1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Budweiser Makes Limited-Edition Sampler Pack to Woo Craft Beer Crowd

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by bpd2001, Sep 20, 2012.

1. bpd2001

bpd2001 Zealot (95) New York Jun 14, 2012

2. Naterobsnyk4

Naterobsnyk4 Savant (340) New York Jan 25, 2012

It sounds decent actually but based on principle alone and not advocating monopolies I won't touch it, although I can not say the same for goose island, I'm just pretending that doesn't count.

3. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,145) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

4. mondegreen

mondegreen Savant (420) Georgia Nov 4, 2009

At least they put the Budwieser branding on it instead of trying to hide behind some "crafty" sounding name. Either way, I'll be leaving these on the shelf.

5. LostTraveler

LostTraveler Savant (375) Maine Oct 28, 2011

So it will contain 312 beer that is actually brewed in the 315.

bosshop and Mohican88 like this.
  6. denver10

denver10 Champion (900) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

Trying to attract the craft crowd through a mixed sixer of lager based beers sounds like a fail to me.

7. acevenom

acevenom Advocate (545) Louisiana Oct 7, 2011

I'm interested and will likely pick it up.

kojevergas, beertunes and RyanBeer13 like this.
  8. KYGunner

KYGunner Savant (490) Kentucky Sep 16, 2012

Michelob did something similar with a sampler pack. It contained several non-typical choices for a macro-brew. I enjoyed it, for the price and will probably try this.

9. Sounds good to me, I'll try 'em.
    No adjunct, all malt lagers brewed by a company with impeccable quality control standards and I don't have to wait for them to be shipped halfway around the world in green bottles.

10. "I'll have principles when they are convenient for me."

11. jivex5k

jivex5k Advocate (650) Florida Apr 13, 2011

I'd like to try them...sadly they are owned by InBev...

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  12. FarmerTed

FarmerTed Savant (335) Colorado May 31, 2011

I'll only get it if there's a bourbon barrel aged rice wine in there.

robmoak, jonbeer89, Mavajo and 3 others like this.
  13. Why not , if it taste good ok if not ... down the drain ... whats to loose.

doppletheGOAT and kelvarnsen like this.
  14. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

The fact that two out of the three "creative beers" they came up with were an amber lager and a pilsner, I don't have high hopes for this series.

15. mjryan

mjryan Advocate (515) Minnesota Dec 22, 2007

Well now, too loose? That's a question for the ages.

Melomanemusher and meanmutt like this.
  16. ChadQuest

ChadQuest Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 4, 2009

You are doing it wrong. This is actually positive and probably going to hurt BMC.

While this is unlikely to attract craft fans, i am sure this will attract BMC drinkers who want to try something "fancy", and maybe it will break down inhibitions for trying new things, maybe leading them into craft someday. I think that is much more likely to occur then attracting craft fans.

So, this is a good thing.

17. mjryan

mjryan Advocate (515) Minnesota Dec 22, 2007

Creative for the venerable Budwiser brand anyway.

18. n2185

n2185 Advocate (640) North Carolina Apr 14, 2008

Those don't sound appealing at all and I wouldn't buy them if they did. I'm not going to support a company that does everything it can to keep the beers I love off the shelves.

19. Amen to that. It doesn't sound all that special, which is actually good news because I wouldn't give them business anyway. Sounds win-win. Not tempting, and I wouldn't buy it if I was tempted.

20. JediMatt

JediMatt Aficionado (210) Iowa Jun 18, 2010

Absolutely this.

happy4hoppybeer likes this.
  21. How about I fill twelve beers with urine from different days. Call it a mix. Maybe use my cat to help fill a few. Kitty surprise pils!

Seriously, though, NO. I'll not send a doo-doo covered shekel to these unethical liars who dedicate resources to damaging the craft industry I love.

22. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

+1 Amen to that!

Cheers

MagillaGriller likes this.
  23. Having had 2 of these, and assuming the price point is right around $10-12....I'll get it.
    The bourbon cask lager has little to no bourbon flavor, but it is surprisingly well balanced and sweet with vanilla. A decent beer that that drinks like a sweet, lighter porter. Like a sweet amber beer.

24. That might be because they had to use Budwiser lager yeast. I will try a 12 pack.

25. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (515) Missouri May 11, 2012

I always find it funny when people say they won't buy anything AB/Inbev but would jump at the chance to buy some BCBS

26. It's a conspiracy! With this release, Budweiser is 'testing' the branding of Budweiser 'craft beers'. If successful, they will either start a line of their own craft beers or continue to take over current craft breweries. Either way, as a previous post stated, it shouldn't hurt the current craft brewers since most current craft beer drinkers aren't likely to try an Budweiser product, if you follow these forums. It may steer many current macro drinkers to a 'craft beer' option since it's made by one of the 'trusted' few and that will further decrease macro sales and may open some eyes for current macro drinkers who think they will turn into beer snobs if they even tasted a craft beer.

27. randal

randal Savant (315) Texas Apr 21, 2004

The styles may be a little narrow since the article says it was a competition to make different beers with the original Budweiser yeast. Too bad they didn't include a Classic American Pilsner since it would be nifty to taste a recreation of pre-prohibition Budweiser from the company that actually made it in the first place.

Another interesting point; the article specifically calls out the bourbon vanilla beer as "all malt" - does that mean the other two are adjunct?

28. Dennoman

Dennoman Advocate (505) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

Is it just me or does the idea of a bourbon cask lager loaded with pilsner malt sound pretty vile?

kemoarps and Mavajo like this.
  29. billandsuz

billandsuz Savant (415) New York Sep 1, 2004

"Project 12 used Budweiser's Brewmasters to create a new lineup of beers."

No, doubtful. Project 12 like every other new product AB-Inbev brings to market, uses AB-Inbev Marketing to create a new lineup of beers. If by "used" they are implying that the brewmasters actually controlled the process, then sure.

As for attracting craft beer drinkers, that ship has sailed. The 800 pound gorilla has proven themselves to be quite challenged when it comes to attracting what we know as Craft Beer drinkers. Does not mean they won't sell a million cases and command miles of shelf space...

I for one will probably try it eventually, if it lasts for more than a month. If only to re-assure myself why I like quality craft and not AB's typically dumbed down attempt.

30. I'm with you on that one. There's my incentive not to pick this one up.

Sure. I'll be looking for BCBS. IS ABInBev a soulless machine? Yep. However, my benefit from picking up a small amount of BCBS is far greater than theirs from the same transaction. And besides, if I don't do it someone else (lots of someone elses) will.

kemoarps likes this.
  31. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (835) California Nov 16, 2009

I dont think I would probably buy. What happens if you buy it, dont like any of the 3 and are left with 9 more beers to dump? Waste of money.

Cheers!

32. poopinmybutt

poopinmybutt Savant (280) Nebraska May 25, 2005

sounds terrible

33. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

I wouldn't buy these beers because they are made by the company that is putting my favorite breweries out of business. Due to damaging muscle flexing by ABInBev, Three Floyds, Deschutes, Stone, Captain Lawrence, Founders, Green Flash, and a host of others are on the brink of bankruptcy due to their heavy handedness.

What? What's that? BMC sales are sharply down? All those craft brewers I mentioned are unable to keep up with demand for their beers, and most have either recently expanded or are planning to? Well,that's completely different.

Never mind.

34. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (475) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

They sound like dogshit to me. Perhaps they will get some Bud drinkers to try new stuff though.

exodus1369 and Retail1LO like this.
  35. JediMatt

JediMatt Aficionado (210) Iowa Jun 18, 2010

Cute. But just because they aren't succeeding doesn't mean they aren't trying. And that's enough reason for me.

36. zappafrank

zappafrank Aficionado (170) Ohio Sep 9, 2012

It doesn't matter what they put in the box, I'm not buying it!

SammyJaxxxx and Ford like this.
  37. steveh

steveh Champion (765) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

Don't they do this every couple years and then nothing is heard of the new styles?

Last one I tried had 1 decent beer out of 4, and that wasn't even worth waiting for. I'll pass this time.

38. steveh

steveh Champion (765) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

They're all lagers, the 312 is an ale, you're outta luck.

In fact, all Goose Island beers are ales, so the insinuation fails even more.

BeerNinjaLevel1 likes this.
  39. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Bud has been testing the branding of Budweiser craft beers for a while now. Along with Budweiser American Ale, there's the whole line of Michelob craft styles. One might argue that Michelob isn't Bud, but I'm guessing that A) most beer drinkers know Michelob is owned by Bud and 2) as a business effort, it doesn't matter if it's Bud or Mich.

40. Did it say a price somewhere? I might tick it if it's cheap.