1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Budweiser to release "Black Crown," a new line of higher-alcohol beers

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Todd, Nov 7, 2012.

1. uawildcat

uawildcat Aficionado (195) Arizona Aug 12, 2011

At least it will take less of it to get a buzz.

2. davesway10

davesway10 Advocate (500) Iowa Jan 23, 2010

I'm just guessing that we are not the target market.

Ford likes this.
  3. My one buddy is a die hard Bud man ALL the way . I dont even see this stuff geared toward him. It is just another marketing gimmick that will fail miserably
    Anyone else recall BUD DRY ?
    My point exactly !!!

4. buddha5050

buddha5050 Savant (325) Michigan Sep 27, 2012

lol

MN_Beerticker likes this.
  5. If you get it "Super Cold" and close your eyes it's black... and possibly almost drinkable.

Beerhunter623 likes this.
  6. n2185

n2185 Advocate (640) North Carolina Apr 14, 2008

I hope you're being sarcastic. Why would you hope that this is good? Do you want craft beer's market share to be reduced and to have more craft breweries go out of business? The worse this beer does, the better for the beers and breweries that most of us love.

Edit: On topic, this beer sounds as terrible as everything else they make. Bowtie cans! Beers that are a whole 6% abv! What terrible gimmicks that only appeal to people who watch Honey Boo-Boo and Ancient Aliens all day.

7. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

I'd guess thats because they will never admit that they are nervous about losing people to craft beer

8. Black Crown. Replace "Crown" with "Clown" and it'd be more accurate.

stooge likes this.
  9. Call me crazy but I don't think those who currently like and purchase craft beer are going to be swayed back to fizzy yellow lager.

Apparently this is already available now in the "Project 12" sampler packs which are just three different varieties of bud, all with subtle changes in the brew. I only tried the one from LA which is supposed to be the new black crown... Don't see anyone making the transition back needless to say.

10. trixdout

trixdout Savant (265) New Jersey Aug 12, 2011

I wonder when the day will come when BMC just lets shit go and actually becomes a true competitor. As of right now, they are the most naive set of "businessmen" I've ever read about.

11. n2185

n2185 Advocate (640) North Carolina Apr 14, 2008

Oh, I don't think anyone will completely revert or anything, but the more products they sell, the worse it is for craft beer since they do everything in their power to completely dominate the market and eliminate competition.

happy4hoppybeer likes this.
  12. I was busy learning how to walk, so no. What the hell is bud dry? The only information I can find is about the ad tagline. Was it different from regular bud at all?

13. Not that I recall but it was many moons ago now..

14. I look at ABI trying to hold down the craft beer movement as someone trying to hold back a waterfall with their hands. Even if they were to take a new approach and make a quality "craft style" beer lineup instead of rebranded lagers they still won't be able to dominate the market due to the sheer variety available. Their only real hope of staying so dominant is through manipulating the legal side and making it more difficult for small breweries to get their products on the shelf and hoping those population segments that are currently BMC/Import drinkers don't find the light.

15. Bud Dry sold 3.2 million barrels it's first year on the market (4/90-4/91), capturing over 1.5% of the total US market. AB's beancounters probably figured that wasn't too bad a "failure" and, IIRC, most of the other US major brewers at the time quickly followed suit with their own "Dry" beers. Heileman had a bunch of 'em, including...
    [​IMG]

16. Ford

Ford Savant (480) Texas Sep 8, 2012

Drunks and fraboys!

17. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (645) Florida Jul 15, 2011

Okay. I hope it's awful then.

18. It will take up plenty of shelf space with the other beers put out by the big three meant to be not crap-crap like PBR, Lone Star Bock and Henry Weinhard.

19. phooky

phooky Savant (420) New York Jan 23, 2010

When in Canada, I always see variations of Molson on shelves with higher ABV (eg Molson XXX) and always wondered why the American macros didn't try to tap into this market. Answers that question.

20. bottle cap collectors only.

jglowe77 likes this.
  21. Crusader

Crusader Savant (345) Sweden Feb 4, 2011

This product reminds me of this commercial for Coors Extra Gold

"It's got extra gold in it"

birdsellam likes this.
  22. I took part in a focus group a few months back that was centered on getting millennials to drink macro beer ... if that contributed to Black Crown then the opinions of the entire group were greatly misinterpreted

23. Crusader

Crusader Savant (345) Sweden Feb 4, 2011

That sounds really interesting, what sort of responses did they get? Was there a mix of macro and craft drinkers (of the millenial age group) present?

24. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

When I was in college in NC a few years back it was still carried in stores. I remember buying a 12 pack around 2006-2007 because I remembered the commercials growing up. Needless to say, it was terrible. And the bottle/package design was unchanged since the 90's

25. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Savant (350) California Feb 22, 2011

You've gotta admit, what they're doing is kind of cute. They awe twying so vewwy hawd.

jglowe77, gir02021 and Winston_Smith like this.
  26. It ran the gamete including primarily hard alcohol drinkers as well. Most of the suggestions were about different flavors (including randalizing) and barrel aging. Limited releases and more focus on local ingredients. Nothing really out of the box, more or less a bunch of 20 somethings trying to make easy $ for 2 hours of their time.

The other part involved figuring out how to make social networking and beer a thing. I kind of stopped talking after I had to explain to the leader of the marketing team what Untapped was.

27. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Advocate (675) Ohio Nov 11, 2011

Yum...more shitty beer by a macro. Can't wait to NOT try it.

28. jzand219

jzand219 Aspirant (45) Dec 3, 2012

I'm guessing the higher alcohol content will force people to drink less and therefore buy less? I'm confused..

29. boognish666

boognish666 Zealot (90) Nebraska Dec 20, 2010

Makes perfect sense to me. They make a higher ABV beer and eventually some stupid kid(the market for high ABV beer) dies drinking it. ABinbev admits their carelessness marketing such a dangerous product and gets behind a stance to ban all booze over 5%(ie most of the craft beer market). One dead kid however stupid they may be is all it takes to get everybody outraged and pass some stupid law(see 4 Loko with caffeine while both alcohol and caffeine in separate forms are legal but combined they are not). Hahaha, it sounds ridiculous but not much more than the marketing idea in the first place from a company that already has King Cobra which is essentially a vile, boozed up version of what they already sell.

30. cant wait till they start their their barrel aging program. Bud platinum in everclear barrels = instant whale

Beerhunter623 and kojevergas like this.
  31. Centennial

Centennial Savant (450) Vermont Nov 9, 2009

Well they did do all that research at the philly made in america festival featuring jay Z, and now are coming out with "black crown". Now I'm no racist but this seems pretty suspect to me.

32. Therefore, most of craft beer's market is "stupid kids"?

Looks like Budweiser Black Crown is 6% ABV (with a lower alcohol version for 3.2 states). From what I've read on these BA forums, that qualifies as "low" or "session" strength for many craft beer geeks around here.

[​IMG]

33. It's a good idea because it will cost almost nothing more to brew but can be wholesaled for $3.00 a case more!

34. I can see this appealing to Budweiser drinkers only. College kids, day laborers and people with no taste.

35. Right. It's not just frat boys who drink bud. Day laborers like it too.

36. Man, I really wish with all that billions of dollars of equipment they would actually churn out some amazing brew. Imagine turning brewers as creative as Vinnie Cilurzo or Sam Calagione loose in the AB labs/breweries with AB's budget. Man, imagine the beers they could come up with!

37. craigo19

craigo19 Savant (270) Michigan Oct 12, 2009

Another crappy product from AB that I will pass on.

38. This will probably be just as good as Bud platinum... -hard sarcasm-

39. bozodogbreath

bozodogbreath Savant (450) Indiana Oct 19, 2006

Man, that stuff was nasty.

40. bozodogbreath

bozodogbreath Savant (450) Indiana Oct 19, 2006

The mind collapses

Eastside151 likes this.