser Small Batch 91406 (Los Angeles): A deep-amber lager with 6 percent ABV that uses four different types of hops. The beer is brewed by brewmaster Bryan Sullivan in Los Angeles and was developed in collaboration with Scott Ungermannin Fairfield and Dave Cohen in Houston.
    • Budweiser Small Batch 63118 (St. Louis): A deep-gold 5 percent ABV American lager that uses the same types of hops (Hallertau and Tettnang) commonly used at the St. Louis brewery during the 19th century. The beer is brewed in St. Louis by brewmaster Jim Bicklein and was developed in collaboration with Katie Rippelfrom Fort Collins.
    • Budweiser Small Batch 43229 (Ohio): A light-amber lager using eight different types of hops with 6 percent ABV. The beer is brewed in Columbus, Ohio, and was the brainchild of the brewery's general manager, Kevin Lee and developed with assistant brewmasters Travis Burge and Tyler Hunter.
    • Budweiser Small Batch 23185 (Virginia): A light-amber all-malt bourbon cask lager aged on bourbon staves and vanilla beans and with an ABV of 5.5 percent. The beer is brewed by Daniel Westmoreland in Williamsburg and was developed in collaboration with Mike Anderson in Jacksonville and Dan Kahn in Cartersville.
    • Budweiser Small Batch 13027 (New York): A bright-golden lager brewed with six imported and domestic hops and with an ABV of 7 percent. The beer is brewed in Baldwinsville, N.Y., by brewmaster Nick Mills in consult with general managerSteve McCormick.
    • Budweiser Small Batch 80524 (Colorado): A deep-gold, filtered wheat beer with 5.2 percent ABV using lemon peel, orange peel and coriander. The beer is brewed by Katie Rippel in Fort Collins and was developed by Nick Mills in Baldwinsville,Otto Kuhn in Merrimack and Tiago Darocha in Newark.
    "The key to this project was the common yeast – which is a very important and often under-appreciated contributor to the flavor and aroma of beer," said Jane Killebrew-Galeski, director of brewing, quality and innovation for Anheuser-Busch. "We are proud of all these beers – the variety and the quality – but we want consumer feedback. So, we're looking forward to what we hear when we sample this summer. Our objective is to allow our brewmasters to show some creativity, but the beers must fit the hallmarks the Budweiser brand is respected for, such as quality and consistency, and have a very crisp and clean taste."

Anheuser-Busch's commitment to quality and spirit of innovation are at the foundation of the company's history and continue to be it defining characteristics. This passion helped the company expand from a local St. Louis brewery to a leader in the industry. Today, Budweiser's recipe for success brings together its proud heritage and talented teams to brew, package and sell some of the most popular beers in the world.

The six sampler beers also will be sampled during "Budweiser Made in America" over Labor Day weekend in Philadelphia. The two-day music festival benefits United Way and will culminate following a summer of music parties in cities all across America in which Budweiser will invite its Facebook fans to experience talented local bands and artists and sample some of these news beers along with local food in Los Angeles, Phoenix, Denver, Dallas, St. Louis, Chicago, Cincinnati, Nashville, Miami, Boston and New York City.

For more information on Budweiser's Project 12, visit http://www.anheuser-busch.com/Project12

About Budweiser
    Budweiser, an American-style lager, was introduced in 1876 when company founder Adolphus Busch set out to create the United States' first truly national beer brand – brewed to be universally popular and transcend regional tastes. Each batch of Budweiser follows the same family recipe used by five generations of Busch family brewmasters. Budweiser is a medium-bodied, flavorful, crisp and pure beer with blended layers of premium American and European hop aromas, brewed for the perfect balance of flavor and refreshment. Budweiser is made using time-honored methods including "kraeusening" for natural carbonation and Beechwood aging, which results in unparalleled balance and character. The brand celebrates great times and has used the phrase "Grab Some Buds" in advertising since 2010.

About Anheuser-Busch
    Based in St. Louis, Anheuser-Busch is the leading American brewer, holding a 47.7 percent share of U.S. beer sales to retailers. The company brews Budweiser and Bud Light, two of the world's largest-selling beers. Anheuser-Busch is a major manufacturer of aluminum cans and has been a leading aluminum recycler for more than 30 years. The company is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Anheuser-Busch InBev, the leading global brewer, and continues to operate under the Anheuser-Busch name and logo. For more information, visit http://www.anheuser-busch.com

###

2. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

I for one am really glad to see that ABiB is allowing their brewmasters some creative freedom to create small-batch brews... they've got some really talented people working at all their breweries!

3. Mavajo

Mavajo Advocate (550) Georgia Feb 10, 2007

Too bad they limited themselves to moderate ABV lagers.

The Virginia one sounds interesting, but seriously, 5% ABV beer aged in bourbon barrels?

lancecenter likes this.
  4. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Not sure how I feel about crisp and oak/ vanilla in the same bottle. Isn't the whole point of oaking something to add richness and tannin?

I think this is an interesting idea and hopefully a step in the right direction. If there is an honest attemp made by BMC to create and market beers that are truelly higher quality brew that people like then I am all for it. Key word being "honest".

The beer will speak for itself.

5. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

"but the beers must fit the hallmarks the Budweiser brand is respected for, such as quality and consistency, and have a very crisp and clean taste."

This is where they went wrong.

lancecenter, divineaudio and volta like this.
  6. Bonis

Bonis Savant (410) Ohio Jul 28, 2010

So what, a bunch of lagers??? Some of them sound promising with the number of hop varieties, but will we even be able to taste hops? I'm just pessimistic. The bourbon and wheat sound alright, but I'm a little disappointed that my home city of Columbus couldn't come up with something better than a 6% amber lager. Seems like AB doesn't understand the drinking community they are trying to appeal to. We want ALES for crying out loud. Sure, some lagers are good, but let's face it, ales are where it's at.

7. REIFICATION

REIFICATION Disciple (60) Illinois Oct 20, 2011

Lagers can be super exciting just look at a brewery like Jack's Abby. They only make lagers but yet the amount of flavor and variety they are able to produce while still remaining refreshing and sessionable actually makes them one of the most exciting craft breweries for me.

8. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

I actually think it was a good idea to stick with Lagers. They're staying with what put Budweiser on top and have. If they had all come out with a bunch of wildly different beers using different yeasts, then it would seem more gimmicky to me, not that this isn't gimmicky.

That being said, I don't imagine they really had the creative freedom this release suggests. There was probably a steering committee and organizational approval for every step.

Also note the locations. Colorado is the only one with much of a craft-centric reputation.

9. Bunch of haters.
    If a craft brewery did this, you guys would all be excited for it.

ABi is damned if they do and damned if they don't with you guys.
    I'm gonna give it a shot, I've been digging on Amber Lagers lately, if they don't throw a bunch of rice in the malt bills, i'm sure there will be a few tasty beers in the bunch.

10. frazbri

frazbri Advocate (635) Ohio Oct 29, 2003

The concept is cool, but the results are: 4 amber/golden lagers, 1 wheat lager, and 1 bbl lager. The one that sticks out is the bourbon barrel, but that sounds a lot like Kentucky Bourbon Barrell Ale from Lexington. (if the result is similar, I'd prefer the amber/gold lagers) All that said, I'm a little curious what these beers will taste like, but I'm not going to be stalking budweiser trucks, in anticipation of thier release.

11. Theres a local Bourbon Barrel Lager from Fullsteam Brewery in Durham, and it worked out fantastically.

12. I'll try them, I wouldn't expect a lot of hops in the ones mentioning 6 or 8 varieties - ok, that sounds weird, what I mean is they use a variety of hops in Bud and Bud Light so none of them are identifiable, helps keep the product consistent. Been a while since I went on the tour but I think they even had some Columbus

The Hallertau and Tettnang one I'd look forward too, Tett is a favorite of mine

ed: Re: the number of varieties in Bud
    http://greatbrewers.com/brand/budweiser-family

or from an AB wholesaler
    http://www.abwholesaler.com/group01/absalesoftulsa/OurBrands/BEERINGREDIENTS

Using a ton of hops, so that nothing is identifiable except "there's a little bit of hop" here is one of their methods.

13. BigTomZ

BigTomZ Savant (315) Virginia Apr 14, 2009

Dude it isn't because they are AB. It is because none of these beers are very creative. The Virginia one is a little outside the box, at least for Bud, but it still doesn't excite me. I doubt too many BA's would be excited even if LA or GI were brewing these. Craft beer fans want flavor. Based on the description, and what we have historically seen from Bud, it is hard to be optimistic about these. They could still brew lagers that are both creative and still interest the masses.
    Maybe they could take that wheat beer and throw it in some rum barrels?

How about a nice fresh summer lager with a good hop bite we can taste (think lager version of zombie dust)?

Maybe some kind of spiced lager, maybe using a different spice blends for different holidays or times of year?

Cincy_Hop_Head and DavoleBomb like this.
  14. I just waisted a few minutes of my life reading about Budweiser. I have never been excited or interested in what they are doing.

Cincy_Hop_Head likes this.
  15. DavoleBomb

DavoleBomb Advocate (605) Ohio Mar 29, 2008

The other six that didn't make the cut probably brewed half decent beers, for which they were disqualified.

16. Ugh. Concentrating on lager is fine if you want varying degrees of average but if we have an average brewer (or less than) they will pursue the average consumer. But hey, they got some press. It appears that the only way AB can get a semi-quality beer in their stable is by buying someone elses. All that money and technology and experience and the best they create is Shock Top and a headache? Good luck with that.

17. Lipstick on a pig...

18. you are all missing the point. These are brewery only releases. You don't go for these beers you go for the epic bottles share the night before.

19. porkinator

porkinator Savant (250) California Aug 26, 2009

lol @ "small batch"

I'm actually interested in trying these. Who knows, they might be great!

20. Bourbon barrel budweiser..never thought I'd see the day..

21. Slogan: "Sipability"

porkinator likes this.
  22. JohnQ

JohnQ Aficionado (125) California Jul 7, 2012

I seem to recall that there were 1 oe 2 regional breweries that had brew named after a particular city.Somewhere in the Midwest IIRC.As part of a whole attempt to get a piece of the market I believe I did hear where they bought the rights or trademarked some Zip codes.Is that even possible?This also seems to be along those lines.Most likely due to the fact that craft beer is 1 of the biggest growing markets as of late.I wouldn't count them out as inferior attempts,but I would be very skeptical.Plus no BUD drinker would even be willing to spend an extra penny for something other than Bud.IMHO

23. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (340) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

24. My guess is the Bourbon one is based in some way on their "Winter's Bourbon Cask" beer AKA "Artificial Vanilla Cream Sodacicle"

25. kmatlack

kmatlack Savant (340) California Mar 29, 2010

Endstate:

ABinbev could one day make a great beer but I still wouldn't buy/drink it. Because the goal for them is capitalism and not "Let's be a productive member in the craft beer scene who doesn't put other breweries down.", I won't spend money on their shit. I fully understand that for big business like that, the almighty dollar trumps all, but I can't stand idly by and sample their piss poor experimental lagers while they attempt to muscle out all the small breweries that we love. This includes not buying GI.

And if I've seen it before, ill see it a thousand more fucking times: "Oh well your just a d-bag kmatlack, if you don't buy BCBS then thats just more on the shelves for me....Ha ha ha ha yeah, bro."

fields336 and Pahn like this.
  26. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

if AB is letting those brewmasters express some creativity, good for them. i definitely won't be buying any of it though.

JohnnyTightLips and kmatlack like this.
  27. So far I've tried #23185 bourbon / vanilla and the #63118 pilsner [that might be close to the original Bud of the 19th century].
    I have enjoyed both and look forward to trying the rest of this series.
    This would be good "Gateway Beer" for ale lovers to try.

28. Alltruistic consumerism. I really do admire those who can boycott all forms of mega-corporate evil.
    Llike they say, you gotta be able to "walk the walk" before you got the right to any "talk".
    Naturally, you boycott all forms of fast food, processed food, "big box" stores and all other consumable goods that have put millions of folks [like small farmers] out of business.
    Bravo.

5thOhio likes this.
  29. bushycook

bushycook Aficionado (240) Virginia Jan 31, 2011

I had the 23185 a few weeks ago and, yeah, it actually wasn't half bad once it warmed a little.

30. Spaceloaf

Spaceloaf Aficionado (215) Oregon Nov 27, 2008

Bravo on your strawman argument as well. The question is whether or not there are better local alternatives.

In the case of beer, one of the main benefits of micro-brew is that it's a local endeavor where the brewery often becomes part of the beer culture. Unique one-offs on tap, collaborations with other local breweries, holding festivals, fundraisers for local charities, etc, these are all things that InBev will never be able to duplicate. Even if their beer quality miraculously increased, there are still better alternatives easily available so why would I ever buy from InBev?

Likewise, at least where I live there are plenty of local fast-food options (local chains, food carts, etc.). I haven't set foot in a national/global fast food chain in years.

On the other hand, the last time I checked there was no way to get an locally built phone, car, etc. Those are things that by their very nature require large corporations and global exploitation. You can be against that exploitation but also realize that you don't have any viable alternatives.

It is not an all or nothing proposition that says if you don't support InBev you can't support any company anywhere.

31. You are quite wrong about not being able to source the US made "neccessities" like a phone and a car.
    I can furnish you with both items just as quickly as you can send me your money.
    Save me from the Cesar Chavez rhetoric, unless you are truly and completely off grid. Don't say it can't be done, either.
    In the meantime, the 3 brews in this Budweiser 12 pack are well worth trying [unless you are one of those who are trying to save the "Craft Beer World"]
    This beer is for those who would enjoy what tastes like home brewed lager from a mass producer..so it's quite a novelty.

5thOhio likes this.
  32. Spaceloaf

You will have to provide more info on that.

Literally everything electronic is at least partially manufactured in Asia. Everything from the metals used to the components, plastics, and everything else depends on the global economy. You are either delusional or you drive around in a Flintstones car.

Further, you completely missed the point. There is nothing wrong with people choosing to support local beer but drive a Japanese car. Consumer advocacy is always tempered by convenience. We all agree that pollution is bad, but it doesn't mean that we can't be environmentalists unless we renounce electricity.

Quite frankly, your extreme views are insane, but whatever man. That's just more micro-brew for me.

33. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

^^ THIS

34. News Flash..!!
    You can still support your local brewers, you can still support craft brewers all across our land and you can STILL manage to sneak a few of these Buds down the hatch without making 1 spit's worth of difference in that vast ocean of beer out there....
    or...
    you can decide to hold steadfast to your sworn duty to denounce any and all evil doings that are going on in Budland.
    Talk about insane.

35. Spaceloaf

Yes newsflash, people can decide to drink whatever they want. You were the one that started this by criticizing some guy just because he doesn't want to drink things produced by InBev. As if he has any less of a "right to talk" than you. You should take your own advice.

36. If you fail to see the hypocrisy with your "consumer advocacy when it's convenient" words to live by.....
    Well, continue to fight the good fight there Mahatma.

5thOhio likes this.
  37. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Of course you are entitled to your opinions, but may I point out there are only 2 kinds of breweries. 1. The kind that is in it to make money to pay employees, buy raw ingredients, cover the rest of their overhead expenses, and create value for the owner. 2. The kind that is closed with a For Sale sign on the window.

Here is the difference between your idealized small craft brewer and a large brewing corporation. The large brewing corporation wants their beer showcased in supermarket refrigerators and on shelves to the exclusion of all other beers, and they control enough market share to force distributors and retailers to do it. The small guys want their beer showcased in those same locations, and the distributors and retailers ignore them completely and have a laugh about it over drinks later. That is the only difference, and if you think I am wrong I suggest you never get into commercial brewing, as you will keep your idealism while posting the For Sale sign in your brewery's window.

5thOhio likes this.
  38. Brad007

Brad007 Advocate (620) Vermont Mar 28, 2007

Innis & Gunn has done this with several of their beers and they weren't too bad either. Low ABV, aged in barrels too.

39. cavedave,

That's not completely true. Yes, you have to pay your employees, cover costs, and make a profit, but that's where the similarities end. There is an amazing camaraderie among craft breweries that just doesn't exist with the big boys.