1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Build a six pack question

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by hoppinessisacoldbrew, May 22, 2013.

1. See this is at a Giant Food grocery store ran by some totally clueless people. They have an end-cap "CRAFT BEER" mix-a-six that is filled with about 25% mediocre craft. With the rest being made up of fake craft, BMC garbage, cider, and malt beverages like Smirnoff Ice for $10.49. Then they have a new, separate, mix-a-six for the wine coolers... at $10.49. Haha, you just can't make this stuff up!
    smh

rabbitguy likes this.
  2. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Savant (495) Florida Jun 13, 2012

Ummmm, at most stores (TW included), the 12 oz. bottles are much cheaper per ounce than the bombers. I'd say 99% of the beers follow that rule.

Did you type that wrong?

3. I was referring to their individual bottle pricing as opposed to pricing out a 6/12 pack. Funny thing is I never thought about comparing the price per ounce on six pack compared to a bomber since the bombers I buy usually aren't distributed in 12 ounce bottles.

4. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Savant (495) Florida Jun 13, 2012

Even so, the single price/bottle is 20% (at most) more than the price/bottle when buying a 6-pack.

For example, at the TWs in the Tampa Bay Area, any sixer that goes for $9.99 (or $1.67/beer at that rate) has a single bottle price of anywhere from $1.79-1.99 per bottle... a single bottle premium of 7-20%. That same beer that costs $1.99 for a single (or $9.99 for a sixer) will cost $5.79 - $5.99 for a 22 oz. bomber.

5. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Your strategy is flawed. You need to get two six packs and put three Levitations in each, then fill the other slots with other beers. This way you won't be pointing out that they are stupid and you can take advantage of that pricing more than once. Now they are probably going to change the prices.

6. Sounds like the case of the PA problems to me. ;)

7. Levitation is $11 in your area? Christ almighty I'm never coming to visit.

TooGood likes this.
  8. sicilian

sicilian Savant (275) Florida Sep 30, 2008

Usually in my experience down here, the singles are individually priced a small amount higher than 1/6 of the 6 pack price of the same beer.. They are figuring you will pay a few cents more for them breaking up the pack so you can try the beer. Each single beer is marked priced and scanned individually and there isn't a SET price for a mix 6 pack. That way you can get a $1 beer and a $3 beer and a $5 beer in your mixpack

Ozzylizard likes this.
  9. MisterGrizz

MisterGrizz Savant (280) Texas Jan 8, 2011

A new trend is not pricing mix-a-six by the 6 pack, but rather pricing individual beers by their own price points so there is more variety for the customer and the business isn't at a loss. For instance, you can't put a Delirium Tremens in a mix-a-six and expect to make money at $9.99. The Whole Foods in North Dallas - at least in Plano, I'm not sure about the other locations - now prices all broken-up single bottles by their own price and not by a flat rate for 6, that way, everybody wins. Customers who want the pricier stuff can try it and buy cheaper bottles to go with it, or just buy a couple singles rather than an entire 6-pack. The sky's the limit!

Ozzylizard likes this.
  10. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

Those bombers fit in the carriers?

OP: There is nothing wrong with doing what you did and if they have a problem with it they should fix their pricing accordingly.

11. If it's a douchebag move then I am the biggest offender. Last summer a large grocery chain had GI Matilda & Sofie in the build your own for $7.99 and right next to it were the 4pks selling for $9.99. Grabbed two sixers thinking I'd never see that again. Week after week it was in the rack so I kept stocking up. They no longer carry those two so they were just clearing it out and I was glad to help.

12. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

Sorry, it was 60 and 90 in 12oz. Had to check the fridge.

13. Sneers

Sneers Savant (385) Pennsylvania Dec 27, 2009

Maybe it wasn't actually against the rules, but I do think it was kind of in bad taste. The way I see it is this: The beer manager started doing mix-sixes to be an extra convenience to be able to try some new beers without having to buy more of them- sometimes you might pay more per bottle than the original sixer and sometimes less (assuming a fixed price for the six; otherwise this isn't an issue), but the cost of the mixed-six is probably calculated to generally even out.

Personally, I think that having a good relationship with the beer guy can be a great thing for a whole bunch of reasons, and I think that exploiting the "sometimes less" aspect of the mixed-six to save $3 can only have a negative effect on that relationship. I of course don't know this guy's demeanor, but I have to imagine that if he remembers you, he's not likely to go too far out of his way to help you get some rarer bottles, show you new stock, etc.

Of course, at the big, "faceless" places (like the Wegmans by me), it seems rather unlikely you'd ever build such a relationship, in which case I'd say go for it.

14. Stooven

Stooven Aspirant (25) Illinois May 23, 2013

There are some Jewel-Oscos in the Chicago area (Mariano's has a great mix-6 section, too) where the selection is outstanding and filled with Uinta, high-ABV Flying Dogs, the occasional Imperial stout (including Founder's Breakfast). But mostly the other Oscos have your garden variety Bells, Two Bros., Great Lakes, Goose, etc. I was never so happy as one day there were a couple bottles of Lake Erie Monster there for the taking.

rabbitguy likes this.
  15. epk

epk Savant (325) New Jersey Jun 10, 2008

In the two stores I've done this, the singles are actually slightly marked up from what they would cost per bottle out of a 6 pack I believe.

16. I have no problem with what you did, I've done the same thing myself. About a month ago, the store by me had DFH Indian Browns in their mix a six section - a sixer of it is usually $11.99-12.99 and the mix a six section is 9.99. They had probably 12 of the DFH Indian browns, so I filled up my sixer with all six DFH's, plus I didnt really see anything else of interest in the mix a six section. To me, if it is available for the taking, it makes no difference if Six people take one or one person takes all six.

Ozzylizard likes this.
  17. It kind of has to go both ways. You can't say its ok for the store owner to come up with a round-a-bout scheme at making a few extra bucks by essentially charging more than the suggested retail price of a product.. and then say NO, its not ok for the consumer to try to save a few bucks by shopping smartly.

18. Phillyz

Phillyz Savant (460) Pennsylvania May 20, 2010

I think you may mean 60 and 90 min. If 75 min was 6 for 9.99, please ship me all of them.

19. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (595) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Similar here - everything is priced as singles, they individually check each bottle, then give you like a 20% discount or so. Not sure why given the havoc it must cause on the shelves, but my two go-to stores both do this. Would be interesting to see what happened bringing up a generic mix-a-six sleeve filled with six of the same...most I've done is three pairs of two Personally I think they would catch on no problem and give me the "heyyyy...whatcha tryin' to pull..." thing. But these two stores are pretty savvy and have decently trained employees.

20. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

Yeah, I corrected up a bit in the thread. ;)

21. Who doesn't love a good mixed sixer of Bartles & Jaymes?

22. My wegman's allows only 2 of each variety per mix 6

23. You got me, I'm lying. How did you ever figure out my plan to logon to BA, go to the forums, and anonymously lie about how much I paid for beer? And I would have gotten away with it if it hadn't been for you meddling kids! The enjoy by date is two months from now and the beer tastes great so unless you are one of those that must have your beer brewed just hours before you enjoy it, the beer was plenty fresh.

24. I've seen that mentioned a couple of times in this thread- I can definitely see a store instituting that policy if the system gets abused too often; seems like a good way to keep things affordable and interesting yet also under control.

25. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (385) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

Every store I've ever been to charge you MORE per beer when buying singles or for a mix a six, so whoever is setting the prices at that store is just dumb.

26. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (435) California Nov 20, 2010

Just because I'm curious, is the section called "Mix-a-six pack" or "Build your own six pack"?

27. I thought about it from that POV also, which led to this thread in the first place. This is an independent grocery store with an incredible selection (for a TN grocery store) in a not so nice part of town. It could almost be called an anomaly. I spoke to the beer manager the first time I heard of this place and he had just gotten the Levitation in for the first time. I tried it and loved it so went back and got 6 of them along with a lot more other stuff. I wouldn't wish living in TN on anyone looking for craft beer.

28. I
    I actually didnt know it was policy and tried to get 3 great lakes alchemy hour because i only wanted 3 for 3 other people and he said BC it was seasonal and to allow people to try it they limit it to two. Makes sense and was fine. I guess if it's not policy do what you want. If its policy and you are sneaky about it then that's Douchy . Ie a lot of beers have similar caps and you do it knowingly

29. The manager being annoyed is his problem. He made the rules. You're just a smart consumer playing by the rules.

Ozzylizard likes this.
  30. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad Savant (345) Michigan Sep 6, 2012

No not one of "those", but most if not all business owners are smart enough to price the merchandise accordingly. Singles are a convenience and that convenience comes with a markup.

31. Not even.. it was Seagram's. And I just went in on Saturday when it was kinda busy. Aw man.. I watched a couple walk up, "Oh look we can do a mix pack of these!" A few minutes later as Im leaving empty handed, I spot them heading to the register. Dood and chick both with their own 6-pack of wine coolers. :rolleyes: Guess I underestimated the general public.

32. The Mix a Six at my Wegmans typically has the usual mix of some good, some half-decent and some filler stuff, but every now and then there will be some really good stuff in there. Seems pretty common there for less than honest people to grab the empty carton, then go picking from the regular 6 packs of good stuff on the shelves that wasn't meant to be split up, leaving the store no choice but to put the remainder of the expensive ones in the Mix a Six rack.

Ozzylizard likes this.
  33. MarshMan71

MarshMan71 Advocate (625) Illinois Jul 17, 2012

Thats my theory ... " Exploite that Shit."

34. My local bottle shop offers mix-a-six, but there isn't a flat price for it. They just scan each bottle in the carrier, so if you get 6 expensive beers, your sixer costs more. I've never felt "guilty" for picking out 6 of the same beers, cause I'm paying for each bottle I pick. So if you can snag a deal like you did, don't feel guilty about it unless it breaks the store's rules!

Ozzylizard likes this.
  35. elementX

elementX Zealot (85) New York Oct 20, 2007

I usually always look for somethings that I have not tried. If there isnt anything that jumps in me cart, then I usually just go for the 6 tastiest, highest ABV brews. But usually the stores near me mix 6 selection is pretty lackluster. Bunch of broken Sams seasonal 12 packs and Shipyard...

36. sixerofelixir

sixerofelixir Savant (380) Ohio Oct 27, 2009

It is like this at every store that I buy singles from - there are no flat-rate mix-a-six packs. It requires more diligence on behalf of the store, but is the fairest way.

37. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Champion (935) New York Aug 25, 2010

Stores in my zone don't seem to care much for how you mix and match, and there's always something of a $ break for buying a full sixer - same beers or mixed beers, doesn't matter. In your sitch, take advantage of the opportunity provided you.

Ozzylizard likes this.
  38. Sounds like they need to learn how to price things - thats ridiculous, id make them pay for their stupidity

39. Dude, it's basic math.
    If the shop hasn't figured that out, have at it.

40. Geuzedad

Geuzedad Savant (485) Arizona Nov 14, 2010

Way to go bro. Exploit that mistake and milk it for all it's worth....Seriously dude it's their mistake. it said mix AND match right? Well you matched up six of a kind. Maybe they need to rethink their pricing. Don"t feel bad man, you were just using your head and saving your hard earned bucks to get what you wanted to drink.