1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Budweiser Introducing Bowtie-Shaped Cans

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Jason, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Jason

Jason Founder (1,365) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

ST. LOUIS (April 17, 2013) – This spring Budweiser will introduce a striking and original new beer can – a bowtie-shaped aluminum can that mirrors Budweiser’s iconic bowtie logo.

Beer lovers can see for themselves the new bowtie-shaped can when it becomes available in a special 8-pack on store shelves nationwide beginning May 6.

“This can is incomparable, like nothing you’ve ever seen before,” said Pat McGauley, vice president of innovation for Anheuser-Busch. “The world’s most iconic beer brand deserves the world’s most unique and innovative can. I think we have it here.”

The proprietary can, in development since 2010, will be available only in the United States and in an 8-pack and will not replace the traditional Budweiser can.

[​IMG]

To make the new can possible, Anheuser-Busch engineers needed to solve a number of technical challenges, and major equipment investments were required at Budweiser’s can-making facility in Newburgh, N.Y. Significant capital investments also were required to upgrade packaging lines at the Budweiser breweries in Los Angeles and Williamsburg, Va., the first breweries with capability to package this unique can innovation.

Newburgh, about 60 miles north of New York City and 90 miles south of Albany, is where proprietary equipment is located that shapes the can. Creating the can requires a 16-step process – 10 steps to form the bottom half of the can, with an additional six steps to form the top portion.

The Anheuser-Busch Global Innovation Group has been investigating potential can innovations for several years.

“We explored various shapes that would be distinguishable in the marketplace, but also viable from an engineering standpoint,” McGauley said. “Aluminum can be stretched only about 10 percent without fracturing, which requires that the angles of the bowtie be very precise.”

An initial run of more than 10 million bowtie cans were produced in Newburgh through March 31 for the spring introduction. An additional 8 million cans are scheduled to be produced this month.

Due to the can’s slimmer middle and sleek design, it holds 11.3 ounces of beer and has about 137 calories, approximately 8.5 fewer calories than a traditional 12-ounce can of Budweiser.

“This can is certainly a conversation starter: eye-catching, easy-to-grip, trendy and – according to our research – very appealing to young adults,” McGauley said. “It’s a beer can like no other.”

Though there is no written documentation on the origins of the Budweiser bowtie, it is a brand icon found the world over. According to company lore, the bowtie was introduced when too many people were using the “Bud” bar call too frequently, so the double triangles were added to emphasize the full Budweiser name.

The Budweiser bowtie can is a natural progression from the new packaging introduced in 2011 that emphasized the iconic bowtie, a symbol that first appeared in a national advertising campaign for Budweiser in 1956.

The bowtie can is another example of how Budweiser continues to innovate, evolve and attract a new generation of beer drinkers. “It builds on the success of Budweiser Black Crown, the crowd-sourced fan favorite introduced earlier this year,” McGauley said.
    The launch of the can is being supported with a marketing campaign that includes digital, print and television. It will be offered for sale in grocery stores and super markets, convenience stores and packaged liquor stores.

Consumers interested in locating where they can purchase the special 8-pack can call 1-800-dial-Bud.

In other packaging innovations on the horizon in the U.S. for Anheuser-Busch, the company is announcing it is test-marketing in 10 states a new 25-ounce can that replaces a 24-ounce serving – giving consumers an additional ounce of beer. Sales of this new can will begin this summer.

Budweiser has a rich heritage spanning 137 years and is America’s No. 1 premium regular beer, selling more than its four nearest competitors combined. Innovations such as the bowtie can are a key part of Budweiser’s heritage and helped the brand grow into its status as the King of Beers. Read more here.

About Budweiser
    Budweiser, an American-style lager, was introduced in 1876 when company founder Adolphus Busch set out to create the United States’ first truly national beer brand – brewed to be universally popular and transcend regional tastes. Each batch of Budweiser follows the same family recipe used by five generations of Busch family brewmasters. Budweiser is a medium-bodied, flavorful, crisp and pure beer with blended layers of premium American and European hop aromas, brewed for the perfect balance of flavor and refreshment. Budweiser is made using time-honored methods including “kraeusening” for natural carbonation and Beechwood aging, which results in unparalleled balance and character. The brand celebrates great times and has used the phrase “Grab Some Buds” in advertising since 2010.

###

2. Jason

Jason Founder (1,365) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Yet another SKU on the shelves ... note the 11.3oz quantity.

3. epk

epk Savant (325) New Jersey Jun 10, 2008

Inconceivable! I hope Bud drinkers complain. I'd think they'd want every ounce they can get.

EDIT: Oh wait, it's an 8 pack... you actually wind up with more Bud in that case.

4. Best idea ever! Not.

MikeCactusGordon likes this.
  5. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (660) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

AB are such a bunch of clowns.
    So tired of the corny gimmicks.
    Somethin else to clog the shelves.

Cheers

6. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (835) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

The bowtie shape will provide a nice stress concentration area at the smallest radius in the center when forces are applied to either side of the can longitudinally, causing the can to buckle at lower loads - this means that flattening the can by crushing it against your forehead will be much easier now. Frat boys everywhere shall rejoice.

7. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Finally, a can that is more easily crushable on my forehead.

8. robertduffy

robertduffy Disciple (50) New York Feb 14, 2012

I normally try to not to pick up cans that are dented in the supermarket.. Well, and Budweiser in general, but still I can imagine lots of people just thinking that the can is crushed accidentally..

9. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I sure hope that shape is more conducive to crushing on my skull after I shotgun it. Looks like it has a nice crumple zone.

royhalladay, DanK4 and cmmcdonn like this.
  10. Mattyb79

Mattyb79 Advocate (530) Virginia Dec 11, 2012

Holy crap no! I have actually held one of these cans and the aluminum is so thick, you can't crush it with your hand, let alone your head. Many concussions await!

GehenHerzog, Skrypt and ufmj like this.
  11. Oh god.

BeerKangaroo and Lantern like this.
  12. the can may be a horrible idea... but I have been screaming for an 8 pack since I was younger and pounding them with my head half way in a back pack at the beach.

I have always said that with a lot of beers a 6 pack isnt enough and a 12 pack is too much... 8 pack! then again, that was before I learned that you can find good beer where a glass or two is just right.

thats some 3 bears insight right there!

13. epk

epk Savant (325) New Jersey Jun 10, 2008

On the other hand, I feel as though it will hinder shot gunning them.

14. Uncleserg

Uncleserg Savant (260) California Sep 19, 2009

Wow really.....this new can is suppose to make me run out and drink watered down unflavored beer? I'm sure for the folks whose staple is Budweiser a new can "look/style" will be cool but really.....sounds and looks like a gimmick.:cool:

jrnyc likes this.
  15. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (835) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

I also like how they try to justify getting less beer by saying it has less calories. Lol, no shit.

16. frazbri

frazbri Advocate (635) Ohio Oct 29, 2003

We're on the same page. Space filler, less actual liquid, but it looks cool. :rolleyes: (sadly, we all know people will buy them just because of the "innovative" packaging)

17. Kinsman

Kinsman Advocate (600) California Aug 26, 2009

There's only one way to find out

18. Could anyone read through this whole thing without laughing? It must be a great job working for AB marketing.

Centennial, decimator and jrnyc like this.
  19. Ant7780

Ant7780 Aficionado (220) Michigan Dec 2, 2012

I thought this was an article from The Onion...
    The pic makes it look like a can you'd find on the street laying sideways.

20. DHS1029

DHS1029 Savant (330) Illinois Feb 14, 2013

Wow, what a joke! And what exactly is this gimmick good for other than being an advertising gimmick? And ABI was stupid enough to spend all that money on R&D for a stupid bowtie shaped can? Kudos, AB, kudos... you have really outdone yourselves this time :rolleyes:

21. This has got to be a late April Fools joke that picture looks like it was photoshopped together

22. dauss

dauss Advocate (585) Colorado Aug 9, 2003

Let me guess, the 8-pack of 11.3 oz bowtie cans is the same price as the 12-pack of 12 oz cans?

23. Finn18

Finn18 Aspirant (45) Georgia Oct 24, 2012

THIS IS THE COOLEST THING EVER AND FORGET CRAFT BEER BECAUSE I'MMA BUY ONLY BUDWEISER FROM NOW ON BECAUSE I AM A CLASSY YOUNG ADULT AND WILL ONLY DRINK MY BEER FROM BOWTIES.

BedetheVenerable likes this.
  24. RangnaR

RangnaR Savant (425) California Dec 17, 2012

Is this really real?? They've been working on this since 2011? If they dedicated that much time to, say, making a decent craft-worthy beer, they might actually have succeeded!

beerme411 and jrnyc like this.
  25. RangnaR

I assume they're going to have a commercial for this with Justin Timberlake in black suit and tie drinking from a bowtie...

VelvetExtract likes this.
  26. Swik

Swik Savant (290) Indiana Oct 2, 2012

Ain't nobody got time fo dat!!!

27. Well. Since it's "trendy and – according to our research – very appealing to young adults," I'm sold. The future of beer is in this can. Sod off crafties and tie one on.

28. :) The new e-z open squeeze and explode cans.

29. Congratulations, a can with pinched in sides... genius.

30. RangnaR

Maybe next they can appeal to even younger crowds with beer in a juice box...

Step 1. Cut a hole in a box
    Step 2. Put a beer in that box...

Kerrie and epk like this.
  31. Bud should do something really groundbreaking and put this in a dead squirrel!

checktherhyme and decimator like this.
  32. Yaaaaaaaawwwwwnn.

33. Iamstryker

Iamstryker Savant (300) New Jersey Aug 11, 2012

I actually had a focus group scheduled for today that I had to cancel for that involved AB, different product though.

34. At first, I thought this sounded ridiculous, but by the end, I began to feel so.....appealed to! BOWTIE CANS FOR ALL!!!

35. Smitty1988

Smitty1988 Savant (325) Arizona Oct 16, 2012

Finally something from Bud that I will be proud to hold in my hand, sounds and looks classy!! ;)

36. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

This probably has something to do with Justin Timberlake and "Suit & Tie".

July2Nov likes this.
  37. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Advocate (620) Oregon Mar 2, 2008

It's the perfect accompaniment for a tuxedo. You too can be the talk of the party with this new design from Boo, Dee & Zwer.

38. Ruger

Ruger Savant (280) Kentucky Aug 15, 2010

It's so funny how desperate they are getting, and I feel it will only get worse. I can't wait to see what future gimmicks will bring.

39. Zbyler

Zbyler Aficionado (210) Connecticut Jan 18, 2013

this will totally make me drink a lot more bud! NOT

40. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

I don't get it. What is the point of this. Do they think they will gain new customers with this. Obviously a craft beer drinker is not going to start buying bud because the can is shaped like this. I highly doubt a drinker of some other similar (Coors, Miller, PBR, etc) will switch over due to the shape of the bottle. At least some of the past BMC gimmicks were trying to sell an improvement (triple hops, wide mouth, vertex, cold activated, etc).

The only advantage is as mentioned, a new SKU and maybe more shelf space. But will all this effort in design and manufacturing and advertising be worth it? I think they will just be transitioning sales from regular Bud 12oz cans to these. In the long run I just see these cans taking up shelf space from the regular Bud cans. Though, smarter marketing minds I would guess are working on this so I could be wrong.