1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Budweiser Makes Limited-Edition Sampler Pack to Woo Craft Beer Crowd

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by bpd2001, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Norica

Norica Savant (315) Massachusetts Feb 2, 2006

The stores around me (MA is a state where most retailers are independent retailers due to limited license laws) are loaded with craft beer so much that it makes shopping a chore, where most of my time is spent checking dates rather than lamenting over the lack of selection.

cavedave and IceAce like this.
  2. trixdout

trixdout Savant (265) New Jersey Aug 12, 2011

The fact that they are trying to put out of business some of the best craft micro brews in the country is enough for me to say F you and your wannabe tactics because they will not work.

Why even try it?! Even buying it once adds to their statistic. I don't understand some of you craft fans out their when you say you are gonna try something new bmc puts out. Makes me wonder how much of a craft fan you are.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  3. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Sounds pretty crappy

4. n2185

n2185 Advocate (640) North Carolina Apr 14, 2008

Congrats. I also live in a craft beer-supporting area (Asheville, NC) where even grocery stores will often carry a pretty decent craft selection, from local growlers to Bell's or the like. However, I've also been to several parts of the country where you're lucky to find Yuengling, Guinness, or Sam Adams. Regardless of how good your local market may be for craft beer, BMC still controls >90% of the market on a national scale.

SammyJaxxxx and trixdout like this.
  5. iowacraft01

iowacraft01 Aficionado (125) Iowa Oct 3, 2012

Sucks! 12.99-13.99

6. Where I live craft is hard to find. I bought this sampler case and it was crap.

7. Ill try it. With the resources the megabrewers have they should be able to produce a very high quality beer, if they really set out to do so. Try as they may, they won't put anyone out of business. The majority of craft beer drinkers are biased and will not touch anything made by the "Big Three", and ill never drink ANYTHING exclusively. If anything, they may get strict bud/bud light drinker to expand their horizons. I think it's a good thing.

8. Could be a good halfassed gateway for true beer but still, fuck those motherfuckers for trying squeeze in more shelf space for their shit. I work at Bevmo and I'm amazed at how many people come in to a store that is LOADED with fine craft beers and they still go for bmc.

9. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (830) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

All you need to know is "worthy of the Budweiser name." The label should be a pig wearing a lot of lipstick.

Spikester and JediMatt like this.
  10. It seems to me that AB is afraid to brew anything with some hops taste and more that 6% alcohol.

11. Wouldn’t it be cool if Anheuser-Busch brewed a genuine Classic American Pilsner?

It is pretty easy to brew a Pre-Prohibition Lager (Classic American Pilsner); I homebrew them a lot. The BJCP style guidelines provide all the information you need.

In a nutshell:

· Grain: 80% 6 row malts, 20% corn
    · Hops:
    o For Bittering: Cluster hops 25-40 IBUs (I prefer 40 IBUs)
    o For Flavor: Medium to high hop flavor from noble hops
    o For Aroma: Medium to high hop aroma from noble hops
    · Lager yeast

Cheers!

Crusader likes this.
  12. Centennial

Centennial Savant (440) Vermont Nov 9, 2009

"There really were no winners or losers with Project 12, but we wound up with three great beers that slightly edged out the others."

In other words, the beers were all pretty crappy, and a few were less crappy then the rest.

"This included approximately 10,000 festival- goers to the Budweiser Made in America music festival in Philadelphia over Labor Day weekend."

I guess it does make sense they decided to do this at a general, non beer related event and stayed away from getting feedback at a beer festival or somewhere people's opinions would hold much more clout.

trixdout and cavedave like this.
  13. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (350) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

This is a sign for the future guys... .I'd expect to see plenty more "craft" offerings from AB. I think they're scared of the rising microbrewery sales, and want a piece of that market as well. A couple of years ago I went to the Budweiser factory in Broomfield, CO, and sampled several beers i was suprised to see. I remember having a dunkel, a pale ale, and couple of others.

The more craft sales rise the more the focus will shift on ways to keep people dumbed down - i.e. pseudo craft beers, trendy advertising, and gimmics like wide mouthed cans and cans that change color when theyre cold... ect.

Centennial likes this.
  14. trixdout

They have the means and by no means want to produce quality. Their main focus and only focus is profit margin. They could care less if the beer tasted like water as long as they make more money from it. People fail to realize this. I don't drink exclusively from a brewery. I drink all craft beer and only craft beer which excludes BMC. I have yet to even take a sip or drink anything by BMC that actually tastes good. Prove me wrong.

15. “I have yet to even take a sip or drink anything by BMC that actually tastes good. Prove me wrong.”

It is impossible for me to prove you wrong but I will offer up my personal opinion that Anheuser-Busch has made a beer that I think is reasonably good: Michelob DunkelWeisse:

“Michelob Dunkel Weisse

Posted on January 29, 2009 by Jon

Michelob Dunkel Weisse is the second of the PR beers I’d received back in August and forgot to write about. It’s a new beer, an unfiltered dark wheat beer from the house of A-B, one which I was a bit surprised to see—it’s definitely a departure for them and an interesting style choice.

Dunkel Weisse 5.5% alcohol by volume.

Appearance: Kind of a dirty, apple cider brown, and murky (because I swirled up the yeast). Thick dirty-white head.

Smell: Sour banana and a hint of clove spiciness. "Sour" is predominant.

Taste: Wheat, and a light character that belies its dark, murky appearance. Lemony-fruity that has a hint of green banana to it, and the spiciness is prominent—cloves and peppercorns.

Mouthfeel: Pleasantly crisp and somewhere between light and medium-bodied.

Overall: Not that I’ve had many Dunkel Weisses, but this is decent and tasty… I like it better than the Trader Joe’s version.

On BeerAdvocate, it scores an overall grade of B. On RateBeer, it scores 3.11 out of 5, and is in their 53rd percentile.”

Above is a quote from: http://www.thebrewsite.com/michelob-dunkel-weisse/

As others have made mention of: I think that Anheuser-Busch is fully capable of making quality (i.e., craft type) beer but generally they choose to not make these kinds of beer.

Cheers!

16. If you truly love beer shouldn't you want to try anything and everything???

17. Funny, but I was a VIP at the Made in America Festival for two days and didn't see a single sampling from this set available. I even filled out a survey for Budweiser.

18. trixdout

Interesting.... I definitely missed that one. Never seen that on the shelf so can't say i've been enticed to purchase and try it. It may be their only good beer to date.

19. trixdout

When you have tried many of bmc's offerings and cat piss would drink better than most of them, then you wouldn't want to try everything.

20. Does anyone remember Budweiser American Ale?? I'm sure this will play out just the same. I am a liquor retailer and I do hope this will encourage the average consumer to search out different beers with more flavor than the average American lager or pilsner.

21. AmitC

AmitC Advocate (580) New York Sep 21, 2012

I have tasted all three of those. Two of them do not at all taste like the styles they are being marketed as.

Spikester likes this.
  22. This article also refers to Budweiser as a "medium bodied" beer. If that's true, I'd hate to see their idea of a light-bodied one.

23. I do truly agree. But hey, who is to say they don't have one trick up their sleeves?

24. coachdicarlo

coachdicarlo Initiate (0) Missouri Apr 20, 2012

Tried them...not impressed

Spikester likes this.
  25. epk

epk Savant (325) New Jersey Jun 10, 2008

I'm sure the actual brewers are happy to break out of the standard mold for once. They are brewers at heart, aren't they?

Maybe I would buy a 12 pack of it for non-craft drinking company if I have a party (and of course I would try them). Could be a way to turn some. But I'm not sure I would buy one for myself when there are other beers to be had.

26. epk

This is a failure? I'm confused - these are three distinct styles. And I love Leffe (brune more so) and don't mind drinking the other two whatsoever. Stella is actually a nice gateway for BMC drinkers as well.

EDIT: Oh oh, is it because they actually called them the "Best of Belgium"? And I think I prefer the typical mixed 12 pack instead.

27. DonDirkA

DonDirkA Savant (400) Arizona Dec 14, 2011

Its a failure because A) they call it the "Best of Belgium" and B) all these beers are basically just the European version of our BMC garbage. Stella is Budweiser, Hoegaarden is Blue Moon and I haven't had Leffe, so I can't really say on that one.

28. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (765) California Jan 31, 2005

Did somebody say Budweiser? Not interested.

29. acevenom

acevenom Advocate (545) Louisiana Oct 7, 2011

It probably will. I thought Budweiser American Ale was a decent beer when I tried it, but it still paled in comparison to what they've done with the Michelob line. It's just funny that BAA was discontinued, yet things like Chelada stay on the market. I couldn't even find this sampler pack in any of the stores I visited. I am curious enough to try these things.

Leffe Blonde is okay, but nothing I'd seek out on a regular basis. I've never had the other Leffe offerings, so I can't really judge the entire lineup that well. It's probably for the best because if most places received the entire Leffe line, shelf space would be even more of a premium.

30. I love these types of threads.

I find it fascinating that a thread like this will end up with nearly everyone saying they will not touch beer from AB on principle, but it is unbelievably easy to find threads where nearly everyone says they will continue to purchase GI brews regardless of the fact that they are owned by AB. It's an interesting thing to see.... quite the conundrum.

Also, these threads tend to be educational! All the talk of previous attempts on ABs part to break into the craft side...I sometimes find things I did not know. Good stuff.

31. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

This will make for an interesting hangover!!!

32. epk

Meh, A I can agree on. B not as much. Despite Stella being what it is, it still taste different from Bud to me. Blue Moon is owned by a different company and Hoegaarden has much more history behind it. I'd argue it's a few notches in flavor above Blue Moon as well.

And I recommend trying Leffe - like I said, the Brune is my favorite - both hold "good" scores on here. Even the big boys can make "good" brews if they put their mind to it. It certainly isn't an award winner, but its something I don't mind drinking. There is also a whole line of other Leffes which aren't imported to the US, including a tripel, strong pale and dark ales along with a fruit beer.

33. epk

Obviously that would be Bud Light. I'd be interested to see instead, their take on a full bodied beer, hehe.

34. I think Crusader did an excellent job comparing and contrasting American Adjunct Lagers (e.g., Budweiser) vs. Euro-Lagers (e.g., Stella Artois) in this recent thread: http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/has-american-craft-beer-exceeded-european-beer.50369/page-4#post-653899

“In Europe the mainstream beers did not follow the exact same trajectory, in part due to aspects such as tradition (either our own or those of neighboring countries such as Germany and its purity law which influenced brewing traditions of other countries) and a more homogenous, stable culture if we look at the first half and then some of the 1900s. In Europe today the mainstream beer is not a 4.2% light lager but a 5% lager which isn't attenuated the way a light lager is, with an IBU of somewhere around 20ish (my best guestimate from having tried a broad assortment of European lagers). The taste of the average European lager, even if it appears dull and unimaginative in the eyes of a craft beer enthusiast, still has taste.”

Cheers!

epk likes this.
  35. I feel this beer pack is not marketed toward BAs or Craft beer drinkers, its marketed to the consumer that thinks they have more adventurous palate then bud, but not yet open to anything more then lagers and pilsners. Many people buy something because its marketed as being new and special/limited

36. I am not sure why this is a bad thing. I mean yes a brewery making wide mouth or cold certified cans is totally a gimmick. But a brewery trying to make actually good tasting beers, like a budweiser produced dunkel or pale ale, how is that a gimmick?

To me it seems hypocritical for beer fans and small brewers to trash the big brewers for making nothing but light beers and pilsners and relying on marketing for sales. But then when the big brewers recognize those complaints, and try to make more flavourful beer they get trashed for that too.

cavedave likes this.
  37. The principle concern that I have noted from BA’s is concern over distribution and shelf/tap handle space.

If AB-InBev starts producing what we consider to be craft beers, they have the financial (and other business) wherewithal to get their beers onto grocery shelves, bar taps, etc. This could impact the ability of existing (and newly formed) craft breweries to sell their beers since they need to be on shelf space (which is limited) and bar tap handles (which is also limited) to sell their wares.

Cheers!

38. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (350) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

Oh, beleive me, I'm fine with BMC making better products, that's not my issue. The Gimmicks I'm talking about are one like, "triple hops brewed" and Bud light platinum. If the big guys want to get into the craft scene then good for them. Their setback will be that they are still trying to make these beers for the everyday drinker that wants beer to taste... welll, not like beer. So far the bud beers don't look like they strayed all that far from bud original. But, it's a start I guess. Just like coors releasing Batch 19 and Colorado Native.

39. Nachos4two

Nachos4two Advocate (545) Illinois Nov 26, 2011

anyone seen this is the chicago burbs area, as my bro-inlaw is a huge bud fan,

40. cwreay90

cwreay90 Savant (365) Texas Nov 19, 2012

Oh Budweiser, why? -____-