1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Budweiser to release "Black Crown," a new line of higher-alcohol beers

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Todd, Nov 7, 2012.

1. College kids under 21 is a part of the market for that stuff. Give em' a break. They don't know any better bro!
    tectactoe likes this.
  2. Ancient Aliens is freaking entertaining for a solid 2 hours every three months or so...
  3. Budt wiper
    Azzy likes this.
  4. Eastside151

Eastside151 Savant (450) Ohio Jun 29, 2012

not this one... Screw them I like my water with twist caps!
  5. Just tried this today. Although I haven't had an original Budweiser in a long time, I can't find much of a difference. There is a hint of flavor at the end but it smells of booze and (for lack of a better term) old beer.

Edit: very vague description, I realize, but this is Budweiser we're talking about.
  6. Mr_Brodie

Mr_Brodie Zealot (90) New York Dec 13, 2012

About time Budweiser added some class to their lineup, ot sounds like royalty. Move over Old English. I will have a forty of Black Crown located next to the Black Fist and Black Bull.
    I can't wait for the commercial.
  7. EyePeeAyBryan

EyePeeAyBryan Savant (470) Arizona Dec 20, 2011

What really really pisses me off in that adage article is that the CEO blames the rising sale of Bud Light due to the fact that it's marketing "outshined" Budweiser. Are people really only buying beer because it's what they see on TV, billboards and pop-up store signs? It makes me sick. If I stopped seeing marketing for Diet Coke, does that mean I should change to regular Coke? I can't believe how stupid consumers can be...
  8. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (835) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

There are probably a lot of people who don't take beer seriously. But they may have people over for dinner or a party or football game or something and they'll think- hm I should pick up some beer for the guests coming over- what comes to mind first e.g. from advertising, is probably going to be higher on the list.

Also, it would seem the vast majority of American beer drinkers want the light stuff. I imagine its mostly marketing, the whole 64 calories in a beer thing probably sounds attractive to a lot of BMC drinkers. As a medical professional, I can't say its worse than the majority drinking heavier brews in the same amounts though.
  9. But will it be quadruple hops brewed with refreshing notes of cold and smooth? Will the bottle include a vent hole and wide mouth for easy-drankin'? I've come to expect a certain level of quality with my BMC beers, and I'm leery of change.:D
    Beerhunter623 likes this.
  10. JimmyW

JimmyW Savant (270) Illinois Feb 17, 2011

This bugged me, too. I believe, however, that the CEO would be reluctant to credit the rising craft beer market for a decline in Budweiser sales. He'd rather say his other brands were simply marketed too well, taking attention away from Budweiser. I call "BS" on this one.
  11. 1983 Sales
    Budweiser - 42,700,000 bbl.​
    "Craft" beer - 47,000 bbl. ("Micro-breweries" - 14,000 bbl. + Anchor - 33,000 bbl.)​

2011 Sales
    Budweiser - 17,700,000 bbl.​
    "Craft" beer - 11,468,152 bbl.​

So, Budweiser is down by an amazing 25 million barrels, yet craft beer is only up by 11.4 million. Even if EVERY bottle of craft beer was bought by ex-Bud drinkers, how to account for the rest of the beer those former Bud drinkers once bought?

1983 Sales
    Bud Light - 3,680,000 bbl. (approx.)​

2011 Sales
    Bud Light - 39,850,000 bbl.​
    Bud Light Lime - 1,500,000 bbl​
    Bud Ice - 2,000,000 bbl.​
    Total - 43,350,000 bbl.​

So, the other "Budweiser/Bud Light family" beers are up 40 million barrels in the same period (during which AB's market share of the total US market increased from 32.5% to 47%).

Craft beer is growing while the overall US beer market and the macro brewers are generally stagnant for the past decade. But the Budweiser brand has had big problems for longer than that, which cannot be accounted for simply by craft increases, especially when compared to AB's own brands' barrelage. I'd guess AB's own internal market research is even more specific than these 'public' figures.

* Brewers Association, Brewers Digest and Beer Insights statistics.​
    bismarksays, johzac and Chaz like this.
  12. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (820) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

I will counter this move by putting a darker shade of red lipstick on my pig.
    JimmyW likes this.
  13. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

I'll try it.

I actually liked Natty Daddy. Bud Light Platinum was drinkable but I didn't care for it much. More or less tasted like a Euro Strong Lager, similar Lobster Lover's Beer only weaker.
  14. bctdi

bctdi Aficionado (190) Georgia Dec 8, 2008

This looks linke Inbev's answer to yuengling to me. It fits their MO. Bud is not an innovator. Lately they seem to wait for something to become successful, then either copy and rebrand it , or buy it outright. They are a marketing company who happens to sell beer.
  15. Coming soon in free kegs and bullied into retail shelves in a store near you.
  16. EyePeeAyBryan

EyePeeAyBryan Savant (470) Arizona Dec 20, 2011

Very true! Good point.
  17. This beer is the LA brewery's "Project 12" in different packaging. Of course I had to buy it to get the crowncap but it blows and will be another short lived AB experiment. As someone might have said in one of the post about AB project 12 or maybe this one... the problem here is the standard "Bud" drinker won't venture out of their "Bud" life and the craft beer drinker won't stoop to the "Bud" level.
  18. As with all Budweiser products that do not come in a 16oz Aluminum bottle, this POS uses a twist-off cap.
  19. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

Reasons why I don't consider Budweiser to be a worthwhile brewing company: Their "bold experiment" is making a beer with more hop character and more flavor than regular Bud.....what hop character? What flavor? It's not a bold move to add more rice and corn to an already foul beer.
  20. Well, it'd be somewhat bold to do it for a beer that at least some are claiming is all-malt (haven't seen anything to confirm that on AB's sites or PR's).
  21. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

Fair enough; it's still gonna be shit.
  22. Eastside151

Eastside151 Savant (450) Ohio Jun 29, 2012

**Edit to include resealable twist caps**
    [​IMG]
  23. Had one and...its terrible. Taste like bud with a little more kick. Gross!:confused:
  24. some people are beyond salvation. all we can do is surround ourselves with like minded individuals.

this is why we're here. respect the beer.
  25. Your right, sorry black crown is not my cup ot tea....or pint of beer......Someone I' m sure that likes Bud will enjoy.:)
  26. NewSouthRyder

NewSouthRyder Initiate (15) Feb 2, 2013

I'll start by saying I very much dislike Bud Light. I can stand Bud if there's nothing else. However I like this beer. It seems most of you on here wont even try it because you have the "big brands mean sold out" mentality. Like a band you like that becomes popular and makes a song you don't like, that means they "sold out" because its not what you wanted. Unless its some obscure beer its not "cool". I like higher ABV beers because I am more of a liquor drinker. Im a huge Imperial Stout fan, but I could drink Bud Black Crown and be OK with it. Get off your high horse. Its OK for a beer maker to call a a beer whatever they want. They aren't making up a name. Someone, somewhere, made up a "style" for your favorite beer once upon a time, it didn't just come up out of thin air.
  27. You're dropping some serious knowledge bombs for someone who just joined the board today. Can you give me some info on how to become a paid schill for InBev too?
    Damian74Shensky likes this.
  28. I think I could pull it off. Seems like you just need to a) be positive about the new product b) prove your good taste by being dismissive of a particular product in the lineup (that will still sell like hotcakes regardless of how BA feels about it) c) mention that you're a fan of <insert high ABV style here>
  29. TheGoldsmith

TheGoldsmith Zealot (80) Missouri Jan 20, 2013

Saw this on the shelves the other day. Piss with beechwood is still piss. In my experience there is a strange character in the frat scene of the "discerning" big-name drinker: some full-of-crap guy who wants to impress his friends but is unwilling to spend on or entertain the idea of craft beer.
    Damian74Shensky likes this.
  30. Crusader

Crusader Savant (345) Sweden Feb 4, 2011

That's the consumer that they are aiming for I guess, the ones who drink big-name beers and aren't ideologically opposed to the idea of macro beer, yet want something a bit different, something which is promoted commercially as more high end. The idea I guess is to influence those who have influence over others, so as to make Budweiser Black Crown a brand bought by the in-crowd which generates additional sales by people who come to view it as aspirational. Same as with Corona in a sense, where the party crowd create a certain air around a brand which in the end is a mild adjunct lager that could just as well be replaced by a bottle of Budweiser, only the latter doesnt have the same "sunshine credentials" as Corona. Marketing is a funny thing.
  31. Alextricity

Alextricity Advocate (700) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

Yeah... I pretty much can't wait for my friend that has a boner for Bud/Bud Light to try this beer and tell me it's the best beer in the world and better than any of that "Kuhnhenn shit" that I drink.
  32. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Savant (490) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Well @ least the name rings true for the evil empire "KING" of beers ...the Black Crown. Too bad they can't dig up Orsen Wells to do a "Black Tower"esque TV commercial.
  33. mcrago

mcrago Savant (335) Indiana Oct 6, 2012

I had the unfortunate privilege to trying this at a small bar in Indiana since they really didn't have anything but the BMC lineup. After trying it, I determined that they should have named it "Black Crow".
  34. BamaBoy24

BamaBoy24 Aspirant (25) Florida Feb 12, 2013

Yep nasty!!!