1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Budweiser Makes Limited-Edition Sampler Pack to Woo Craft Beer Crowd

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by bpd2001, Sep 20, 2012.

1. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Sounds like an interesting concept, and they most determinately have the resources to make this happen. I would be inclined to try before I said anything negative, after all they're not just rehashing the can and putting Bud into it. And the only negative would be that I didn't like the brews, there's a lot of craft brews I don't like as well. Deserves a shot IMO.
  2. JrGtr

JrGtr Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 13, 2006

If I happenned to be somewhere they were giving samples, sure I'll try it. Will I buy it? Almost certainly not.
  3. Drewskis

Drewskis Disciple (55) Jun 20, 2012

Gonna have to pass on this one.
  4. Drewskis

Drewskis Disciple (55) Jun 20, 2012

AB/Inbev is just being money hungry and trying to go after a part of the market they will never be part of. Just stick to what they already do and let the smaller brewers have their tiny market.
  5. aubuc1

aubuc1 Savant (370) Florida Dec 19, 2007

Is giving samples to people at the Bud music fest a proper sampling of craft beer drinkers? Most people at a concert event aren't really in the mood to be objective.

If it is good or free, I will try it. Let the beer decide if it survives.
  6. parris

parris Savant (300) Massachusetts Jan 18, 2010

... minor heart attack ...
  7. Bud continues to woo me to bypass any and all products associated with them. Yes this includes GI and yes, that just means more BCBS for everyone else.
    JediMatt likes this.
  8. DonDirkA

DonDirkA Savant (400) Arizona Dec 14, 2011

I wouldn't buy this anyway on principal, but I read the page and those beers all sound awful. Lagers and pilsners are no bueno. This is almost as bad of a marketing idea from InBev as this other failure on their part:
    [​IMG]
  9. WynnO

WynnO Savant (490) Florida Oct 24, 2003

Is this not PROOF that the big guys are scared sh*tless over what the craft beer market is doing to them?! Do you think anyone in that organization would have given this idea even one fart's worth of consideration while sitting on a marble sh*tter in their corporate headquarters 10 years ago?!!

Yeah, I might take the hook; if for nothing else to see what their vision of real beer is presently.
  10. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,100) California Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

"I'd love to be able to grab a top-notch 14% ABV bourbon barrel aged imperial stout at any grocery."

Wouldn't we all. That being said....

AB has been in the craft beer game for some time I'd say (Pacific Ridge, Ziegenbock, Shock top, Elk Mountain, etc.). Some of their products haven't been bad, but I just don't think they're very committed to this segment of the market. I'm sure they see the increased sales and want a piece of that action, but so far the products they've put out have not been aimed at what I would describe as a niche market (you and I may love our barrel aged imperial stouts and DIPA's, but folks like us make up a VERY small part of the market at this point).

Most folks seem to agree that AB absolutely has the ability and know how to make a top notch bourbon barrel aged RIS, if they want to. However, my impression is that they have no interest in making such a beer (I assume that with the acquisition of Goose Island, they already figure they have that covered now anyway), and are unlikely to ever make such a beer, unless they conclude there is a sufficient market for it. In the meantime, I expect they'll continue to make a limited amount of bland pale ales, ambers and wits, beers that a wide range of the beer consuming market can understand and appreciate. The new beers they're releasing strike me as beers that are made in much the same vein. Frankly, I wouldn't have expected anytihng else.
  11. Azzy

Azzy Savant (300) Texas Jul 16, 2012

I doubt their scared shitless, they're just greedy bastards. They've controlled the beer industry since the repeal of prohibition and if they can't give up 5% share to 2,000 plus other breweries, they are just being assholes. I don't see craft brewing going to over 20% market share in the next few years but I do see it in the long run as more people discover good beer and refuse to drink crap, although many are fine drinking piss from a bottle.
    I mean AB InBev owns close 50% of the US beer market( not to mention how much they own in every other country), they actually even had to sell off 50% of their share of Grupo Modelo(the company they purchased, Modelo,Corona etc.) because owning them violated anti trade laws basically eliminating competition from them inside the US and making them a monopoly.
  12. That might be a bit of a stretch- they have been the #1 US brewer for much of that period (Schlitz was #1 in the mid-late '40's and again during two different periods in the 1950's) but after Repeal AB's share of the US market was still in single digits - 3.5% in '38, for instance, when they were the first US brewery to top 2 million bbl/yr mark and the US industry brewed a total of over 56m bbl.

They didn't break the 10% market share mark until the mid-'60's and would hit 25% only in the late '70's. Yeah, they've always been big, always threw their weight around but did they really control the industry? They were also never close to being a true monopoly.

Cite?

They bought the 50% of Grupo Modelo they didn't own, and then immediately sold off Modelo's half of the US importer, Crown (which had been co-owned with Constellation Brands), so that they would - in theory, at least - have no control over the distribution of those brands in the US. AB InBev Seals $20 Billion Modelo Purchase to Gain Corona

At this point (last I read) the US Department of Justice anti-trust regulators have yet to decide if that move alone will be enough to approve the deal in the US. Some speculate that the DoJ might still require them to sell off some US AB brands or other ABInBev assets.
  13. Yea I kind of say good for them. I mean isn't that how economies are supposed to work. I mean the competition from companies and their better quality products appears to be forcing A-B to step up their game and make beers with more flavour. If this is a preliminary step in A-B trying to make actual well made flavourful craft beers, how is that a bad thing. I just want to drink what tastes good, and I don't really care how big the company that makes good tasting beer is. If A-B made the best tasting beer in the world, I wouldn't avoid it just because they are a big producer. Plus I would prefer they try to compete with better products then just throw more and more cash into marketing efforts.
    cavedave likes this.
  14. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

Thanks! We will laugh, and toast your razor sharp strict ethics that are exercised in a world containing many problems, nearly every one of them more important than Bud's shelfspace tactics.
    Norica likes this.
  15. abecall98

abecall98 Advocate (540) California Aug 11, 2007

Would you guys buy BCBS if Budweizer changed the name to Budweizer Bourbon Stout? It could happen, GI is after-all, an InBev owned brewery.
  16. They can dress it up any way they want to, but in the end, AB will always be a macro brewery who are out for a dollar. I'll never, ever buy anything they brew.
  17. LaughingOtter

LaughingOtter Aspirant (30) Oct 7, 2012

Only real use I ever got out of A/B was making a keggle out of one of their kegs. Definitely no use for the beer, except for a nice Fizzball game!
  18. All of this.
  19. Azzy

Azzy Savant (300) Texas Jul 16, 2012

That's what I was talking about
  20. BreakingBad

BreakingBad Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2012

21. Glad I could help you...I think
  22. Icarus

Icarus Aficionado (190) Minnesota Oct 6, 2012

meh, they can dress it up all they want it's still Clydesdale piss.
    RKPStogie likes this.
  23. JediMatt

JediMatt Aficionado (210) Iowa Jun 18, 2010

Jesus Christ, dude. We're on a BEER WEBSITE. Why don't you go to a world peace website, if that's what you're concerned about. Of COURSE there are more important issues in the world than beer. But we're HERE to discuss BEER-related issues.

And again, why is it funny that people have ethics related to beer? Shouldn't we stick to our own ethics/morality in all aspects of our lives? Or should we provide lip-service when it's convenient, and only have ethics on visible issues when people are watching?
    SammyJaxxxx, tzieser, Icarus and 4 others like this.
  24. MagillaGriller

MagillaGriller Savant (315) Aug 20, 2012

Prrrretty funny. I breathe out...plants take it in....terrorists breathe THAT in...so I'm.. No wonder I drink. Cheers
  25. Franch

Franch Advocate (540) New York Mar 22, 2011

bud american ale is discontinued
  26. Yeah, but the AB websites are often not up to date (maybe InBev laid off that department, too:eek: ).

Their main US corporate site's European Beers page still list both Czechvar and Staropramen as their imports (via their import division, Import Brands Alliance) and both are now with other companies (" “United States Beverage” and "S&H" respectively)
  27. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

If you want to go to a website where people clap for your wonderful stances against shelfspace grabs, I think it's you who needs to go to a world peace website.

This is Beer Advocate, not Craft Beer Advocate All Other Beer Companies Suck.

This is the internet and people have opinions. I have opinions, you have opinions. We disagree. Get over it.
  28. JediMatt

JediMatt Aficionado (210) Iowa Jun 18, 2010

I'm over it. YOU keep bringing it up anytime ANYONE (god forbid) mentions that they don't support Inbev. Are they sponsoring you or something?
    SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  29. Sounds like ABev is trying to sucker us in again! Does any body remember "World Select"?
    jimmy666 likes this.
  30. Back in the late 80's, AB put out a "Marzen Beer". Thuis was without a doubt the best beer I ever tasted from AB. It was only out in the St. Louis area as a test market. They also put it out a few years back in a sampler 12 pack but it had changed. It never made it out en mass as the whole "dry beer" craze had just begun and it took a long time to age. I wish they would bring back the original recipe Marzen beer. I have fond memories of a few trips to St. Louis on my ay to Bon Terr Missouri to scuba dive. Those were the days.
  31. exodus1369

exodus1369 Initiate (0) California Nov 19, 2008

No chance in hell. It's a slap in te face to craft beer. But on the up side it sounds like InBev is starting to fill the heat of comitition from the small guys. Keep it up! Cheers.
  32. Findog

Findog Aficionado (125) Colorado Nov 28, 2006

I am just curious. How is ABI (or any brewery for that matter) keeping the beer you love off the shelves?
  33. I'm not gonna be the guinea pig. I'll wait for some feedback from some of my "buddies" first. Maybe this will open them up to try more craft and styles. Besides that, not my favorite styles of beer anyway.

first. None of them are really my favorite styles anyway.
  34. Crusader

Crusader Savant (345) Sweden Feb 4, 2011

The darker, maltier version is one way of going about it but I wonder if they'd be more succesful, or not, if they came out with a Budweiser with a higher IBU closer to the levels of early 20th century (say 20+IBUs as one of jesskidden's posts seemed to suggest).

Keep the light Americanized (adjunct) "Bohemian pilsner" body (which after all was part of Budweiser's historical success) but make it more interesting with a higher IBU. Not to where it's quite at the level of a modern German pilsner at cirka 30IBU, since that would be too extreme I think for the general market, but upping the IBU might make for an interesting drink for people who enjoy a light bodied refreshing pilsner. Then again, such a target audience might not be very large, inbetween the light beer fans on the one hand and the craft beer fans on the other hand.

To me it would seem natural to take a line extension of Budweiser in the direction of the brands heritage, as a light Bohemian-style pilsner. Granted not every lager drinker thinks an elevated plain bitterness is enjoyable or tasty, though if one considers the history of Bohemian styled largers in the US and the successes of pilsners in Germany I'd say that this approach could make some sense and spawn an interesting product, for those who enjoy lagers/pilsners and don't mind an adjunct component to the grainbill in their beer.

I enjoy craft beer but at heart I'm a lager fan which is why this topic interests me in the first place. To me a well brewed pilsner is a real treat, with slight bready malts in an overall dry beer and with a refreshing, marked bitterness. The primary problem with the american adjunct lager of today (those based on the Bohemian pilsner) in my mind is that it offers little of everything. Little in the way of malt and little in the way of hops (straight up bitterness since we're talking about pilsners/lightly colored lagers). The Czech pilsners are typically (or style-wise) moderately malty and with a marked bitterness, German pilsners are drier but with an elevated bitterness, Swedish light lagers are malty and with a lower bitterness than either German or Czech pilsners, American Bohemian-style adjunct lagers are dry like German pilsners but with little in the way of breadiness and with very low bitterness. Tweaking one of these variables, the maltiness or the bitterness, by increasing it would seem to make sense if one wanted to offer a more interesting and enjoyable beer.

Personally I enjoy a dry lager in the German style with a marked bitterness and I can imagine that American adjunct lagers of old where the IBU levels would have howered around 20 or so would have been quite enjoyable. It played to its strenghts, providing a light bodied beer with a refreshing bite. Thus a modern interpretation of this type of beer might have a shot, but who knows.
  35. JustinQ

JustinQ Savant (305) California Nov 24, 2011

Not sure if somebody else also replied to this, but if so. Sorry

Budweiser and Bud light that I know for sure are not fermented like real lager. There are cans of Budweiser on shelves that were brewed about 2 months prior to canning. and other then the investment of time, the ingredients cost about the same. Not being negative, just sharing information.

Cheers
  36. n2185

n2185 Advocate (640) North Carolina Apr 14, 2008

Watch Beer Wars. Just ignore all of the parts about the stupid Moonshot gimmick.
    SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  37. Norica

Norica Savant (315) Massachusetts Feb 2, 2006

Why should I ignore such a large part of a mediocre documentary?
    SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  38. n2185

n2185 Advocate (640) North Carolina Apr 14, 2008

Because it's a woman trying to pass off the beer equivalent of Four Loko as craft beer. The important parts are the ones that discuss how AB-InBev, MolsonCoors, and SABMiller do everything in their power to completely control the market and reduce craft beer's shelf space.
    SammyJaxxxx and trixdout like this.