1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Budweiser Makes Limited-Edition Sampler Pack to Woo Craft Beer Crowd

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by bpd2001, Sep 20, 2012.

1. But it's my understanding that these will be offered as something 'new and different' and we all know how Budweiser can market their products. And although it seems that they will be branded under the Budweiser tent, the actual names of the beers will not be Budweiser this or Budweiser that so as far as I'm concerned, it's another market test of a new product.
  2. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

I assume you are a real stickler for good company policies. That is why I know you never drive gasoline powered vehicles when buying beer, because of course you know that some of the profits goes to supporting terrorist org.'s and killing Americans, and extracting, and refining, and using petroleum products damages the environment.

Oh, what's that? You do drive a car? That is completely different.

Never mind.
    Shagtastic likes this.
  3. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

I'm kind of amazed that all three of them are lagers. Like, how is it possible to not have an ale in there. Do they know it's cheaper to brew an ale?
  4. to woo the craft beer crowd?
    frazbri and Kunstman like this.
  5. redmagik99

redmagik99 Savant (305) California May 15, 2007

While I'm not sure whether Goose Island revenue goes directly into Goose Island or is pooled with other AB revenue, it seems hypocritical to buy Goose Island products and refuse to buy this based on principle alone.
    champ103 likes this.
  6. IceAce

IceAce Advocate (560) California Jan 8, 2004

Having read the article, I'm attempting to ascertain how, "Tens of thousands of consumers tasted and gave feedback about the Project 12 beers. This included approximately 10,000 festival- goers to the Budweiser Made in America music festival in Philadelphia over Labor Day weekend, where Budweiser’s 12 U.S. brewmasters personally sampled the beers and asked for feedback. At other sampling events throughout the United States, brand ambassadors asked consumers to describe the taste, freshness, style and flavor of the six Project 12 beers, and to choose their favorites. Consumers also were able to enter feedback onsite via iPad stations."

...turned into your thread title of, "Budweiser Makes Limited-Edition Sampler Pack to Woo Craft Beer Crowd"

Really? Can you source a sentence in that entire press release which uses the single word 'Craft'?
    frazbri and jesskidden like this.
  7. Who makes Goose Island?
  8. jbeezification

jbeezification Savant (405) Texas Jun 6, 2012

Whats far more likely, is the average beer drinker who enjoys his Bud Lights and when hes feeling crazy gets Budweiser, will try this and hate it so much, that he never bothers trying to venture out again. Thus greatly hurting craft beers.
    Eriktheipaman likes this.
  9. jbeezification

jbeezification Savant (405) Texas Jun 6, 2012

Thats the stupidest logic in the history of history.
  10. champ103

champ103 Champion (860) Texas Sep 3, 2007

Correct. I am not going to buy this because it sounds horrid. I will continue to buy Goose Island because I enjoy their product.
  11. How do you figure? Everyone knows BCBS is going to sell out anyway. A/B will get their money. My refusal to buy BCBS means zero to Budweiser since it's all going to get bought. I'm strictly talking about BCBS in this case - I have no interest in this mix pack. So if they're going to win, I might as well enjoy it as much as I can. And with that...back to the OP.
    Gregfalone likes this.
  12. PopnLoads

PopnLoads Savant (415) Illinois Jun 1, 2012

This is just big business trying to get some dough out of every niche it can find. Of all the beer in the world, why would you waste time trying this crap?
  13. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Advocate (675) Pennsylvania Dec 11, 2008

Just something they will use to take up more shelf space to push out competition. Same reason they keep coming out with the different Bud Light varieties that will each take up space.
  14. Naterobsnyk4

Naterobsnyk4 Savant (330) New York Jan 25, 2012

Believe they are owned inbev which is owned by AB if i'm not mistaken.
  15. The website is called BEERadvocate. I won't be turning one down if it's handed to me...
    tzieser likes this.
  16. Bud is owned by InBev, not the other way around.
    benart likes this.
  17. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (540) New York Jun 11, 2007

To be fair, we do have a post indicating an InBen boycott on principle, with the acknowledgment that said principle is just a loose rule and Goose Island is still okay. So at least the flip-floppers are coming out ;)
  18. maltmuncher

maltmuncher Aficionado (195) Aug 22, 2012

Its election time, does this shock you?
    JrGtr likes this.
  19. maltmuncher

maltmuncher Aficionado (195) Aug 22, 2012

I am sure we all have our own views on this but kudos to them for doing this, in short I do not think they can stop the "craft" scene as we know it. But a lot of good could come out of this also. Not to mention it could help get others to try something just cause it has the word "Bud" on it and in turn they go, wow I really like this and them try other lines/products. I hope I see this and get a chance to buy it-I think more on here will than will admit. Honestly I hate the fact that crafts can cost so much and the limited stock only seem to help raise the price people can charge...
  20. Moss

Moss Disciple (70) Florida Aug 31, 2012

If it gets good reviews on beer advocate (which i dont expect it to) ill try it, otherwise ill buy something else.
  21. JediMatt

JediMatt Aficionado (210) Iowa Jun 18, 2010

Nice logic. So, if I can't/don't boycott every "bad" company in the world, I shouldn't boycott any? Got it.
    SammyJaxxxx and DrAwkward82 like this.
  22. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (615) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

Only the Sith deal with absolutes!
    Shagtastic likes this.
  23. Mavajo

Mavajo Advocate (550) Georgia Feb 10, 2007

I hope Budweiser gets into the craft game, and I hope they're fantastic at it. I'd love to be able to grab a top-notch 14% ABV bourbon barrel aged imperial stout at any grocery store.
    writerLJBerg and m4ttj0nes like this.
  24. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Savant (480) Kentucky Apr 20, 2004

The company is ABInbev, so its all one in the same. Not really a ownership in one way or the other, but the HQ is in Belgium, if that matters.
  25. Not necessarily the case. Can you get all the current Michelob styles and Bud American Ale at your grocery?
  26. Mavajo

Mavajo Advocate (550) Georgia Feb 10, 2007

Yes.
  27. steveh

steveh Advocate (705) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

Yes, InBev bought A-B, but A-B bought Goose Island on its own, IIRC -- but the real answer to the question is Goose Island brews Goose Island.
  28. They've made one before?
  29. steveh

steveh Advocate (705) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

30. cavedave

Boycott who and when you want and those of us who see the difference between boycotting for silly things and boycotting for important things may weigh in about it.

Companies using clout to get shelf space in a store, and who have almost no impact on the growing craft movement, and certainly are doing nothing dangerous or illegal, are hardly worthy of boycotts, but that's just, like, my opinion man.

I gave another contrasting opinion of something I felt protest worthy but WTFAI right?
    Brew33 likes this.
  31. I agree. Hopefully it'll show some people that there are other styles out there...and if this can pique their interest, they'll soon find out that there are many brewers out there that actually make damn good alternatives to the standard AB bullshit, and the halfassed crafts they're now tinkering around with.
  32. TicoCali

TicoCali Savant (450) California Jul 25, 2010

HELL to the mothaf**ing NO !!! Never!
  33. JediMatt

JediMatt Aficionado (210) Iowa Jun 18, 2010

Who gets to decide if I'm boycotting for "silly things". You? InBev telling distributors to stop carrying craft beers or risk losing their AB-Inbev account seems fairly serious to me. Sure, not as serious as, say, genocide. I'm not going to be out in the streeets picketing AB plants, or writing letters to my congressman. But serious enough for me to not want to give them my money. As long as they continue with these types of strong-arm tactics, I'll continue to boycott them.

That's just my opinion, and I don't believe I've claimed otherwise.
    SammyJaxxxx and benart like this.
  34. steveh likes this.
  35. cavedave

Yes, I decide my opinions. My opinion is there are life and death issues, there are rampant irregularities and illegalities around us, and Budweiser squeezing shelf space isn't even in the same ballpark, no, make that same Universe. And I think it is silly to boycott over shelfspace. You don't. There you have it. Can we both move on now?
  36. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

i don't buy BMC, but even if i did i wouldn't buy this. sounds like 3 boring beers. doesn't matter if they're cheap; just buy sierra nevada instead.

i wish someone would do some journalism regarding goose island pre-/post-AB buyout. it would influence these arguments. they've been A-B owned for awhile now and the arguments are still all "well IF they are doing this, then i think that," etc. thankfully, i'm not a huge GI fan to begin with* (and whenever i've dealt with people who work with the brewery they've been dicks), so my conscience doesn't have to be heavy.

* used to like GI IPA, but it kind of wore out its welcome. sofie is still an amazing beer, and BCBS is great but has always been overpriced (for me).
  37. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

Consider me wooed.
  38. fox227

fox227 Advocate (555) California Nov 19, 2010

You'll have to "loose" the bottle cap...
  39. Must be an exemplary store. When I check the beer section at groceries, I only see 1 Michelob style, maybe two, and Bud Ale has virtually vanished from most store shelves.