Build a six pack question

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by hoppinessisacoldbrew, May 22, 2013.

1. Ruthlessly exploit it until their mix-a-six contains nothing but old IPAs and BMC.
    Wonder why the mix-a-six is such a bad deal.

2. Its a douche bag move to overcharge for regular six packs.

Ive done what the OP described multiple times. A store by where I used to live (a Sunoco gas station of all places), had really great prices on Mix Sixers (with a good selection too). But their prices on regular six packs were on the higher end. It was ofter cheaper to do a make your own 6 pack with all the same beers. I dont see a problem with it. The employees certainly never seemed to care.

3. eammmbeer89

eammmbeer89 Zealot (75) New York Jan 4, 2012

Many times beers end up in pick a six packs because they are old and out of code. I would be careful.

rabbitguy and DaKur like this.
  4. lwhcchh

lwhcchh Aficionado (120) Oklahoma Aug 31, 2010

The store where I work has a pick six section but we price all the beers according the price of the respective six-pack. We just divide the six-pack by six, add a nickel or dime to each bottle, and price them accordingly. All single beers are placed in our inventory as such and we simply scan each beer at check out for your total cost. There is no way we can put Westmalle, Chimay, St. Bernardus, Piraat, Duvel, etc. on the pick-six wall and price a six-pack at $8.99 or $9.99. Not a big deal. But we are in the business of making money. I have often wondered why a store would lose money on their pick-six section. I guess it is just lazy inventory control. Almost every beer we have in the store can be purchased individually. It takes some work but it is a great way for customers to try new beers before they invest in an expensive four or six-pack.

Ozzylizard and dar482 like this.
  5. Squatchito

Squatchito Savant (250) Virginia Dec 6, 2007

Not in the wrong at all. It takes rudimentary skill in arithmetic to price individual bottles properly. If they are too stupid, lazy or indifferent to fix it why should you be responsible?

6. dar482

dar482 Advocate (700) New York Mar 9, 2007

Pretty much this. I basically refuse to shop at stores that don't sell single bottles.

7. Pour management lol

highdesertdrinker likes this.
  8. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (560) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

F-him. Price it right register jockey or shut your trap cause I did the math. You're not the douche my friend, the establishment is for undercutting themselves. Raynmoon hits it right on the head.

9. I prefer my six packs and twelvers to be priced as economically a possible since I usually know what I want and some laughing guy in Pennsylvania told us we should never be complacent about the prices we are paying. I'm OK with aged product for two reasons: 1) It's a good way to get rid of it while bringing in fresh product 2) I can easily ascertain how good or bad that beer is though I certainly would want a fresher one the next time around if I like it or intend to do a review.

10. I actually think they should thank you... I'm a beer retailer, and frankly when people break my 6 packs up (I encourage this to try new things) I have extras lying around. Now I can either wait with the extras for another 6pk to break, which almost always leaves me with a beer older than the rest plus MORE odds out, or I can put it in a case and sell it off as a mix pack. I'd rather sell it off, make some money back, and make you the customer happy. If they didn't catch that they had a full 6er of something, that's their fault for being lazy! Take advantage and have fun!

xk6m6m5x and Ozzylizard like this.
  11. The store in question is a grocery store, not a beer store. The bottles are not priced individually. The retail 6 packs are kept cold. The build your own six pack selection is not cold. This is how they keep customers from building a six pack from beers not in the build your own section. I have never seen an outdated bottle in this store.

12. mellowmark

mellowmark Savant (465) Minnesota Mar 31, 2010

In my experience the "build your own 6 pack" is always more expensive than just buying a six pack, but it's worth it because I can try new beers without breaking the bank and I won't own beer I don't want to drink.

smakawhat and Ozzylizard like this.
  13. Murphious

Murphious Aficionado (240) Illinois Nov 22, 2008

Stupid answer there----sorry, I know a bit more now since working in the business---we put beers up that are 9.99 a six pack or less in the mix-a-six racks. So if the store was putting pricier beer in that mix, that's their prob. Could have been because of either an error or they had a damaged case come in and couldn't sell as packaged...?
    Cashiers have to learn stock so there are no pricey Belgians thrown into a mix.

ToriBug13 likes this.
  14. The local store that has mix a six will only allow two of the same beer and charges $16. I've only made my own sixpack two times to try a few brews I never had.

15. Miami66

Miami66 Savant (250) Nebraska Mar 19, 2013

I've only done a pick-6 at a grocery store called HyVee. It costs $8.99. You can also buy individual bottles on the pick-6 shelf for $1.57. Depending on which store you go to there is a variety of choices. The one that's a little farther away from me has a large selection of different brews. Some are old/out of season selections, some are ciders/mikes hard/wine coolers. However the vast majority of it is a random selection of different beers they are selling in 6-packs. I've had pretty good luck with this and its a good way to try some other beers I may not want a 6 pack of.

16. Totally agree. NTM its fun to drink six different beers without having to buy a case and a half. Do I feel a little stupid when I fork over 18 bucks for a six pack? - of course. Do I remember feeling stupid as I open the sixth delicious treat of the night with a big smile on my face? - nope.

17. The problem here in the Chicago area is the large stores use the build your own six pack scheme to get rid of old beer. That includes the more popular beers! Another way to rip off the consumer.

rabbitguy likes this.
  18. It's how I found out I don't like the new Gubna much and only had to buy one can.

19. The only place I do it at, you can choose anything in the store for build your own. I've definitely seen this scam. The "singles" sections is another variation

20. Chief005

Chief005 Aficionado (120) Florida Dec 15, 2013

There is a grocery store near me that consistently has Green Flash beers in their flat rate $9.99 mixed six pack selection. They almost always have Double Stout available. Sometimes I'll buy 4 GF beers and 2 of something else, sometimes I'll buy 6 Double Stouts, sometimes I'll buy 6 different beers. I don't feel bad at all, why would I buy 4 beers for 9.99 when I can get 6 beers for the same price? As long as they keep restocking them, I'll keep buying them.

Most recent journey resulted in 2 GF double stouts/2 sweet water happy endings/2 terrapin wake-n-bakes.

21. DaltonC

DaltonC Savant (310) Idaho Oct 10, 2013

I was just in Chuck's hop shop in seattle and they don't have any 12oz singles for sale, yet I asked an employee if they allowed people to break up the 6 packs and he said yeah we do but we don't advertise or tell people, they have to ask, and when your done set the broken six packs on the table. They use them for some mystery 6 pack thing idk...Anyways I felt so bad because I was taking 1-3 beers from a few diff six packs and it just didn't seem economically right for them but whatever, idk how they charged me for them.

22. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I don't build a 6, once those bottles are split they completely lose track, and with hoppy beers more than likely your getting old stock. I see loose cans of Dales and it's 6 months old or better, I can buy 2-3 week stuff from the cooler.

23. Where I go they dont put the DFH 12oz bottles with the singles thus you cant build a 6 pack with DFH bottles. I think thats kinda lame. I dont see people taking the DFH bottles out of their packs and sneaking them in their mix a 6 because I think the store would catch you if they saw that. Again, totally lame they dont have DFH singles for sale.

24. rabbitguy

rabbitguy Savant (315) Illinois Jun 18, 2009

Hello,

I've purchased many "build your own 6pack","craft your own 6 pack" at various beer and grocery stores over the years. When this stated some stores had a note that only 2 of the six could be the same. Now it appears you can place what beers you find in the six pack.

25. I know what you're saying, but $18 for 72oz. of beer isn't so bad. Two bombers can easily cost $20 and that's only 44oz. of beer. My only real problem with mix-a-six isn't the price, it's that they usually only have old, warm beers to choose from.

26. rabbitguy

rabbitguy Savant (315) Illinois Jun 18, 2009

The newly opened Mariano's in Wheaton has a good 6 mix selection and craft beer section.

27. it's not bad, but it's on the very high end for anything that comes in six pack format. I am never dissatisfied with the purchase

28. BEERZILLA

BEERZILLA Aficionado (115) Texas Jun 9, 2013

I do one better or worse than that depends on how you see it,I pull singles from six packs that are not in the make your own six pack section.hey I feel like if their ain't no rules posted than its open season.now some stores are smart and price each beer individual but some are still behind and charge a flat rate price.now when you see high price craft beer that should not be in singles it's because they are old and past their date.

29. blackcompg

blackcompg Savant (325) Illinois Feb 13, 2011

I've done this exactly, and have managed to garner a good amount of Sculpin "this way" for $9.99 ea. - but as already mentioned, check ur dates if your adding ipa's to your mix. I do this alot at my local Jewel, where they have never "frowned" upon this, and seem very happy to keep their inventory moving and fresh.