1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Build a six pack question

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by hoppinessisacoldbrew, May 22, 2013.

1. Is it a douche bag move to build a six pack of the same beer because it is much cheaper than buying a six pack? A store in my area has quite a selection in the build your own section. I built a six pack of Stone Levitation Ale for $8 instead of buying a six pack for $11. Manager seemed annoyed by this and asked why I didn't just buy a six pack. I told him because it's three dolllars cheaper this way. Should I have reserved the build your own option for trying new beers? If I know I like something and want a six pack should I pay full price?

upsbeernut, velcrogrip and RJM like this.
  2. raynmoon

raynmoon Savant (490) California Aug 13, 2011

They should have all the beers priced properly so that collectively, they equal the 6 pack price.

3. domtronzero

domtronzero Initiate (0) California Aug 18, 2007

The grocery by my house has this same thing and the beers in the mix-a-six section are generally cheaper than a full sixer of the same product. I do it all the time, but I usually put 3 and 3 into the pack just to make it not so completely obvious. If they don't have any rules posted about what you can mix and how many of each, I say go for it.

4. kevanb

kevanb Advocate (680) Illinois Apr 4, 2011

This, that beer manager isn't too good at his job otherwise.

5. Sounds like you found a loophole. Exploit that shit. Not your fault they are morons.

6. Their mistake, their bad. Reminds me of how at TW there are 12 oz bottles that are cheaper per oz. than the bombers, they should have caught it.

7. Go for it.

8. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

If it's not against the rules, not DB. DFH 75 and 90 were in the mix 6 for $9.99 recently, I bought 6 happily.

9. Nope, totally non-douche move. They want you to have a min of 2 varieties, they should post a sign stating so.

But anyway I saw the saddest sight today... a mix-a-six wine cooler section. :D

1000lbgrizzly likes this.
  10. I'm glad you all see it my way. The bomber thing is another issue at another store. They have $2 bottles and $6 bombers of several different beers. I asked them how many bombers they sell and surprisingly it was quite a few. I think I will spread them over several different six packs to make it less obvious next time. Good tip. I wouldn't want them to make any new rules. I did buy seven six packs of various things today. My wife was explaining to everyone that saw us with so much beer that we live in a rural area far away with no good beer so we have to stock up. I think she was a little embarrassed to be seen with me.

11. They probably are priced that way seeing how there were BMC choices as well.

12. Good place to meet 21 year-old girls, I bet.

13. negm

negm Aficionado (115) Maine Dec 15, 2007

I don't think u did anything wrong.... Singles should always should cost more than sixers thats how they make $$. good score...

skinsfan likes this.
  14. RJM

RJM Initiate (0) Djibouti Jan 20, 2013

Or, speaking as a beer manager myself, some of the stuff was on there for other random reasons. Sometimes when I'm filling a mix-6 I'll put things that aren't selling otherwise, things that I'm trying to clear out, or just random goodies for the beer savvy to notice and have fun taking advantage of. Of course, I also have to make sure that the mix-6 ends up profitable for the company, so for every 10.99 beer I put on I have to put up a 7.99 to balance it out. (our mix-6 is 9.99).

I do get a little annoyed when a customer grabs all 6 of something I put up there as a special item though, as my intent was to help people try out slightly more pricey beers, not lower the price for one attentive customer. Still, it's not against the rules or anything, so I keep my mouth shut.

15. Murphious

Murphious Aficionado (240) Illinois Nov 22, 2008

Not a douche move. But from store side, the manager should probably have made sure there are not 6 bottles of the same beer on the build your own shelf. Maybe also label it as "MIX-a-SIX"; meaning more than one brand/type. Avoids bad feelings and would also help keep people honest; how does he/she know someone doesn't take a bottle or two out of a brewery pack to make a discounted 6-pack? Or even take all 6 and put them in a build-a-six carrier? Hard to eyeball everyone in a store if it gets too busy.

16. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Its the hipster communist guilt fighting your inner capitalist.

On another note I have found a lot of mix a six coolers are the graveyard for beers. "Oh shit, this ipa is a month past the consume by date! Break up the six pack and get it sold!". Beware my friend, that levitation could be older than dirt.

szmnnl99, Shogun730 and Justinsosmart like this.
  17. dar482

dar482 Advocate (670) New York Mar 9, 2007

Makes no sense that the pricing is that illogical. It's the manager's fault.

18. BeastLU

BeastLU Advocate (520) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

Yeah if they have them there to make the six its fine. Now if you take beers out of four or six packs that is not in the pi k six area that's bullshit.

Ozzylizard likes this.
  19. tr9871

tr9871 Savant (270) Mississippi Apr 14, 2013

I've encountered this before too... they will have a 6 pack of some beer for 11.99 on the shelf, but there are plenty of them separated to put in mix a six containers for 8.99. I just do what someone else suggested on here already and grab 3 or 4 of those, then maybe two other kinds to "mix" it up. Conscience clear and no harm done.

20. I own a bottle shop and I have 3 different tiers for my mark-ups. Single bottles are most expensive. Then I have my whole 12 oz selection at a mix n match price which is the next tier below, then 6 pack prices. The simple part for me is that I operate in such a small space (literally 300 sq ft floor space) that I only have room for single bottles. You can build a sixer of all one flavor and you get a sixer price for only that beer. Throw one random beer in and it automatically bumps you up to the next highest tier. The prices for mix n match are about 25% less than single price so it stays the same across the board. Everything is fair and I make money without giving the customer sticker shock.

21. The store I shop at does the same sort of thing, but at $8.99. You can tell that some of the stuff on there is just to get rid of it, but some is also there to introduce new beers to the customers. There are times when I'm tempted to grab a sixer of something that normally sells for $10.99 per four-pack, but I usually just keep it to three and some random other things. It's more for other customers than anything else, though- I don't think the beer guy would really mind what happens once they are on that rack.

22. Enjoy by date is 7/14/13.

23. never fails. someone posts a thread about some aggrievement in which there appears to be no possible defense for the infringer, and I wonder how anyone (in this case the beer manager) could be so idiotic. then somebody comes along in the thread and chimes in with a perfectly reasonable alternate POV, and I'm like... huh. yep that makes sense.

Mgm54 and RJM like this.
  24. SpongeRuiner

SpongeRuiner Savant (285) Michigan Nov 27, 2012

Definitely make sure you check the bottle dates on make your own six pack beer. It's a big risk grabbing an IPA without a bottled date.

highdesertdrinker likes this.
  25. alex_hart

alex_hart Advocate (570) Oklahoma Feb 28, 2013

you guys have some very accommodating stores!

most packys I have been to have a "2 of the same bottle" limit for the mix 6's to rid themselves of this problem, and the ones that don't have this restriction increase the price of the single bottle by about 20% from what its true per-bottle price would be in the 4 or 6 pack.

From this they give 15% off if you buy a mix six, and in turn still have a 5% increase in profit for themselves and have happy customers leaving because they feel as though they saved money while at the same time getting a great selection at home.

26. socon67

socon67 Advocate (660) New York Jun 18, 2010

If they allow you to do it there's nothing inherently wrong. What may happen is that when enough people have that idea, is that you will see less of those higher priced selections in the section.

As someone who implements Mixed 6'ers for a company, an item that is $3 more sounds like the store didn't put thought into the item selection. Typically I'd only go with items $1 for a 6 pack unless it was to move older seasonals, introduce new items into the set, or beer that was bought on deal to give customers a surprise option.

27. I agree with what you are saying. I think if that one 6 pack had been all that I purchased, then it would have been a shitty move. But, I bought 42 beers in all, only 6 of them were the Stone Levitation Ale. The others were quite an assortment. And I am enjoying them quite a bit right now. I live in Tennessee so what you can get in a grocery store is limited by the 5% ABW law.

alex_hart likes this.
  28. alex_hart

alex_hart Advocate (570) Oklahoma Feb 28, 2013

i dont think they minded your purchase one bit.

29. bpasquini

bpasquini Savant (285) California Feb 26, 2013

agreed, that's his fault

30. BeerMeInStl

BeerMeInStl Savant (475) Missouri Jan 26, 2013

This is my experience with the places around here. I was going to do a mix-a-six last week and most of the bottles were old. Not expired, but not fresh either.

highdesertdrinker likes this.
  31. I once snagged a sixer of bourbon county for 13$ that way a few years ago. I felt kind of bad for taking advantage but I even mentioned the discrepancy to the cashier and he seemed not to mind.

32. cyclonece09

cyclonece09 Savant (365) Maryland Aug 5, 2008

I did it once with 5 of what was the good stuff and threw in 1 of something else I wanted to try to have a clear conscience. But if there is no "at least two varieties" rule, you are perfectly within your rights.

33. Chinon01

Chinon01 Savant (440) Pennsylvania Jan 23, 2007

I applaud your efforts sir.

34. Places outside of Boston have mix a six packs, but they have limits on certain styles and brands to force people to try new stuff. Beers also get rotated in and out to keep the freshness and variety going good.

35. I can't think of specific beers right now but this kind of thing happens quite a bit. I guess they don't figure you'll buy all six of the same beer

36. xk6m6m5x

xk6m6m5x Savant (290) New Jersey May 30, 2012

working a store...when you buy the 24pk of loose bottles its cheaper than buying a case of 6 packs....they do it to keep the cost down a little to encourage you to try new beer hoping you will just come back and buy a full 6

37. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad Savant (345) Michigan Sep 6, 2012

You bought out of date bottles or you are lying... $1.33 a bottle tells me they are selling last years product. I know a few places i can buy beer that was bottled last year for $1 each but i don't.

38. At one of my stores,
    They just have 5 coolers to pick from, wine coolers and BMC included at 8.99 as well!

39. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (830) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

I guess my local stores are either smarter (or dumber) because they don't offer up much quality for their mix 6 options. Best I can do is 10% off the single price (for buying 6) and that is never as good as buying a 6 pack.

Mitchell57 likes this.
  40. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Yeah as others have said if there is no sign saying you can't pick all the same beer go for it. My local go to shop prices everything as singles. Sure it is a little more expensive but the convenience of having the whole inventory to make mix sixers out of makes it worth it to me.

Ozzylizard and fredmugs like this.